Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry for bumping this topic, but I just have to thank you guys, you saved my live this evening.......

This man from the Netherlands replaced his R1 battery, but I was such a dumb ass to put the new battery in backwards, so plus to min and min to plus.

the R1 was completely dead afterwards...

sweat dripped of my head....

I found out that the main 50A fuse was blown, so I decided to short circuit it, to see if that was all.
And yes, it started... but no response to the throttle.

more sweat, as I found out a new ECU costs about $2700.

A had given up hope, but then I found this thread, and replaced the ETV fuse.

everything is fine now.

So I had two nasty hours tonight, but the smile is back on my face again now :)

Thanks guys for posting your information here!

·
**** My Life!
99 Posts
yeah, what ^ he said!!!! kick ass post thanks OP

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wish I had the luck you guys do.

My bike was wrecked last season and after replacing the sub-frame, gas tank, and a few other items I tried to get it running for the first time since the accident a few days ago with no luck. At first it started then shut right off. I thought it was because the bike was pretty cold so I gave it a little throttle to bring the revs up when it started and the motor didnt like that at all. Before I get to the rest of the story, I checked the ETV fuse and it was ok, but I replaced it anyway and still have a non running bike.

After almost killing the battery trying to start it I put it on the battery tender overnight and gave it a shot the next day.... with ether. The bike started right up and ran ok as long as I kept the rpms around 2-3000. Any variance would lead to running like poop and the eventual stall. Once it warmed up a little I tried an ether start then WOT to see what it revs to and it sounded like it had the rev limiter at 6,000 rpms and it threw an 18 code (exup). I twiddled with the exup and the code went away but the bike idles for 3 seconds with no throttle input and stalls with any throttle input now, kind of like before. One thing that I know is different from before the accident is the whining from the throttle valve motor. It works, (opens blades fairly smoothly) just nosier than before.

I am guessing a fueling problem because it runs fine with a spritz of ether to get it going and it will run on its own as long as the torottle is held still. The gas tank was off the bike for 2 months and I put brand new 93 octane fuel in a bone dry tank.

Is checking the input signal to the injectors a good start? Maybe fuel pressure?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just did the ether start after the exup code was fixed and it revs fine. I hate getting ether near my bike but it is the only way to get it to run. Tried using a different battery (maybe low voltage) and that did nothing.

·
why not
13 Posts
looks like I'm not the only dumb arse around after connecting the battery up the wrong way still not sure how I could stuff a simple job like that up replaced the 50amp fuse all it would do was idle I had checked all fusees so I thought 3 weeks later I read this post went and checked ETV ( I thought I had all ready checked it some how missed it ) and replaced it the bike is running sweet as.
Thank you blokes very much.

·
Pimp slapping hos since 1964
163 Posts
:drum: you Rock

Several years later, this thread is still saving peoples bacon. I don't log on much, but thanks for being here when I do.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Had the same problem. Make the wire harness isn't obstructing with the mechanical arm that is attached to the servo motor causing it to bind up. If that's not the problem, make sure you have power at the motor when you turn the key on. If you have power at the plug replace the servo motor. If you don't have power at the plug, start checking fuses.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So i too had the same problem (2016 R1M) I let a friend borror the battery out of mine while I was at work so he could ride his bike to the dealer to drop it off. When he put the battery back in he hooked the ground on first causing a fuse to pop. I get home and the bike cranks and wants to fire but either wont or it will and just idles and the throttle does nothing. So i went thru and checked every fuse and found the 7.5 amp fuse for the ETV had blown. Replaced it and shes back running like new. By the way the fuse box is located on the left up front under the dash display.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mine was exactly the same as described below, changed the battery, crossed the wires by mistake, got code 60, changed the #3 7.5 amp fuse ETV and presto, she fired back to life. thank you for posting. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
you are a hero for this lol i was having so much trouble finding the route cause to this problem and it was a stupid fuse, i even ripped out the power commander because i thought it was choking it

41 - 53 of 53 Posts