Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find out how much an ECU Remap would cost for a 2017 R1. NOT an ECU Flash. Also if there is anyone in/around the Nashville T.N area that can do a remapping for me. I know that I can just hook up a PC5, or send my ECU off for a flash, but a Remap will put my bike just where I want for performance.

·
Not an R7, next best thing!!
221 Posts
The process of remapping is actually "flashing the ECU". The only way to swap maps is to actually Flash the ECU because you have to take out old mapping and exchange them. or flash it, with new mapping. Also, the ECU has several maps. There are maps for fuel % to throttle, maps for cylinders, maps for each gear, so it is not as easy as just saying "i want to remap"...okay well which maps?

The advantage of the FlashTune stuff is you can re-flash over and over until your throttle mapping (your throttle response) is precisely the way you want it. Yes you can have someone flash or remap your ECU, but that version might give you a ecu that is more responsive then your old bike but not perfect to the way you want it. However, you are on the right path my man and there is a perfect bike in your garage just waiting for you to fine tune her. Just know that flashing the ECU does a lot more than just remapping IE : changing fans temp turn on, turning off smog stuff so it can be removed, fine turning fueling for the aftermarket exhaust, eliminating the throttle restriction in the higher RPMs. Anyway, do more research and Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’ve been looking into reflashing my ECM. I’m in NorCal and I was trying to find a reputable Dyno tuning shop up here. Well, I went with sending my ECM out and should have it back on Monday. I know From experience that getting a dyno tune verses a reflash (canned map) yields excellent results for YOUR particular setup, but for now, my project is swapping out my exhaust over to a Graves 3/4 system, remove the O2 sensors, remove the EXUP and the AIS and install the block offs. I may travel to SoCal next spring and get an actual Dyno tune at Attack Performance to dial everything in with my mods.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm trying to find out how much an ECU Remap would cost for a 2017 R1. NOT an ECU Flash. Also if there is anyone in/around the Nashville T.N area that can do a remapping for me. I know that I can just hook up a PC5, or send my ECU off for a flash, but a Remap will put my bike just where I want for performance.
I‘m in Northern California and I got a quote for $700 - 750 . That’s why I chose to send my ECU out for a reflash ($200) . I researched a few ECM mail in services and there are 2 highly recommended ones the folks on this forum speak a lot of. Ride safe 😜

·
Not an R7, next best thing!!
221 Posts
HaHa, I am here in Sacramento. And yes the Dyno tune is a fantastic option. I have a 2016 and went with the Bikeside harness and Flashtune set up because I love the control (did the same for my 09) and then eventually got the Activetune also. The upside to the activetune is that it constantly adjust to fueling mixture based on how I am currently riding and where I am riding (Elevations), oh and it got rid of my drifting idle. I rebuilt her after she spun a bearing (I chalk this up to just bad luck) and put a slightly smaller head gasket on her along with the activetune and man she is strong. $330 for the active tune, $50 for the bikeside harness and $100 for the Flashtune user fee, because I already had an account and PC module.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,110 Posts
The process of remapping is actually "flashing the ECU".
not entirely necessary but OP needs to get his wording right.. the fact a pc5 was mentioned makes it unclear. Technically speaking you can use a PC5 to provide what op is asking, meaning just a pure re-map of the current fuel map sitting in his ECU. The PCV is a piggy back device so, you 'should' be able to tune your ride with a PCV.

the real issue here is the closed loop section. Which means if you go with ONLY a PCV for an old school remap (pcv piggy back needs to stay in place) then you are very limited as to which portions of the rev range / TPS columns you actually have access to. This is typically everything between 1k to 6k rpm.. Essentially your low to midrange, without that portion tuned, i would not brag about yer fancy dyno time.

Which brings us back full circle to your tatement. EVEN just to retune your bike it is not possible w/out a re-flash which unlocks the closed loop section, at which point you really dont have to do anything else to the cpu if you dont want to. but of course its a complete waste of money because retuning these bikes requires more than just fuel adjustments.

OP, the timing curve, throttle valve opening (due to fly by wire), engine braking, rpm redline etc etc. All have a way of affecting how the bike will respond to the oem fuel map and subsequently the effect a PCV can provide. The issue here is PCV is limited in its capabilities.

You could though get the FTune bench flash unit and unlock parameters added to the ecu programming. THEN you can tune your ride with a pCV and using FT (again) take that new pcV and use it to re-write the stock ECU fuel map (its a bit more complicated than just a pcV).

If you dont plan on doing any further mods, sell hte pcV.. mind you i think the FTune device has the option of auto-tuning anyway so its easier to do it all through in this method, end result is the same though.

you need to replace the oem fueling map inside the ECU to match the new parameters chosen.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,110 Posts
looks like i made a last minute edit which may have confused others..

the closed loop section on most R1s is the section between 1k to 6k rpm, not sure if its throughout all throttle positions but essentially, all use-able portions of. This has been
written into the ecu by the bean counters.

this area is locked away unless you re-flash your ecu in order to grant a tuning device (like a PcV) access. otherwise you're just chasing your own tail and you're stuck with whatever Yamaha decided you needed in that section. Obviously if you de-cat your bike, that section will likely remain un-tuned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts