Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking at getting a R1 but I also like the Ducati Monster or the Ducati 748. I was wondering what you guys see as a diffrence between the two (the Monster 900, 748 and the R1).

Thanks

·
Transmission Abuser.
1,573 Posts
Want some good advice ? Go with the R1. I've owned a brand new Monster S4, and it was just not "there" quality-wise. It felt kind of agricultural even compared to my 1998 ZX-9R.

The ducs look good, but mechanically they are just not on par with the jap bikes. This certainly goes for the 2004 crop of new jap liter bikes - you can't go wrong with either of them.

Of course the sound from the dual underseat Sil pipes on the Duc was sweet, but I think certainly the Yammy has caught up to the Italians in the design department, and is light years ahead technically.

·
It's like wo
136 Posts
i had a 748s and i loved it, lots of torque but comparing the r1 to the 748 :2bitchsla , now if you want to compare the r1 to the 998 thats a different story :rock

138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
As you guys know I am shopping for a bike, so I just am looking for imput.
So the 998 is the Duc = to the R1?
I googled it, it doesnt look as nice as the 748, I mean damn looks like it got hit with the ugly stick....the R1 so far seems to be ontop of my list

·
Faster than sh*t!!!
841 Posts
SuperchargedRS said:
As you guys know I am shopping for a bike, so I just am looking for imput.
So the 998 is the Duc = to the R1?
I googled it, it doesnt look as nice as the 748, I mean damn looks like it got hit with the ugly stick....the R1 so far seems to be ontop of my list
Dude the 998 is identical to the 748

I think you mean the new 999....cause that is ugly:boom

·
R1 2FEAR
612 Posts
04R1Belgium said:
Want some good advice ? Go with the R1. I've owned a brand new Monster S4, and it was just not "there" quality-wise. It felt kind of agricultural even compared to my 1998 ZX-9R.

The ducs look good, but mechanically they are just not on par with the jap bikes. This certainly goes for the 2004 crop of new jap liter bikes - you can't go wrong with either of them.

Of course the sound from the dual underseat Sil pipes on the Duc was sweet, but I think certainly the Yammy has caught up to the Italians in the design department, and is light years ahead technically.
agricutural!!!!:lol :lol :lol

·
Self Appointed
736 Posts
998/999 = number of CC's
R1 = 998 cc's
748= 748 cc's
The 999 is like the R1 because it is a liter bike. The 748 is not.
But even the 999 can't compare to the jap bikes for straight line power (as far as I know).

The Monster is a whole different class of bike.

·
The World's Laziest
1,703 Posts
Question is...how long have you rode? From what you're asking, i'm assuming you've never rode.

138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The question is where do these bikes stand in regards to each other (as the first post states)

...you do know what happens when you assume right?
I have ridden (HD Sportster 1200), I am just shopping around for a new bike (sport bike), the Monster looks to me like a sport/cruiser weird bike and the others are also sport bikes like the R1, none the less I am probably going to get a R1 I just am feeling things out a little.
I would rather ask a stupid question, then get ****ed over by making a mistake.
So lets keep the assumptions to a minimum and stick with the facts ok

·
The World's Laziest
1,703 Posts
SuperchargedRS said:
The question is where do these bikes stand in regards to each other (as the first post states)

...you do know what happens when you assume right?
I have ridden (HD Sportster 1200), I am just shopping around for a new bike (sport bike), the Monster looks to me like a sport/cruiser weird bike and the others are also sport bikes like the R1, none the less I am probably going to get a R1 I just am feeling things out a little.
I would rather ask a stupid question, then get ****ed over by making a mistake.
So lets keep the assumptions to a minimum and stick with the facts ok

Wow, someone's uptight tonight. :crash Power vs. no power. Tame vs. untame. Again, I'll assume you know the vast difference in power output between the bikes you're asking about? If not, I would certainly visit the manufacturers website and do a little researching. The bikes you are comparing couldn't be anymore different if you threw in your HD 1200 into the mix. The difference is that vast. Have you ever handled 130-160 whp on a 400 lb or less sportbike? That would basically fit the R1's profile. The Ducati Monster...let's just say it doesn't even come close. It's probably more similar to your HD than the R1. You decide.

p.s. Also take into account you're talking about a twin with any of the Ducati bikes. Even with the very close 1000cc capacity...it won't come close to the inline engines as far as peak hp goes.

·
Go buy a DUC! u know u want it
290 Posts
I actually own a 748 and love it.. obviously it doesn't compare to the 996/998 or R1 but I enjoy riding it. Plenty of power for me and she sounds way better than any Jap bike.

I guess its whatever tickles your fancy.

·
I should be riding
628 Posts
What people are saying here is you are basically asking what is the difference between a hayabusa vs a 84 NightHawk.

You really can't compare the 2 together. They are worlds apart.
Both are beautiful looking bikes.
A Monster is V-Twin and air cooled,. while an R1 is a 5valve-4 banger, water cooled. No comparison.

What I suggest you need to do is to learn about the bikes for what they are. Then compare it to what you want to do with a bike and/or how you want to ride.

·
Here kitty kitty
607 Posts
I don't think he is asking which bike is faster he is asking for input on each bike

I had an 02 R1 and everytime I rode that bike it made me laugh in my helmet. Silly power, good handling and sexy looks

I had an 01 748s and loved it. Nowhere near the power of the R1 but it handled awesome and nothing beats the sound. Excruciating bike to ride around town though

Have not had a Monster but this one is the most comfortable and has decent torque as long as you get the 900. They handle well and again, it's a Duc, they are more interesting in my opinion

Hope that helps, look up the Wolfpack since you are in Washington

Craig

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
The 748 is going to be comprable to a 600. I'd look at something like a R6 as it will offer more performance than the 748 or the monster for a lot less money. It would also be a HUGE step up performance wise from your sportster...

- BA

·
Beer me
3,889 Posts
Well, since you had a Harley, you're used to your bike being in the shop. So then go get a Duc. But if you would rather ride than spend a ton of $$$ on repairs and maintenance, get the R1. But be careful with the throttle 'cause you're looking at about twice as much power with half the weight of your HD 1200. No :bs

·
Big Pimpin'
190 Posts
SuperchargedRS said:
I am looking at getting a R1 but I also like the Ducati Monster or the Ducati 748. I was wondering what you guys see as a diffrence between the two (the Monster 900, 748 and the R1).

Thanks
Like everyone stated, they are very different bikes. Hands down the R1 is the most powerful and best bang for the buck.

The Ducati 748 is essentially a 750cc bike. Power wise it is comparable to an R6. At around 100HP. It is a sexy bike and I almost got one, but it was a little more than I wanted to spend at the time. Also, as stated it is a bit on the uncomfortable side. I will definitely consider a Ducati liter bike for my next bike.

The Monster is a naked bike (i.e. no fairings). Performance and looks wise, I would put it closer to a standard or cruiser. Still a great bike and can be had for a lot less than the other 2. The thing about Ducati is that it is a whole different breed and maintainence is a killer.

Tell us exactly what your riding style and intentions are.

Eric

·
Banned
9,594 Posts
SuperchargedRS said:

Thanks

*** RECALL ***1993-2002 Ducati motorcycles

Problem: Clutch control could jam, causing a crash.

Models: 1,300 model 600, 750, 748, 916, 996, 888, 998, 906, 907, 851, ST2, ST4, Paso, MSFOG, M62OD, 955SP, and 900 motorcycles.

To each their own.. You'll get a lot more out of an R1 than you will that monster. Or any duck for that matter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts