Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 R1 keeps dying while I'm riding lately. It seems to do it while I'm accelerating but not all the time. I have to stop and put it in neutral to get it to start back up. I can't start it while I'm rolling it seems. It's a 02 R1 with 7k miles on it, 49 state, Full Graves titanum exhaust, PCIII USB Power Commander with the map from Graves loaded. Any ideas? :dunno

·
7 More Days 'til the '09 Debut
888 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me with two different bikes; it was two different causes.

On my '00 R6 the positive battery terminal had come loose; so check your positive battery terminal and make sure it's nice and tight.

On my '02 GSX-R750 it was because a pin was bent in the connection between the factory harness and the Yoshi EMS system; so if it continues and it's not the battery terminal then I would check to make sure your connections between the factory harness and the PCIII are all good.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I had to have my upper and lower TPS sensors replaced on my '05 due to stutter problem then eventually would shut off when sitting still....

·
ridin like i hate my life
25 Posts
i hav an 03 and it did the same thing a couple of times going from 5 to 6 at about 70 mph a couple of months ago. never found out what it was but it hasn't done it again:dunno

·
ridin like i hate my life
25 Posts
oh yea, no power commander, stock except for k and n and ixil exhaust. i dont think its the pc

·
Track bound.
9,828 Posts
SilverbackEC said:
I had to have my upper and lower TPS sensors replaced on my '05 due to stutter problem then eventually would shut off when sitting still....

Uhhhh, there is only one TPS sensor.

10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
coolant level in the over flow was a tad bit under the low mark. filled it up to the correct level. we'll see if that makes any difference.

·
Walkin' on Water
86 Posts
twowheeldreams said:
coolant level in the over flow was a tad bit under the low mark. filled it up to the correct level. we'll see if that makes any difference.
That is not it. No Way.

Check battery terminals (happened to me)

10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kenny S said:
thought that maybe there is some kind of sensor in the overflow that was being triggered due to the lack of coolant and cutting the engine. didnt say it was the fix, just one step in the troubleshooting process.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 03 r1 shuts off as im accelerating also. But I can start it while I'm moving. And it also turns off going over bumps. Anybody know why?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok hope this is helpful. My issue has been fixed. It was because of bad wiring on my turn signals and integrated tail ligh. When I would use the left signal (the bad side) it would short out my whole bike causin it to miss a spark. And a few loose relays so when I hit a bump it would go haywire and shut off. If u have similar problem check everything.lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts