Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· My R1 is SCRUMPTRULESCENT!
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ebay deal. 2 good 2 be true?? HELP Seattle!

Ok guys I need opinions. I won the smoking deal on bodywork but this guy has 0 feedback and I am a little concerned that I am going to get hosed out of a considerable amount of dough. The add is here: LINK
One of the pics is exactly the same as another add that ended on the 19th which is here:LINK

So I email the guy and ask him if he could send a pic of a drivers license with the address and name I would be sending the cashiers check to (with any info he wouldn't want me to see blacked out). He replies he can't do it because he has no digital camera or scanner anymore.

I also asked him why hes selling and he says he switched to blue bodywork. So I'm wondering how he's selling the fairing stay, headlight, taillight etc.

I asked him if any of the pics in the add are of the actual pieces I won and he hasn't replied yet.

If I do send cash I asked him if he would accept Pay-pal if I pay the 3% surcharge. Hasn't replied yet.

Is there any way I can protecte myself from getting hosed in this situation? Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MAN...I'm really feeling like a dumbass for not looking into this farther before bidding. I emailed all of the other bidders to find out if they asked the seller any questions. Haven't heard back yet. If I can't get this guy to offer up some kind of insurance for me to send this much cash I don't think I will send any. I hate to ruin my perfect feedback but its better than giving 1300 dollars away. DAMN-IT! I hate dishonesty and I am way to trusting.

· Super Moderator
22,568 Posts
I'm not big into eBay. I have bought a few things from them. Is there
anyway you can contact eBay and let them know the deal may be a
scam? If so, perhaps you can get out of the auction without hurting
your reputation.

· shoot first and shoot fast
3,643 Posts
Ide walk away from this one bro. This just sounds too sketchy to me. If you have to take a negative feedback reply then so be it, its well worth not having to panic for a week or so while you wait in limbo after sending a check.

· Registered
1,075 Posts
Pay through paypal. I won't pay unless it's paypal because paypal will go after the seller if they don't send you the stuff and will refund your money. I have had 2 things happen where 1 the seller never sent the good and the second one was a item that was obviously used and damaged and seller wouldn't take it back. Both times Paypal refunded me the money! Use paypal it's safer that way and if he doesn't want to do that they just take the negative feedback and don't pay.

1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tib said:
Pay through paypal. I won't pay unless it's paypal because paypal will go after the seller if they don't send you the stuff and will refund your money. I have had 2 things happen where 1 the seller never sent the good and the second one was a item that was obviously used and damaged and seller wouldn't take it back. Both times Paypal refunded me the money! Use paypal it's safer that way and if he doesn't want to do that they just take the negative feedback and don't pay.
Will they refund any amount? I usually use pay-pal but it wasn't an option on this auction. I am still waiting for the reply from him on whether or not he will accept PP if I pay the 3% surcharge. I think your right though and if he won't go for it I will probably just take the negative feedback in the shorts and chalk it up to failing to feel confident before I bid.

I looked into Ebays buyer protection and they will only go up to $200 and thats only on approved transactions.

· WHEELIE KING-girls luvmyweiner
4,343 Posts
I'd contact ebay as stated, but if need be I'd take neg. feedback before I sent that guy my money-My guess-SCAMMER

· Registered
1,075 Posts
I'm not 100% sure the amount that paypal will refund but my first time was about a year and a half ago and it was for $60 and the other was this past christmas it was for $55. The first time they refunded the money and shipping and told me to keep the item. The second time they refunded me the money and shipping but I would have to send them the product. I sent them the package and they reviewed the case and approved the claim( it was for the obviously used item that was being sold as brand new sealed ). So both time it was under $100 but i'm pretty sure you can buy "insurance" from paypal for the transaction and then you'd probably be able to get all of it back if they do have a claim limit.a

1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
**UPDATE**

Well here is a reply from one of the guys who bid on the item before me:

**BEGINNING OF REPLY**

Well, Scott,

I wouldnt usually be willing to help someone that sniped my ass in the last 5 seconds.But for some reason, this guy really gives me this bad feeling. I emailed this guy on Thursday to ask him a question, and I never got a response until after the auction ended last night. At this time, I told him you outbid me, and if you didnt pay or something to get to me. Then he instantly emails me back, ready to sell them to me, and by the time it was over, he was going to give them to me for less than the auction went threw for. Now that was the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, so thats when I knew this asshole was trying to scam cash, because his reason was''that guy still hasnt gotto me''. It was like a hour after the auction.And obviously you did try to contact him, so I would say, dont mess with him. Funny thing is, when I started watching this auction, my wife and I instantly noticed that the picture was identical to another picture of a set I was bidding on at one time! . I wouldnt give this guy a cent,unless you can meet him to pick the shit up, or make him send it C.O.D. Good luck man.

**END OF REPLY**

HUMMMMM! Looks like its a huge scam and thank god I haven't and wont be sending any dough. It's all about damage control now on my feedback. I am going to file a fraud alert on this dood.

Thanks for all the replies guys....its so great to have a body of knowledge, like this forum, to go to for answers.

· shoot first and shoot fast
3,643 Posts
Props to that dude that just helped you out man. That was awesome of him to relay that information to you. Find out if he is a forum member and if not send him a link to the R1-forum :)

· Registered
46 Posts
Obviously it sounds pretty fishy. I'd stay away. PAYPAL will only cover up to $500 and that is only if you pay with PAYPAL via a direct withdrawl from your bank account. There are ways to put money in escrow so he doesn't get it until you have the merchendise. Again though, this sounds like one to walk away from.

I just bought my 99 R1 off e-bay from a guy with 0 feedback. I was nervous, but after a couple of e-mails and phone conversations, I thought he was pretty legit. He also didn't make me give him a cent until I picked up the bike, not even a deposit.

Good luck!

· OG Moderator
1,081 Posts
Scott, I've got an entire set of bodywork (minus cluster, front and rear fenders) in blue for sale. You can even pick it up you're so close. PM me.

· Registered
1,075 Posts
Burke said:
PAYPAL will only cover up to $500 and that is only if you pay with PAYPAL via a direct withdrawl from your bank account. There are ways to

Good luck!
Both times I got refunded were from credit card payments through paypal not from bank winthdrawls so I'm not sure how much the credit card transactions are covered but they do refund that money if you do it that way. Well technically it was a debit card from a second bank account but you get the point.

1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update:

He finally sent me an address and name. Address is :
8421 35th Ave SW
Seattle, WA 98126

and the name is Brett. He claims he has no phone and that he lives in a dorm so he only has the net. Any of you Seattle bubbas know where this address is??

· "Gort-Klaatu barada nikto!"
3,200 Posts
Re: Ebay deal. 2 good 2 be true?? HELP Seattle!

Spanky R1 said:
Ok guys I need opinions. I won the smoking deal on bodywork but this guy has 0 feedback and I am a little concerned that I am going to get hosed out of a considerable amount of dough. The add is here: LINK
One of the pics is exactly the same as another add that ended on the 19th which is here:LINK

So I email the guy and ask him if he could send a pic of a drivers license with the address and name I would be sending the cashiers check to (with any info he wouldn't want me to see blacked out). He replies he can't do it because he has no digital camera or scanner anymore.

I also asked him why hes selling and he says he switched to blue bodywork. So I'm wondering how he's selling the fairing stay, headlight, taillight etc.

I asked him if any of the pics in the add are of the actual pieces I won and he hasn't replied yet.

If I do send cash I asked him if he would accept Pay-pal if I pay the 3% surcharge. Hasn't replied yet.

Is there any way I can protecte myself from getting hosed in this situation? Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
Hey Scott,
I thought you just got yours painted? How come your buying more? Just wondering! lol How's it been going? Haven't heard from you for a while!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.