Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Hold On
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trying to find a rattle (not ticking)on new R1. It makes a fast vibrating rattling sound only in 3/4/5/6 gears at about 3500-4200rpms when you slowly give it gas in that rpm range. Took it to the dealer and put it on a dyno and could not duplicate the sound. It did make the noise when I rode it back home. I assume that the dyno is putting the same kind of load on the rear tire as if were on the street. So, if that is true, the only thing that wasn't moving was the front wheel/brakes. The front tire was cinched down. I've tightened up the clips that hold the brake pads..same noise. I've even tried to stretch my leg out and touch the caliper with my foot to see if I could feel the rattle in the brakes...leg not long enough. I've checked everything I could think of ie...EXUP/ airfilter/exhaust.ect.. I'm wondering could it be the cam chain tensioner? I would think it would of shown up on the dyno. Anyody have any ideas and if you had a bad tensioner what did it sound like and when did it make the noise? The other possibilties..detonation (I use 93 octane), clutch???

·
Hold On
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! That sure did clear things up. Thanks. I don't think 4000rpm on a level grade or even going down hill in third gear is lugging with a slow application of the throttle. One would surmise that it would be lugging even more at 3000rpm. No rattle at 3000rpm. If I put the bike in 6 gear at 20mph that would be lugging and there would be no rattle that I am describing. I even put octane boost just to make sure. No detonation. The rattle is something loose/vibrating. Enough on lugging. Since the slipper clutch is new for the 07 has anybody have one rattle?

·
R1
328 Posts
Yes all 07 R1 have a clutch that rattles.

I must say that some of the gears / rpm you have mentioned seem a little on the slow side ?

do you still get the rattle when you are in third(3) gear at 5000rpm and slowly give it the gas ?

·
Hold On
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I know that 4000rpm isn't the greatest place to be. I'm normally not that low, but when I first got the bike (new) I noticed the rattle just by experimenting with different rpm ranges when breaking in the engine. It caught my attention because it happens at a very specific rpm, every time, hot or cold,different brands of gas (93). Then I take it back to the dealer and we put it on the dyno and could not duplicate the noise. I was operating the throttle myself. I'm very familiar with
what detonation and lugging an engine is all about. Even to make sure I wasn't totally ignorant on what detonation sounds like, I added octane boost. No change. If I'm in 3rd gear at 4300rpm (or anything above that)......no rattle.......3400rpm and below...no rattle. No extra vibrations in the handle bars when I'm in the "rattle range".

You mentioned that all 07 R1s have clutch rattle. When does yours do it?

Also while we are on the subject of possible lugging the engine I noticed in the owners manual on page 5-3 that Yamaha has recommended shift points. They seem very low to me and I would think 3rd-4th 25mph...4th-5th 31.3mph..5th-6th at 37.5mph would cause some serious lugging. Any thoughts?

·
Hold On
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, I just got back from a second yamaha dealer. He test rode the bike and told me it was the good ole' EXUP. The unit itself is working fine and cables are correct. He said some bike just create a resonance with rpm and exhaust pulses that make the valve flutter. He also informed me that the dyno is a good tool but can't duplicate the "real world" load conditions (and my fat arssss). So I guess that's the reason it didn't show up on the dyno. Thanks for those who gave me quality input. And for Mr. Jeopardy:flush: :flush: your input!

·
R1
328 Posts
ok..
Shift points on 07 R1
Minimum i would shift at would be 5500rpm in any gear.
most of your riding should be done between 8000rpm & 12000rpm after your break-in period.

Clutch rattle can be heard when it is on the stand at idle just pull the clutch lever all the way in and then let it out slowly you will hear it.

how many miles/km have you done on the bike ?
are you still breaking it in ?

alot of the noises you talk about to me sound like the bike is bogging down into a rolling stall, .... it will shudder/rattle both from the engine and the clutch.

·
Hold On
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks MXPT-17 for your thoughts. I know what you're talking about concerning bogging the engine down (ie..starting from a dead stop in second gear). I avoid those type of conditons.. When I rode the bike to the second dealer I noted that when I shifted from 2nd to 3rd gear at 5500rpm (just to experiment) ... the rpm would drop down to 4100rpm when I got into 3rd gear..right at the top end of my rattle zone. The bike has 900 miles.

·
Has anyone seen my ratchet?
25,747 Posts
PUT, if you are in the US, and have not already done so, you might want to look into the ECU swap that most of us have done under warranty. Thiere is plenty of info about it all over the site. As far as the Dyno creating a load, it is not just the front tire that is not under load. I was not able with a dyno to recreate the 2nd gear 5500 lag that the new ECU fixes. The entire bike, will act differently between dyno and real world conditions.

Since, the ECU swap will not solve your problem, let's move on to your problem. It is is true that the 07 has some rattling / vibration as a result of the slipper clutch. However with that being said, the real world conditions that I often ride in .. .traffic, city, etc. cause me to ride in RPM ranges that you are speaking about and I have not yet noticed what you are describing. There is however a minor rattle / vibration that can be directly attributed to the clutch set up.

Perhaps it is the EXUP as the one service manager described, however the only you can be sure, would be to install a full system, eliminating the Exup all together. There is also a thread showing someone else has clutch noise complaints, and was looking at changing out the clutch basket to a non slipper clutch.

·
Hold On
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. When I heard this rattle when I first rode the (brand new)bike home the next day I brought it back to the dealership. My intent was for them to find where the rattle was coming from. When the service tech took it for a test ride he uncovered the faulty ECU. So, here I have a brand new bike that needs a new ECU and a rattle. ECU replaced. One down and hopefully one to go. Question..when your bike was brand new and had to drive through traffic or in a neighborhood you would keep the revs right at 6900rpm (recommended less than 600miles). I would range betwen around 4000rpm-6500rpm. I just want to make sure I'm not screwing up the "break-in ".

·
Your him...
753 Posts
Yes all 07 R1 have a clutch that rattles.

I must say that some of the gears / rpm you have mentioned seem a little on the slow side ?

do you still get the rattle when you are in third(3) gear at 5000rpm and slowly give it the gas ?
the rattle sounds like bells...?

I might be talking about something else. My bike likes to do this once in a blue moon.

around 39-40mph sounds like a bell is being shook, then once it hits 41mph it goes away lol.

·
Has anyone seen my ratchet?
25,747 Posts
You did not do any harm to your bike. If I am downtown, or in a traffic, or a quiet residential neighborhood, or let's say I have my daughter on the back, I keep my RPM's way down. I am not expecting performance at this point, but the bike runs fine, and doesn't lug, bog, etc. I laugh when I read the posts about your RPM's are too low, or you're lugging your bike etc.

Of course there is a optimal performance range for your bike, and on the back roads, or the tracks that fine, but anyone who leaves a residential neighborhood with the RPM's racing and their exhaust screaming is just foolish in my honest opinion.

·
Hold On
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yamahog, we are on the same page. Thanks, I'm not going to be pulling out of my neighborhood at 8 grand. Anyway, I did check my clutch, and it does make a noise when I pull it in. It sounds like it should (normal). It's brand new and it's under warranty, I'm going to enjoy the SOB. After it's broken in I plan on riding it like it was designed for. What will be ..will be. Life is too short.

·
Your him...
753 Posts
Yamahog, we are on the same page. Thanks, I'm not going to be pulling out of my neighborhood at 8 grand. Anyway, I did check my clutch, and it does make a noise when I pull it in. It sounds like it should (normal). It's brand new and it's under warranty, I'm going to enjoy the SOB. After it's broken in I plan on riding it like it was designed for. What will be ..will be. Life is too short.
That sound is normal, I know what this whole topic is about. :clap: I feel sloow.

·
R1
328 Posts
Thanks MXPT-17 for your thoughts. I know what you're talking about concerning bogging the engine down (ie..starting from a dead stop in second gear). I avoid those type of conditons.. When I rode the bike to the second dealer I noted that when I shifted from 2nd to 3rd gear at 5500rpm (just to experiment) ... the rpm would drop down to 4100rpm when I got into 3rd gear..right at the top end of my rattle zone. The bike has 900 miles.
?? good to hear you avoid starting from a dead stop in second.

You asked about the shift points ... and i would consider running around in
3rd at around 3500rpm to be a nice slow cruise and thought hey maybe all that noise you hear is the motor in a bit of a struggle but maybe yourself and others don't think that is the case.

as for riding around in a built up area at 8000rpm.. i don't go any where near that sort of speed i just cruise around in first/second there is nothing to be gained by speeding through a built up area... nothing at all.
was just stating a fact that the best rpm range to run you R1 is from 8000 - 12000rpm once you have completed your break-in in your case.

i hope i have not offened you or anybody else by what i have been saying was just trying to help.

I hope you get out there and enjoy the R1.. be safe

:)

·
Hold On
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
No offense taken here. I appreciate any constructive criticism I was just being sarcastic with Mr. Jeopardy. I'm going to invest in some really good ear plugs so I don't hear anymore noises. Ignorance is bliss.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.