Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
This end up!
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to put a dual caliper bracket on my 2002 yamaha r 1.I can't seem to find a bracket anywhere at anywebsite.does anyone know how or where I can get a setup for my bike so I can run a rear handbrake and dual calipers?

·
just because
7 Posts
I know your pain. I have been looking for stunt parts for months and can only find a few. But none of the cool ones. I have been trying to find a dual caliper braket with no luck. I think our best bet if you want two cilipers on the back is to buy an additional braket cut off the axel hole and weld it to the side of the one that is already on the bike. May require some interesting jigging but it shouldnt be to hard. Since you have the 03- model your rear master cylinder should be compatible with a tear drop style junction valve to replace were the resivoir currently is and just run another line to a hand brake. Those are the options i am throwing around right now. If you find any interesting parts please post them. Id love to get my hands on some stunt parts for my bike. But for now it looks like we have to fab our own and get creative. Here is my build so far :D

Attachments

·
This end up!
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, i really need to check out my buddies 01 R6. I know that alot of the parts like the rear rotors are the same as the ones on my bike. I am wondering if the dual piston Rear bracket that they make for that will work on mine, with some minor fabrication. I will have to get back to you on that one tomorrow though.

·
just because
7 Posts
Hey so did you check into that caliper braket? Id love to use a bige rotor on the back of my bike with a couple fours piston calipers.

·
just because
7 Posts
I check those companies out to no avail. I was thinking of running a tap but id have to swap out the mc for an older model. I really want to run a completely seperate system for my hand brake though. It just looks so cool. I just found out that that the r6 components such as axel rear rotor and sprocket are compatible with the r1. The caliper braket is a diferent part number but im sure if i go with hoheys dual caliper braket for the r6 i will only need minor "tweeking" to make it work. Possibly just removing the part that slips into the arm and bolting a rod from the arm to the bracket to stop rotation. Then getting a r6 rear caliper if the r1s dosent fit and rock a honda front caliper and done. Hahaha. Sounds easy right?
Any of you guys already running huge sprockets? I was thinking about going with a 60t but my buddy has to ride the hell out of his bike with that. I think im more street than lot. You think something like a 55 would do me good?

·
just because
7 Posts
Naw. I'm 6'4" 250 lbs. I've had 600s before and they just don't feel right. As it is I already make my r1 look like a mini bike. As for being more dangerous. This is the stunters forum right?

·
This end up!
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright I've now got countless hours into researching this dual rear caliper bracket. A couple of days ago I bought a junction valve that bolts to the top of my rear master cylinder to tide me over until I am done making the rear bracket. Since nobody makes a rear bracket for the O2 - 03 R1, I went on eBay and purchased another rear bracket with a caliper in it. Shoot it even came with a set of pads in it as well. It cost me a total of $25. So I am going to cut the extra caliper bracket so that it can be welded or tig welded together. I plan on doing this myself since I have everything needed. But if you don't, take it down to the local weld shop and it will probably cost you about 40 bucks for them just to weld it together. Even after I have this bracket set up and on my bike I will probably still leave that junction valve on the master cylinder. That way I will only need a line to go from my master cylinder to the first rear caliper with a double banjo bolt. And then another brake line from the first caliper with the double banjo bolt to the second caliper. That way whether you are using your hand break or your foot break you have to CalPERS working at the same time better breaking power and all that good stuff. The only reason why I would like to set it up like this is because I cannot find a bigger rotor that will fit on my rear wheel. And with the smaller rotor you will obviously need more breaking power, hence the two calipers.

All in all it will probably cost me about 100- $125 to do. But in the long run or in the future I plan on having a machine shop just make me a rear bracket or hey maybe today I will just call ho hey designs and see if they can custom make me one. I just don't feel like spending around $500 for a bracket that I can make.

·
Stunt it! Crash it! Repair it!
413 Posts
That sound fine but please make sure the welds are very, very good. I've heard stories of the homemade brackets that have snapped due to weakness. Consider the amount of force you're using to bring the bike to stop.

·
This end up!
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Riddick, That is perfect! I see run man on the bracket. How do I get my hands on that because I want to go that route. Or would rather go that route. I see that you are running 2004 to 2006 front calipers. I wish you chimed in a lot earlier! And as far as the welds go, I am not worried about that I have about 16 years of experience.

·
This end up!
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well there you go you are running an R6,you can find rear caliper brackets for those things everywhere. I thought you were running an 02-03 R1.so I ended up looking over the web for that bracket and found out some information on it. It is a small machine shop run out of Tampa Florida by a guy named Bill Runman.I cannot find a phone number address or can't even get a hold of him for nothing. But I am also found a machine shop next to where I live that will make basically the same exact bracket for me.as soon as I have one made I will post a picture and business name and address and phone number for all.

·
just because
7 Posts
Hey any luck with that dual caliper braket? I got a second stock one and am gonna have them welded together but id much rather a proper one.

·
This end up!
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have not had any luck with finding a bracket. I am having to stock brackets welded together as well as we speak. I am also having an adapter ring made to put a front rotor on the rear wheel.and while they well the two brackets together I'm going to have it links and a little bit to accommodate for the larger rotor. Instead of using two brackets I am using three to accommodate three calipers.then, over the winter time I am going to fabricate my own triple caliper bracket. It seems quite easy. I will have to have some pictures made up and post themso anyone wants to do the same thing they can.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
4 Participants
Bones Dragon-E
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing