Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
slowest rider ..rides in front
1,148 Posts
I know ... the ducati (street version) does lack hp ... but if you ask me 100bhp or more strapped between your leg is pretty fast already .. simply love the ducati for styling not power or realiabilty

·
Hooligan
195 Posts
I have a 996. The bike is all about handling. Its a race bike like the RC51. Not an extreme amount of power but certainly enough. I bought one because of what it is - an Italian race bike with a soul that you can actually feel when you ride it. I think a lot of bikes are overpowered for their suspension. The Duc is very well balanced. You can ride it amazingly fast. The compromise is comfort. It is the most uncomfortable thing to ride.

I like the new 998. In my opinion though updating to the latest model Ducati isn't needed. They are all cool, no matter how old they are. I'm keeping the 996 and buying the 2002 R1. From what I hear the new R1 is going to be close to the 996 in handling, but more comfortable and powerful. I'll update this posting sometime next spring.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
Had a 916 and will never own one for the street again,will however get one for track use only,nothing is better on the track than Ducati but way to uncomfortable for the street and the price tag is always in the back of your head while doing wheelies and stuff. I think Ducati has a little square

·
Fun=Riding R1 or snowboarding
179 Posts
Never owned one but they sure are nice looking. For the extra 10 grand you do get what you pay for. Just look at it. They come stock with all the mods you'd want to do on a bike. Carbon Fiber, Single Sided Swingarm, Ohlins suspension, Marchesini Rims, under seat dual Termignon exhaust, and more. All that adds up. Wish they had a digital speedometer standard though. Its amazing the body style hasn't changed since 94'. Its that great of a design. Interesting I talked to a Ducati Salesman who rides a Champ R6, he says for 2003, they will change the body style of the 998. Can't wait to see what that's like. The new 2002 Ben Bostrom Limited Edition 998 looks nice.

·
1,148 Posts
R1_CR said:
Wish they had a digital speedometer standard though.

Its amazing the body style hasn't changed since 94'.
Yeah having a digital speedometer would be nice ..

it won't change for another year .. light cosmetic changes to the fairings ...

they will also have a silver 748 for 2002

I love how the the Ducati V-twins sounds ... :machinegu

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
I was thinking of buy the Ducati 748 a while ago.. but for me Ducati's are too much work.

I'd rather take my R1 out and rip and play .. and have fun..

The Ducati's are way too expensive for my wallet.

·
Hooligan
195 Posts
Ducati is supposed to have a 999 coming out soon. That's 666 upside down. Cool! I haven't heard too much about it. I hate that new Multistrada though. The rear end looks awesome, but the front is the most butt ugly thing I have ever seen. It makes the Aprilia Blue Marlin look sexy.

Its funny how the hot thing in cars is retro analog clocks, but everyone on bikes wants digital speedos. Digital is definately nice when you have a 180 mph range because it makes it easier to read.

·
Registered
88 Posts
CANT THINK OF A SEXIER LOOKING RACE BIKE THAN THE 996 . MAN I REALLY WANTED ONE ,THEN I DID SOME RESEARCH ,TALKED TO SOME OWNERS , TOOK A 5 MINUTE TEST RIDE ON A 2000 996. ITS NOT A BIKE FOR THE REAL WORLD(MY OPINION).THE MAINTANENCE ALONE WOULD KILL MY BUDGET , BUT BELIVE IT OR NOT THE INSURANCE IS CHEAPER THAN ON MY 2001 R1 !

BUT IF IM EVER FILTHY RICH I WILL HAVE AT LEAST ONE DUCATI IN MY GARAGE.:)

·
1,148 Posts
maintenance is a b|tch ... $1000 for the first valve adjustment @ 600 miles .. and yes the insurance is cheaper ... but who siad a Ferrari was low maintenance:D

it would be great as a second bike ..

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
When I am rich I will get another one but for track use only,way to uncomfortable and expensive for the street and they don't wheelie for $h!t

1 - 12 of 12 Posts