Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my first R1 00 a few months ago, and just started riding it about two months ago. The bike is in great condition. The first few weeks it ticked a little (which from my understanding is normal for these engines). But lately I swear it has gotten worse (although my new helmet has less sound isolation). It has the normal left side valve tick but it also rattles and ticks a lot on the right side. The rattle seems to be located at the main bearing/lower cam chain sprocket.

Apart from the noise it runs and pulls great with smooth shifts. It's just due for a valve adjustment so I hope this is the cause, but I don't think it sounds like a loose valve. Could it just be the chain tensioner?
Check out the link and let me hear what you guys think. The sound is not as crisp as the video (phone mic screws it up a little). In the end you can hear the exup valve, so maybe I should replace that also.

https://youtu.be/bBCoN9b5l2Q

I have a 03 R1 engine in my racecar and it does not sound like this, do these engines have any interchangeable parts?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Assuming it's an OEM tensioner, possibly even the original, and they're spring-loaded, I could see it failing pretty abruptly. I've been fortunate enough not to experience those issues, but it makes sense in my head.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts