Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just wondering which way to go ? Gonna remove the cat and add a slip on with a kat elimanator. I live in colorado springs just bought a 2019 red r1 and sounds like crap. Should I just send the ecu to superbikeunlimited or buy the graves flashtune and do it myself? What's the difference ?

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you want to go a cheaper and easier route, I have a brand new Graves Moto 1 still in the box I'd let go for $400. It sounds like the car and dirt bike Charlie Sheen drives in the movie "The Wraith".

I'm in Denver and have the Graves cat eliminator exhaust on my 2016 R1M. I have the Flash Tune set-up and Active Tune with the Graves map for the exhaust and it runs like crap at this altitude. It runs a little better with the unrestricted stock map. Definitely need to get it dyno'd. Runs puking rich!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Damn that's pretty nice . Gforce powersports had given me the yoshi r1 pipe and it not satisfying that is a nice pipe you have I dont have 400 right yet but I'm certainly interested it sounds awesome

·
Super Moderator
24,345 Posts
I'd send your ECU to SBU. They do a great job giving you a smooth throttle and a host of other items that you can customize.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's cheaper to get that than my own flash tune. I just want to make sure it's worth changing the bike and am I really gonna get a nice power gain as well as other changes

·
Registered
2017 R1M
521 Posts
I ended up doing a grave cat back exhaust and FTECU. I still didn’t like the way it ran, so I took it to dyno. The end result runs excellent . If I knew what I know now, I would’ve taken it straight to dyno. Wouldve saved me a lot of coin and time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok thank you getting great info which is awesome and much appreciated.
Hi Jason,

Check your PMs.
That would be great I'd love to hear it . I just wanna do something that will make a great difference. I know it's being held back. I work mon thru fri weekends free. [email protected] any time your avail I'd be grateful to meet you my 2013 just ran like crap power commander did nothing even with the tune . Took it to American bike taylor off hancock and he squeezed good amount out but never wowed me.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,240 Posts
its too bad there's such few choices these days.. ECUnleashed dropped their website and no
longer respond to emails. Thats been going downhill for some time anyway so i'm not surprised.

for what its worth when i got my reflash i still had to tune the bike myself. I have made further
additions to the bike after the original reflash though so i expected it. But the original tune
i got with the flash is long gone, i did not like that tune.

you cant expect to just run a pcv map with the reflash and it will work itself out, i run auto-tune
and take the guessing work out of the equation. Literally takes 4 or 5 runs to get up to snuff.

every time, great results. its an added expense so there' s a lot of 'hate' around the water cooler
but the fact is Auto-tune is an excellent tool! I run it on two different bikes with two different flashes and both run perfectly after a re-tune.

I've heard nothing but good things about SBU
SBU themselves, great shop..

unfortunately i've heard some folks have been less than pleased with the re-flash.
one member in particular had to send his ecu back several times. sounds like a PITA.

i dont know a hell of a lot about it, but it is a track oriented map so it may not work for everybody

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
ecuunleashed wasn't a great tune.

any mail in flashing service will be good but it isn't made for your motor specifically so a good dyno tune should be able to do better.

ftecu software can have hiccups and sometimes when you flash it will set off a code or run a little off and refreshing with the same map will fix in. its like it misses a block when writing the image so someone having an issue with sbu's flash may not be their fault sometimes it just happens.

buying the ftecu cable will let you flash the bike but most people don't have a dyno laying around in the garage or know how to properly tune so your spending money (more money then a mail in flash or most dyno tuners will charge) just for the ability to flash and you won't actually have any improvement to the bike.

auto tune is great to have because it will keep your same tune no matter the weather or altitude. not to mention it will adjust for new parts and even things like a dirty air filter from someone neglecting maintenance. its a smart investment

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,240 Posts
i dont think i would go as far as saying ECUnleashed was a bad tune at all.

my fuel map was built by Leo Vince themselves and i got great results from it.

i never expected my bike to run absolutely perfect with 'only a re-flash'... but i liked the fact they
had some 'factory support' along with other pro outfits providing their tuning efforts. I mean you
cant ask for much more than direct from bloody italy. Mind at the time you could not even tune all 6
gears with a flash (some have, now). I am actually very happy with the re-flash, just needed to tune it
myself.

there are several components to a re-flash effort and some dont fully understand this. They think
just because you replaced the fuel map in your ecu with something more in line with mods you
currently have, that it suddenly means thats the end of it. AFAIK, its just a start.

Ivan in NY re-flashed my Raider S, the 2nd version has a much better fuel map, after working
with Yamaha, but i still needed to fire up my Auto-Tune to get it up to snuff.

Ivan himself mentioned this was perfectly normal, he echoed a lot of our comments regarding
the original re-flash. I also tuned my Raider S this year and decided to run on 91 octane
again as this map is better suited for it. I am very happy with the results.

basically, with any re-flash: if you smell fuel on your t-shirt or exhaust tips then you're very
likely running pig rich and you will definitely need a custom tune.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
It sounds like you had better experiences with them then I did. Instead of flashing the stock ecu and losing the immobilizer for resale We bought spare ecu's and had those flashed. We had 3 ecu's flashed from them and installed the flashed ecu's on the dyno the same time as doing runs on the bikes. We ran the bikes with the tunes in them and then ran them with stock map to get a baseline for what we were actually gaining. So on all 3 bikes the ecu unleashed did it worse the the pcv with a basic map off their website. One of the bikes actually did worse then the stock map. This was pretty concerning considering the flash was supposed to open the throttle another 20 percent and remove all the etv restrictions. Two of the guys said they didn't notice any difference in the throttle or rideability either and the only real difference they noticed on or off the dyno was a lower fan temp and it started in A mode. Maybe they got their shit together more by the time you got to them but I never dealt with unleashed again.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,240 Posts
It sounds like you had better experiences with them then I did. Instead of flashing the stock ecu and losing the immobilizer for resale We bought spare ecu's and had those flashed. We had 3 ecu's flashed from them and installed the flashed ecu's on the dyno the same time as doing runs on the bikes.
that is the smart way of doing it, actually.. considering the Canadian models.

mine was a US model R1, maybe this made a difference.. To be honest I just jumped in at the right time, There was a WA state dealer setup for the work and he was offering a 'free' tune with it. The file (yep, chaos is my friend) got corrupted as it was 'sent' to us in readiness for the reflash. Tuner did not test the file before flashing my ecu, and it spit out an error. oops :(

I requested 30% less engine braking, get rid of the fuel cut parameters as I want to tune at idle and very low RPMs, i specifically requested Closed Loop section to be unlocked for tuning. I requested a worked over 'fuel map' to match my LV 3/4 exhaust (or full exhaust, didnt matter to me) and ALL the options available, basically de-restrict the ecu entirely! I had them raise both the idle RPM and the RED LINE.. But for STREET, not racing. I was expecting a generic worked over fuel map, what Taige got for me was impressive to say the least, It was a fuel map designed by Leo Vince for my EVOII. :D :)

Now, because the FILE failed on original attempt and I could not get a proper TUNE (while the weather was co-operating) we called Taige in Los Angeles right away, it was a Friday afternoon. Long story short, we texted back and forth with him directly over an hour period or so. It was Saturday AM in Italy, and of course Taige fired off an email to any / all Leo Vince certified tuners available, as per the current flash request parameters. One such dealer in Italy responded, and sent the file over right away. By noon hour their time, we were ready to go.

I was very much aware it was all in the up & up and it was just shitty timing (i'm a computer integration technician). The exact same programming I requested was available, it was for a LEO VINCE EVOII full exhaust! and full butterfly openings without the Fly-By-Wire restrictions.

I got what i wanted, and the greatly reduced engine braking was just what i expected.

Fast forward my Raider Reflash v2.0 from Ivan (NY) feels exactly the same as my
ECUnleashed tune on the R1. I dont think its a coincidence, yes they are both tuned to perfection, never had an issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ecuunleashed wasn't a great tune.

any mail in flashing service will be good but it isn't made for your motor specifically so a good dyno tune should be able to do better.

ftecu software can have hiccups and sometimes when you flash it will set off a code or run a little off and refreshing with the same map will fix in. its like it misses a block when writing the image so someone having an issue with sbu's flash may not be their fault sometimes it just happens.

buying the ftecu cable will let you flash the bike but most people don't have a dyno laying around in the garage or know how to properly tune so your spending money (more money then a mail in flash or most dyno tuners will charge) just for the ability to flash and you won't actually have any improvement to the bike.

auto tune is great to have because it will keep your same tune no matter the weather or altitude. not to mention it will adjust for new parts and even things like a dirty air filter from someone neglecting maintenance. its a smart investment
That's fricken awesome info . The explanation is on point. . I recently met up with a great person from my home town he also had the autotune and here in colorado springs the air is so thin and climate change is so different the standard tuners easily can be running rich or lean on any given day. With this info and what I learned from my recent meet with other experienced r1m owner i truly feel confident on my upgrades . Remove that kat and place that how much are spare ecu?
It sounds like you had better experiences with them then I did. Instead of flashing the stock ecu and losing the immobilizer for resale We bought spare ecu's and had those flashed. We had 3 ecu's flashed from them and installed the flashed ecu's on the dyno the same time as doing runs on the bikes. We ran the bikes with the tunes in them and then ran them with stock map to get a baseline for what we were actually gaining. So on all 3 bikes the ecu unleashed did it worse the the pcv with a basic map off their website. One of the bikes actually did worse then the stock map. This was pretty concerning considering the flash was supposed to open the throttle another 20 percent and remove all the etv restrictions. Two of the guys said they didn't notice any difference in the throttle or rideability either and the only real difference they noticed on or off the dyno was a lower fan temp and it started in A mode. Maybe they got their shit together more by the time you got to them but I never dealt with unleashed again.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
15+ ecu's are about 500 you can find em sometimes lil cheaper but usually right around there. Tuners now usually flash and tune all in a day so you can just use your stock ecu. They can do a baseline dyno then hook it up and flash it on the spot And do the tuning to get it dialed in. Times have changed a bit and it can always be returned to stock.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ohhh ok man .. feww.. I was just like dang the money pit is growing teeth now.. ok cool I'm just totally thankful for knowledge given on this sight. I thank you . I fought with the 2013 and just wasted ton of money . I want to do this one right. 2019 less than 300 miles I'm gonna get it right this time. Gonna get the active tuner along with the sbu flash I already have the yoshi signature series muffler and kat removed . I do also have a dyno down the street at a ex-racer now full time mechanic who does sponsor local superbike riders. Well 1 I know of. At American Bike Tailor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts