Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
2inch penis.
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone get this ever?

the temp shows "Hi" and it's flashing, while i get an "Er-1" error code.

just wondering if anyone else had this problem and if they figured out why.

btw, anyone have HID harnesses melting on them?

·
I fix F-15's, but R1's eat me.
42 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my bike buddy, Word on the street is that most of the time its caused by chafing wires, remove your windscreen, and look in behind there, its a chafe prone area, see if theres any wires grounding out, it can be hard to spot, so look closely and remove electrical tape, if you have done that, wrap that wire harness in a rubber hose and ziptie it off, just something to prevent it from happening in the future if it hasnt already : ) let me know if you find the solution, I have a copy of the service manuals and wiring diagram if you need them shoot me a PM

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my bike buddy, Word on the street is that most of the time its caused by chafing wires, remove your windscreen, and look in behind there, its a chafe prone area, see if theres any wires grounding out, it can be hard to spot, so look closely and remove electrical tape, if you have done that, wrap that wire harness in a rubber hose and ziptie it off, just something to prevent it from happening in the future if it hasnt already : ) let me know if you find the solution, I have a copy of the service manuals and wiring diagram if you need them shoot me a PM
after a year i think they might have solved it.:secret::lol

·
MMM Meaty!
2,116 Posts
Well this is what the 02-03 service manual says about ER-1...

Attachments

·
2inch penis.
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my problem was actually the ECU failing. a capacitor on the board blew and took out some of the ECU's functions. i tore that bike apart and tested every circuit possible and finally decided the cause had to be a faulty ECU to begin with.

replaced the ECU with a new one and the bike has been running fine for a year and going. :)

·
42 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, I finally got a day off, im gonna go pick up a pocket tester and test those wires, ive been reading that manual back to front, but im still a little confused, should be able to figure it out though, on the Fault isolation it says to shoot wires for continuity between the yellow and red, and the black and white wires to the sensor coupler and ecu coupler, thats all well and good, i know the ecu coupler, not as familiar with the sensor coupler, and on the wiring diagram it has the yellow and red wire leading out of the ecu, and directly back into it, wtf.. Its startin to get nice out, its a beautiful day to fix my bike, but Id rather be riding it : / I'll post pics when I get it back together if you are interested

·
42 Posts
Wires

So I did some troubleshooting today, checked the contunity between the meter and ecu, fine, so i went a little deeper and removed the tank and airbox, to get to the cylinder identification sensor, it says to check that connection for security, but i figured while im there i might as well shoot those wires too, I found that 1 wire was completely good, not grounded out or crossed, the other two arent grounding out, but they are getting continuity between both, which tells me theyre chaffed and touching metal to metal somewhere, or maybe thats the way the circuit is set up, im not an expert, anyone have any ideas if thats the deffinate problem, or are they supposed to be sharing voltage?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
So I did some troubleshooting today, checked the contunity between the meter and ecu, fine, so i went a little deeper and removed the tank and airbox, to get to the cylinder identification sensor, it says to check that connection for security, but i figured while im there i might as well shoot those wires too, I found that 1 wire was completely good, not grounded out or crossed, the other two arent grounding out, but they are getting continuity between both, which tells me theyre chaffed and touching metal to metal somewhere, or maybe thats the way the circuit is set up, im not an expert, anyone have any ideas if thats the deffinate problem, or are they supposed to be sharing voltage?
did you fix the problem?

·
unleash the beast
8,693 Posts
anyone get this ever?

the temp shows "Hi" and it's flashing, while i get an "Er-1" error code.

just wondering if anyone else had this problem and if they figured out why.

btw, anyone have HID harnesses melting on them?
same issue any update?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Battery was no good. Replaced and the code went away. Now it ran and spent a rod bearing so I'm tarring it down again

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check your plugs i had the same problem and it was the plug by my radiator cap next to your headlight harness plug as soon as i connected it worked

·
Registered
5 Posts
have a 2008 R1 and the same problem, my bike turned off all of a sudden while riding and threw the ER-1 code and the bike hasnt started since. I troubleshot connections and wires and when I could not find it i sent it to a shop. The shop said they checked all connections and said it was probably the ECU. I got an OEM ECU and when i plugged it in it threw the same exact code. I have no idea where to go from here i think it has to be the wiring harness or coupler but how can I be sure without buying all of these parts...........HELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-No it is not the battery
-No it is not chaffing wires

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you have a service manual?

Mark
Like i said in my initial statement I checked all connections that I could and all are in spec I did a voltage drop and resistance test on almost everything and it checked out, and yes I have a manual and no the answer to the problem is not in there...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts