Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
286 Posts
There a nice video on this site of two guys going around Nurbergring in Germany. The camera is mounted on the R1 the bike in front is a Ducati (prolly a 996 of some kind, not sure though). Watch as the R1 idles to keep up, eventually passes him and never looks back. The duke did'nt stand a chance. Watch the rev's on the clock to see how easily the R1 keeps up. It rules!:rock and I wish I had one! :( I need to save some more! :) Soon.

DjfLoYd
R1 :machinegu Dukes

· High speed low drag.
180 Posts
Great bikes if you're gonna race 'em, but I wouldn't want one to ride on the street. I've heard they're painful to ride for anything but short trips. Plus the thought of having that exhaust under the seat and tail makes me cringe just thinking about riding in 90 plus degree weather. Not to mention the closest Ducati dealership to me is about 90 miles away. I'd hate to have it go tits up and have to put it on a trailer just to get it to the shop for some warranty work.

If you can live with the drawbacks and that's what you want, I'd say go for it. Wish they'd freshen up the styling a little though, especially the tail.

· Registered
325 Posts
#@&*!

if you got 20 g's to drop in a bike with 30 less hp. Not to mention it is a v-twin. go ahead but if ya pull up next to me. How are you gonna feal to know you are about to get smoked! Stick with the r1. I've done work on a few duc's its not ducati that makes the bike its. olhins, brembo, perrelli, and other people high end parts.

· That spot in my mirror's what?
282 Posts
If you were a real biker you would get a Bostrom Edition 998. Or at least just a 998. I would still respect you don't worry. Anything that can go over 200mph has my respect!

· Illuminati
1,059 Posts
Give me some of that $hit you've been sniffing.:eek:

· Registered
1 Posts
dude , when you buy a ducati you buy the name and that is just my opinion . i believe if i was going to get a v-twin then i would forget the ducati and a tl1000r and get a honda rc51 . but i like my r1 . funat185 knows what he is talking about . i totally agree with him .

· ...but I don't smoke!
305 Posts
DjfLoYd said:
There a nice video on this site of two guys going around Nurbergring in Germany. The camera is mounted on the R1 the bike in front is a Ducati (prolly a 996 of some kind, not sure though). Watch as the R1 idles to keep up, eventually passes him and never looks back. The duke did'nt stand a chance. Watch the rev's on the clock to see how easily the R1 keeps up.
R1 :machinegu Dukes
this is simply not true. if you would have some grasp of the german language you would hear dahne say (the r1 rider) that the guy on the ducati hasn't been riding on the nuerburing for the last couple of years...

the guy on the ducati was simply out of practise. And they were drinving for fun, they were not racing...

technically speaking the ducati is capable of higher cornering speeds because it is smaller thus the rider can lean more...

392 Posts
I agee with you Leean! It's a legend.
I mean come one it's like a Ferrari of the bike world!

If I had 35 000$ Canadian I would get one for sure!!!

You get a R1 then when a redesigned model comes out
you want to get the new one. But a Ducati you just
keep it cause every model is a classic!

Sweet!

· R1 - Bodhi
146 Posts
Ducatis are a different beast than the R1. Both have their niche. The Duc is simply a race bike. It does not have the balls out straight-line power of an R1, but makes up in the turns. People will point to hp numbers, but this is an unjust comparison. The v-twin has different torque characteristics than the 4. If all I wanted was hp I would have a turbo Busa. Riding is more than looking at a piece of paper and pointing at graph. Ride the Duc; you will know if it is the bike for you.

· R1 as `THE NAKED TRUTH`
34 Posts
"Ducatis sound like shit!

I was at the dealership buying some blinkers for my R1 and there was this dude on a Duck, he reved it high and it just sounded like crap..."

Naw dude, I gotta comment and disagree with that one. A friend of mine use to have a 996 with forza pipes on it , gotta say that was the best and loudest pipe Ive ever heard. it made your heart rumble like when you stand in front of speakers at a concert.

· Registered
14 Posts
ducatis are definately race bikes, you can feel the european edge on it, stiffness...however the R1 is a pimp bike....I would buy a Ducati for fun but they both are for there own times, Its a bike you have to get adjusted to, but a beauty to ride.

· Turd Ferguson
682 Posts
I had a 2000 996 Monoposto with Termignoni pipes and a several extras. I liked the bike alot and it got alot of attention, especially from the females. The sound is incredible, but that's what sells alot of them. You're buying alot of name and prestige for what you're really getting. The bike is a horrible street machine and is only good for about 100 miles before carpal tunnel sets in. Don't even think about riding it in traffic, the engine heat and stiff clutch will drive you mad. It's great in the curves, but you better know what you're doing, it doesn't tolerate novice rider mistakes. It'll put you on your ass in a second if you're not careful. Get ready to do alot more maintenance and spend more $, the bike is typical Italian machinery (the reliability leaves something to be desired). After the newness and cool factor wear off a little, will it still be worth it? I sold mine and bought a new R1. It's faster, easier to ride, MUCH more comfortable for the street, and I can hook around the track faster b/c it's more confidence inspiring. The only way I'd have it is as a second bike. Ducatis are niche bikes, much like BMWs. I had an awesome time with mine but the fun faded after a year and reality set in. They're alot like Ferraris or Corvettes, everyone needs to have one once in their life. It makes you appreciate how good Yamahas and Hondas are.

p.s. I'd rather adjust my valves every 26,000 miles instead of 6000 anyway. Let's not even mention the cost of services.

· twisty road x R1 = huge smiles
426 Posts
Each bike has it's own place i suppose and the sound of a twin is nice (thought about aprilla before the r1) but there is nothing to beat the sound of a 4-stroke on full chat anyday , now that sounds fast. At one point oi did think about a duke as well nice looking bike but then i checked out the serviceing costs YIKES !!! but then again if everyone was the same then there would only be one make/colour !!:confused:

· R1,The need for speed
21 Posts
WARNING!!!
Ducati-mechanics are not very reliable.
I know what I'm talking about. I've had a 748SP.I've had it for 9 months of which it had been in the workshop for over 3 months all toghether.The bike only had 6000 Km on the speedo. Broken cranckshaft,electrical problems, side-cover went of and all the oil on the street instead of in the bike,...
After a while I got sick off it and tried to sell it, which is not easy. Everybody overhere talks about Duc and would like to have one but if you try to sell them one they are gone.
But nevertheless it was a fun bike to ride,great breaking,nice cornering,nice design but expensive and unreliable,and that's the conclusion.
If I were you I would think twice about it. Or better if I were you I wouldn't even think about it STICK TO THE R1:rock
Greetings from Belgium to you all R1-fans. :thumbup

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.