Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

EarthX Lithium Battery

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  beckzach05 
#1 ·
I've been reading the forums for a while, figured I'd finally chip-in with something. Have an '03 R1, picked up from a little used dealer over here. 20k miles. Every mod you could think of, full Akrapovic system, adjustable rearsets, Scott's damper, integrated tail, flush mount blinkers, SS lines, PCIII USB, carbon fiber lowers, etc.

It was hard to start, especially if it sat for a few days. Started looking into replacement batteries and saw a post from a local parts dealer (PJ's Parts - http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/index.php ) about the EarthX battery.

Noticed an immediate difference. Bike fires up on the 2nd or 3rd turnover now instead of 5+ chug bog die start again. Tested with cold starts (got down to 20* F, left it out) when it was 25*, same fast start.

This thing is crazy light. Not even 2lb (manufacturer says 2.2 but it's ~1.6). Buttdyno says it makes a difference, but that's probably just in my mind. Let it sit for 3 weeks without cranking, went out and fired it right up. I'm impressed.

Cool thing about the EarthX is that you can use any charger with it. Full charge in about 20 minutes if the battery is completely dead. Supposedly 1-3% loss per month. Life expectancy is about 8 years. Completely worth the money, and I'll be getting two more for my '03 and '05 ZX6R.

Highly recommended. If you want one, and you should, talk to PJ. He knows his stuff, and personally I like helping the independent shops when I can.

See less See more
#2 ·
Left it out overnight in the cold ? And it started easily ?

#4 ·
Thats surprising, my Ballistic lithium does'nt like the cold at all.

#5 ·
I too am looking at one of these. I like the fact that it has short circuit protection and over AND undercharge protection. I also like the fact that it has the circuitry to balance the cells IN the battery so there is no need to buy a companies "special" charger.

It's nice that it's a US company too with the batteries made in the US.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.