Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I eat my R1
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some one told me that if I drop my forks in my triple clamps like 4 to 5 MM it will make it handle allot better. Anyone ever hear of this or try it on a R1? I did it to my 1994 F2 a while back ago and it made a big difference but that bike was totally different.

·
slowest rider ..rides in front
1,148 Posts
I dropped my forks about 3/4 of an inch .. made my bike look and ride more agressive (due to the angle) .. the turning was sharper .. I did how ever put more weight on the front forks when riding .. so remember to adjust the dampers correctly ... and becareful when you park your bike .. the kick stand is kinda tricky .. remember it lowers your ground clearance .. I'm about 155lbs and 5'8 so the bike seem to fit me better after I dropped the forks ... I wouldn't go more than 1 inch max

·
Really?
208 Posts
Of course when they say "drop" the forks, they actually mean raising the fork legs in the triple clamps, thus making the front of the bike lower, which in turn reduces stability and speeds up the steering. I´d say 4-5 mm is a good place to start. I personally wouldn´t go further than 10 mm maximum, anything more than that and ground clearance would suffer real bad. 3/4 inch sounds way too much to me. If you´ve never experienced a tankslapper before, I have a feeling you will. Real soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.