Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Shiny Side Up!
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oops... was installing my aftermarket gas cap, when one of the small bolts (one of the two that don't actually attach to the tank) popped out and into the gas tank. Any ideas as to what I should do to get it out? They're stainless, so a magnet won't work...

Should I be removing the tank and draining the gas and just turning it over to shake it out? Anyone else ever have this problem... what do you suggest? Is there an easier way?
r
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I have an '05, btw.

· Khaos
1,375 Posts
on my 05 i did the EXACT same thing, and i had to end up tanking the tank off and pulling the fuel pump out of the bottom and getting it out....i tried shaking it out of the top and it wouldnt do it

· Shiny Side Up!
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK then...get a bucket...pull the tank, and drain it in the bucket..
Thank you SO much for that advice. lol

Now, for what I was really looking for... do I turn the damn thing upside down and drain it out, or is there a bolt or something I can disconnect underneath to drain it.

On the magnetic bolt issue, when I tried the matching gas cap bolt on a magnet, it wasn't sticking... so, either it won't work or I need a stronger magnet. I'll go pick up one of those magnet tools, anyhow - it's worth a shot. If not, I'll pull the tank... maybe change the plugs while I'm down there. lol

· yield
17,882 Posts
The also have extended bolt claws. Tension loaded that work great for such issues. Try that bro. Its a tool that is good for your toolbox forever.

· Life is GRAND
1,992 Posts
Try a flexible tension claw. If you don't have one get one they are worth their weight in gold!!! If you tried it already and it didn't work sorry. Oh if you are using a flashlight to see in there make sure it's sparkproof. We don't want to hear about you on the news brother!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.