Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Hold On
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what the differences are between the 2007 Euro and US spec. bikes? Looking at the Power Commander website and looking at their different maps that are available, was wondering why a different map for the Euro bikes and why they specify the O2 sensor disconnected and no mention of the O2 sensor on non-Euro bikes. Anybody ever talk to the folks at Dynojet and given any explanation for the differences?

·
Registered
995 Posts
n0
from what I'm reading on this site about US bikes power, euro ones seem more powerfull in the way they are mapped, for instance mine is an italian model and put on rw about 161 hp stock, the same here is revealed by magazines,all are agree that R1 07 is the preformance king this year.

·
Rebel w/ a Cause
21,153 Posts
Theres definetly as Difference in the ECU's
and it has to do with the different Polution Regulations....
Dont know exactly what they are, but i do say you do
a little more research b4 buying Euro parts or maps for a US spec bike! $.02

·
Hold On
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I'm wondering, if the ECU is different (I'm assume fuel mapping) for pollution standards in different parts of the world and the mechanical parts are the same (let's assume) all over the world, why wouldn't the Power Commander maps (Euro vs. US) be the same? Maybe they have to trick the ECU in different ways (program)? Just wondering if anybody had the real reason.

·
//Low-Life\\
24,784 Posts
I guess I'm wondering, if the ECU is different (I'm assume fuel mapping) for pollution standards in different parts of the world and the mechanical parts are the same (let's assume) all over the world, why wouldn't the Power Commander maps (Euro vs. US) be the same? Maybe they have to trick the ECU in different ways (program)? Just wondering if anybody had the real reason.
We have been over this before, It wont work...:fact

·
Hold On
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
What won't work? I'm not talking about swapping ECUs. Just wondering why there are different fuel maps on the power commander site. If the Euro and US bikes are the same mechanically(?) I would think they would need the same amount of fuel?

·
Hold On
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm just trying get a more specific answer, like... the Euro models have the ECU programmed to have the throttle blades to open "full" at a lower rpm than US spec. so the Euro bike needs more fuel at that rpm. Just trying find out more details about my bike and how everything works, that's all. Maybe I should word the question " how are the ECUs different?" and pollution regs can't be the answer (too general). Maybe by chance someone on this forum talked to Yamaha, a computer geek, or a Power Commander rep. and got the specifics. Just a shot in the dark. I didn't think it would hurt so much to ask.

·
Rebel w/ a Cause
21,153 Posts
I'm just trying get a more specific answer, like... the Euro models have the ECU programmed to have the throttle blades to open "full" at a lower rpm than US spec. so the Euro bike needs more fuel at that rpm. Just trying find out the more details about my bike and how everything works, thats all. Maybe I should word the question " how are the ECUs different?" and pollution regs can't be the answer (too general). Maybe by chance someone on this forum talked to Yamaha, a computer geek, or a Power Commander rep. and got the specifics. Just a shot in the dark. I didn't think it would hurt so much to ask.

So Search the Forum, its been discussed About a million times!
There should be plenty info on this thread...

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185084&highlight=lag

Should be a Fun Read...............................NOT:butt

i think you can get what your looking for, the reason i point you towards this thread is because it what was being discussed, is that "can i use a euro ECU to remove the Lag". The same reason why we couldnt do that, is the same reason why you cant use a Euro Map on a US ECU...(from what i'm guessing) :crash

·
Hold On
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You're joking right???? Your last words read ""(from what I'm guessing)". I'm trying to avoid that very statement. Dude, I don't have time to read through 95 pages about throttle lag at 5500rpm. Can you give me the page number or just tell me why? If you can't answer the question, why do you feel the need to give me crap for asking? I've tried the "search", and maybe I'm using it incorrectly, but I get alot of garbage (like 95 pages of complaining about throttle lag, your forum link). I'm sure 90% of the new questions on this forum have been answered in one form or another in the past. Us new members aren't trying to piss-off you old-timers by asking the same old stupid questions. At least in my case, I'm just trying to get the most up to date, factual (not opinion and no guessing) answers, and yes I admit, in the shortest amount of time. There maybe a chance a Power Commander or Graves engineer skimming through this forum in the next couple of days may have current info and could answer some of these questions. I found that most guys that know their "stuff" love to share their knowledge.

I'll ask my initial question a different way.. "Does anybody know why the Euro model and US bikes are different and what did Yamaha do to make them different (specifics)? And by the way I'm stupid and don't know how to use the search feature!"

I haven't ask you... what is the best oil???.....Yet!!!!

·
Rebel w/ a Cause
21,153 Posts
Sorry then man...
I dont know the exact answer..
and i said "I guess" because i dont want to give false Info,
just tryed to give you a helping hand! to find your Detailed answer....

Nobody is going to take time out to explain it.
But they will give you the quick Yes or No answer as Posted above....

*It wont work, So keep researching for the reason why!
Sorry if i wasnt much help!

·
Hold On
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool, no harm ment. Just gets frustrating when I try to get some answers and I'll leave it at that. I'm not trying to swap ECUs or even use a PCIII Euro map on my US bike. So, when people say it won't work I don't get it? I was just looking at the different maps and wondering why the difference (w/same exhaust) and I guess I was just hoping somebody would spend the time and explain it in a little more detail.

·
Fat bikers bounce better
10 Posts
As someone noted ,there is a difference with the us and uk emission regulations ,as a uk 07 r1 owner i would buy a power commander as the injector plugs are the same and pay for a bit of dyno time rather than download an 'acceptable' map,I had a power commander on my gsxr600 k4 and downloaded a map but i still took it in and had it tweeked on a dyno (much better).

We on this side of the pond are told to keep away from buying jap imported bikes as we are told that they are de-tuned compared to ours (again due to regs).

Happy biking

·
UEM Dragracing
16 Posts
In a FAQ from Dynojet they wrote that the fuels in US and Europe are not exactly the same, so with the same setup one would run a little bit leaner than the other.
The difference seems to be very small, since they say "in some cases you could use a european map on a US bike with good results".

·
Hold On
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
So, what I'm getting out of this is..(besides the transponder key, whatever)the only thing that is different is the software. All the parts are the same except that little old black box under the seat. When you buy parts for a 07 R1 you can go to any country in the world and it should fit your bike? I would think Dynojet would know exactly what the differences in the ECUs are since they have to get inside that box and find out how to change it. Again, I'm not planning on swapping ECUs or using a Euro map. I do plan on getting a custom map soon. I guess my curiosity has the best of me.

I think the light bulb just went on for me. My original thinking (I'm not calling it logic) was that if the bikes are identical, except for the ECUs, then fuel mixture and ignition timing (not percentage as in the PCIII maps)) should be the same in all 07 R1s to make the best power. I still think that to be true, but where I think I got tripped up was looking at the PCIII canned maps and trying to compare Euro vs. US and assuming that their base lines were the same. I was comparing the maps on their website and thought (assumed) the the starting point for the different maps were identical.... same fuel amount at same rpm and throttle. I asked myself, why then did the PCIII..let's say for example... @40% throttle and 8000rpm add 4% fuel for the US bike and for the Euro bike they added only 2%? So, what I am thinking (yea it hurts) is maybe the Euro bikes already (for their base line, stock) have an increase of 2% of fuel over the stock US, so they (Euro.) only needs 2% more fuel to get they same power where as the US bike needs to add 4% fuel over their stock base line. The US bike needs a different map since the stock starting points are different. I guess I just misinterpreted the graph that is on the PCIII which showed the base lines being the same, which in reality are not. Does this sound plausable or do I need another beer? Hey, it's after 12:00 for the Euro bikes. Would I be wrong in saying that all the bikes need the same amount of fuel coming out of the injectors to make the best power (everthing else being equal), the differnce is how the ECU is programmed to give that "said" amount? The next question (I know I shouldn't ask), does a Euro bike and US bike make the same power after adding the same aftermarket exhaust and using their respective PCIII canned maps?

Didn't even think about the different types of fuel..thanks.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.