Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have replaced my original Neiman/main switch(the one in wich you turn your key 馃檭 ) with a cheap chinese aftermarket kit of locks & fuel cap. Thedifference between them is that the replacement one doesnt have the parking light option that all europeans version do basicly have. So instead of the original 6 wires, i only have 4 on the chinese.I tought that i could let that particular blue/yellow wire disconnected and it would run fine...
I have a new main fuse, a new starting relay and a new neutral switch.
I have a wiring diagram from the service book, and here's what i did:

the connector with the red wire - brown/blue => red - brown/blue . I have a main power, so i think that should be right.
I now have two others wires to connect at the main key switch and 4 on my original harness.
I have tried a bit of everything, but don't find a right way to connect all the wires in order to have the bike running with the lights & with the neutral light on whenever the bike is on the side stand. It's driving me crazy, i wanna ride! Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lil Update on my case: i only have the red wire (+ from batt) & brown wire going to the fuses (lights, signals,fan, ignition) connected to the key switch.
With this setup, i was able to start the engine whenever the kick stand was UP (Only)
Now, the neutral light signal stays on no matter wich gear is in and the starter works with & without the clutch lever pulled.
Got no spark when trying to start the engine.

Where to look following u guys? 馃檹

Is there anybody out there?
I pulled up the schematic for the Euroupean 5JJ and you should have red, brown, blue/yellow and black wires. You should also have a blue/red for parking. Is this correct? If so, the red and brown are for main power. The blue/yellow and black run through your starting circuit cut off relay to your CDI(ignition) unit. Red and brown have to be connected and then blue/yellow and black need to be connected for the bike to run.

Mark

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I have a red & brown/blue for main power, a blue/yellow running indeed trough the cut off Relay, ignition and linked with the Sky blue wire from the neutral switch following what I understood from the schematic. I also have the black and the blue/red wires.

Something must have blown since yesterday because the bike won't start again.
The neutral light was permanently ON whenever the kick stand was UP. Now he's OFF no matter what.
My fuses are good, the neutral switch is actually new.
I have the main power connected : -Brown/blue from the harness => brown from Chinese key switch
-Red => red
I have put together the blue/yellow from the harness to the blue/yellow on the switch & the black from harness to black/blue.
So I don't have any power on the starter anymore, no neutral light, no more taillights.
I'm technically overpassed, don't know where to start anymore as the more I try, the worse it gets...

Thanks Mark, you're the Man 馃檶

Is there anybody out there?
I'd try bypassing the Chinese switch altogether unless you know it's good. Connect main power(red and brown). Connect the yellow/blue and black and see what happens. Also, you sure you didn't blow fuse #52 because that goes to your brake/tail lights and neutral switch. Could also be a blown fuse on #54 as that goes to your starter motor relay coil.

Mark

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Mark, i'm moving forward.

I have reconnected my OEM key switch just to be sure of the right linkage of everything.

Now, with everything originally plugged in i can see the neutral light flashing once a 1/100 sec when i turn the key on, . No crank at all, nothing happens when i hit the start button, either with clutch lever pulled, kick stand UP/Down...
I'm thinking bout my starter itself, (The starter relay is new as i had a bit of corrosion on the original)
Fuses #52 & 54 are good, everythings works exept the starter.

Does it make sense? I own the bike since 13 Y now and the battery always needed to be fully charged in order to be powerfull enough to supply the starter. If the bike didn't start after a few try, i could hear it was to weak and needed to charge. I'll take it out and try to find a place to get it tested & reconditioned, it wont be for nothing anyway

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wasn't the starter, got it tested.
I now believe the starter cut of relay is involved as the neutral light pops on whenever in turn the key on, i hear a clic then nothing happens.
I got myself a proper multimeter that bips when continuity is OK.
I have tested the sky blue from the neutral light to the connector under the fuel tank. From this point, I should have continuity to the blue/yellow that goes to the main key switch right? Hope i'll fix that before track day on the 3th july 馃檹

1 - 7 of 7 Posts