Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks back with yet another fault. (4xv) While riding the engine randomly dies I say random as I’ve ridden it for an hour or more with no problem then all of a sudden while riding the engine dies as though the kill switch has been hit. It has happened after just 5 mins riding also. All the dash lights clocks etc stay on. I’ve eliminated the side stand switch. It’s becoming a ballache to find because when it happens if I hit the kill switch off then on it starts up first time stator meter readings are all good. The only thing I found was when I was checking the stator is it was loose (sorted that) and the pick up coil had the wires twisted together by the plug which I’ve now soldered and done properly. I’m just stumped it’s definitely electrical.

·
Is there anybody out there?
4,131 Posts
You might want to check your main switch(key). Mine went bad about the 10 year mark but it depends on use. Your main switch has two circuits on it. One for main power and the other runs through your starting circuit cut off relay to the CDI unit. Since your dash is staying on, the main power is ok but I'd check it anyway. Pull your left fake carbon piece(under left clip on) and unplug your main switch plug. Measure the resistance between your red and brown wires and then your blue/black and blue/yellow wires with the key on. Turn the key off and then back on and measure again. Do this check several times. If the switch is good, you should have less than one Ohm for each reading. May or may not be your problem but I'd check it to rule it out.

Mark

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might want to check your main switch(key). Mine went bad about the 10 year mark but it depends on use. Your main switch has two circuits on it. One for main power and the other runs through your starting circuit cut off relay to the CDI unit. Since your dash is staying on, the main power is ok but I'd check it anyway. Pull your left fake carbon piece(under left clip on) and unplug your main switch plug. Measure the resistance between your red and brown wires and then your blue/black and blue/yellow wires with the key on. Turn the key off and then back on and measure again. Do this check several times. If the switch is good, you should have less than one Ohm for each reading. May or may not be your problem but I'd check it to rule it out.

Mark
Thanks for that I’ll give it a test tomorrow and see what I can find I’ve had a look through the manual at the wiring schematic and I can see the cut off relay and the kill switches linked to it also the cdi so I’ll see what readings I get tomorrow. I do know the pick up coil plug was tampered with so I’ve got one coming Monday (not keen on wrapped and taped wires. That’s how I found it).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update. I had the bike apart today and metered all the connections to the cut out relay and they’re all as they should be however while the bike was running I moved the relay and the bike died first time it’s done it stationary tried to start it and would only turn over not fire up moved the relay again and it started up. I’ve checked the wires no brakes and I’ve cleaned all the connections still does it so I’m looking at ordering a cut off relay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts