Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know what the code means? im guessing its the battery...but i just wanna make sure. its in the same screen as the temperature...

·
STRAIGHT ROADS SUCK!
1,492 Posts
60= Throttle Servo Motor.
Open or short circuit detected.
Defective throttle servo motor.
Malfunction in ECU. (servo motor driving system)

Do you have a service manual?

Ride safe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi! In the 0708 Service Manual say's:
Fault code No.: 60
Symptom: Throttle servo motor: open or short circuit detected. Defective throttle servo motor. Malfunction in ECU (servo motor driving system).
Probable cause of malfunction:
•Open or short circuit in wire harness.
•Defective throttle servo motor (potentiometer circuit).
•Stuck throttle servo motor (mechanism).
•Stuck throttle servo motor (motor).
•Malfunction in ECU.
Diagnostic code No.: 01

·
My R1 does not eat me.
10 Posts
Has anyone come up with a fix for this? My 07 has also started showing code 60, idling rough and will die. The shop has already had the bike for three weeks and has replaced the ecu and a fuse. It started running correct for them but on the way home it died on me twice, even while I was still moving on the freeway. The shop is at a loss on what to do next.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Did you find a fix for this? I noticed a high pitch noise coming from my bike with the key in the on position. It seems to be coming from the throttle servo motor. It stops whenever I unplug it or either of the TPS connectors. Just curious if yours is also emitting a high pitch noise.

·
Squid
3,371 Posts
I'm getting an Error Code 60...

Had to replace the subframe after a recent crash, and accidentally hooked up the battery cables backwards. Blew the main 50A fuse, and I was hoping that was the extent of the damage from reversing polarity.

I hope I don't have a fried ECU or other major electrical damage.

I have a service manual, and I'm going to do some checks. I'll post up here what I find out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
same problem today...

I was stupidly trying to jump my bike offf my car this weekend because the battery went dead...impatient...but, the weather was sooo nice The 50.0 A fuse blew. Replaced both battery & fuse today. Electrics came back on, but bike cranked once...idled rough, and i turned it off. Tried to crank again and would not turn over and the same source code.."60"

Let me know your finding so i can start praying..

·
Registered
120 Posts
well looks like were all in the same boat... im building a car with an R1 motor and i wired the starter relay reversed. Blew the 50A and now i have the high pitch whine also... My code 60 is gone but still no starting and still the high pitch whine.

Anyone with any results PLEASE POST THEM

·
Squid
3,371 Posts
So bow did you get the 60 to go away?

I verified that the problem is not the ECU, at least. Buddy brought his R1 over and I switched the ECU out, and 60 still pops up.

Checked both TP sensors, and they are tight as a drum, and all couplers (TP, ECU, Throttle Servo), and they seem to be all right.

Dunno if I mentioned it earlier, but the bike does start up...but it settles down into a slow, rough idle, and will not respond to any throttle input (obviously, since the throttle servo motor is not working).

Right now I am thinking I either have a short in the wiring harness between the ECU and the throttle servomotor, or the voltage spike blew the throttle servomotor out.

If I cannot find any evidence of a short, I'll install the throttle body (and servomotor, which is attached) from my buddy's 07 R1.

Very possible I could have caused some type of short while dicking around with the wiring harness when I replaced the subframe.

Tomorrow I will look for a short.

·
Registered
120 Posts
yankin... does yours have a high pitch noice? I havent dealt with this issue in the past few months where i didnt have the battery attached. That there coulf have easily reset the codes. I have no doubt that it will come back though. Please post your results when you find out. Hopefully i dont need the new servo... but id rather know whats wrong then guess. Ive been building this car for the past year and a half and i just want it to run!

People are too hesitant to put a ECU into a vehicle like mine as its been so heavily modified already. I wish i could swap the 05 one from my bike :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Shop

Spoke with my Yamaha tech this morning, and they had no clue. Of course now, going to have to haul it up there and pay $80 just to have them check it out.

I'm such a dumb ass.

·
Squid
3,371 Posts
Trying to avoid swapping my buddy's TB assy. into my bike if I can...I remember it was a PITA when I checked the valves.

Eliminated the Power Commander as a variable. Took it out of the equation and still got a 60...

@ Blue Devil: No whine that I can detect.

I'm thinking it's one of two things now - either a short between the ECU coupler and the servomotor coupler, or a bad servomotor.

Gonna try to check for any shorts this afternoon, and if I can't find any, I'll swap my buddy's TB assy. in tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Squid
3,371 Posts
Well, I tested the continuity of the wires between the ECU and the Throttle Servomotor, and there appears to be no problem there, unless there is a wire pulled out of a pin inside one of the couplers, which I think to be unlikely.

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but I'm unable to check open-throttle values for either of the TPS units by turning the twistgrip, because the Throttle Servomotor is not functioning. I can, however, check the values by manually opening the throttle blades with my fingers, and the values are in line with what is called for in the manual.

At this point, I suspect that the throttle servomotor is bad, but will not know for sure until tomorrow, when my friend brings his bike back over and we switch his TB assy. into my bike.

I bet the servomotor got fried when I hooked up the batt. cables backwards.

Too bad the main fuse wasn't able to catch the surge.

·
Squid
3,371 Posts
Spoke with my Yamaha tech this morning, and they had no clue. Of course now, going to have to haul it up there and pay $80 just to have them check it out.

I'm such a dumb ass.
Ken, unfortunately, I am kicking myself right now too.

Looks like we're both suffering from a case of dumb-assedness.

·
Squid
3,371 Posts
OK, who can tell me where the throttle servomotor fuse is?

Under Electrical Specs in the service manual, the bike is listed as having a dedicated fuse for the "electric throttle valve." But I can't find anywhere in the service manual that lists a location for the fuse.

I need to find and check this fuse. I don't know why they don't tell you to do this and tell you where it is under the suggested course of action for a Code 60.

Service manager at the dealer said he remembers one blowing out on an '06 R6 and it causing all kinds of problems. He said he seems to remember it being near the throttle bodies somewhere and that it might be taped up and hard to find.

Where is it???

·
Registered
120 Posts
I could be wrong, but from memory isn't there a 7.5A or so ETV fuse in the small box next to the box with the fan fuses? I think it says Head Fuses on it.

I'm not near the motor so let me know what you find.

·
Squid
3,371 Posts
Folks, I've got my fingers crossed that I have found the culprit - blown ETV fuse 7.5A.

For some reason, I missed this blown fuse when I checked all the fuses in the fuse box right after I hooked up the batt. cables backwards. And I did not recognize the ETV fuse as being the fuse for the servomotor.

Anyway, I replaced it with the backup fuse, and the servomotor is now working via the twistgrip, with open and closed values for both TPS units in line!

So, for those having this problem, check your ETV fuse in the fuse box.

And, if anyone in the future has trouble finding the main 50A fuse, it is under the ECU.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts