Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Draggin chest hairs since 2008
1,313 Posts
IMO, wait until you get the R6 down real good... Wait until you know that bike like the back of your hand, where you can rip through the gears with ease and take corners without worrying of tipping or losing the bike. What Im trying to say is, feel 110% comfortable on the R6. If you feel like your at 99%, your not ready to move up to a litre bike.

R1 isnt hard to ride, but its not good for a beginner.

·
1/4 mile in X.XX seconds?
1,665 Posts
you know yourself better than anyone if you like curves and like to flick the small bike in the curves you might not ever want to move up people will go faster on a 600 than a 1000 most of the time anyway

·
4,087 Posts
I rode my 2005 r6 all season put 7000 miles on it and I was thinking about getting an r1 as my next bike. After reading all the posts from experienced riders to the new people trying to buy an r1 as their first bike, I think I want another r6. The comments about learning how to corner are really sticking with me, I could take corners on my r6 but ive never been to a track day and ive only been able to get close to 45 degree lean in very frightening emergency situations. I feel like I'll become a better rider by learning how to really master a smaller bike untill I can use it like a scalpel to cut razor sharp turns and twists instead of grabbing the r1 and tearing off down the straightaways of my local interstate. Is it possible to really hone your skills on the r1? Or would i spend all my time fighting to keep it rubber side down.

It's not even that bad. If you can ride an R6, you can ride an R1. There is nothing any different about riding an R1 and an R6 except you have more power and you have a 190 rear tire. You are not going to give it too much gas in a turn and wipe out. You would have to give it a retarded amount of throttle or be leaning pretty hard. But any person comfortable enough to be leaning that hard, most likely knows how to work the throttle.

The R1 is the easiest bike I've ever ridden. I can take turns with one hand all day long if I wanted to. Once you lean it into a turn, it holds that position for you until you stand it back up. Every 600 class sport bike I've ever ridden feels sloppy (in comparison) in the turns and take more effort to control. The front tire always wants to turn in and you have to force the countersteer. My friend's 02 954 felt the same way.

I had an 04 R1 as a first bike. I learned to ride on an F4i and SV650S before I ever bought my first bike though, but I only had a total of about 3000 miles of experience on them. I put 20k miles on my 04 before it got stolen, then put about 6000 on an 05 GSXR 1000. I've got over 8000 on my 07 R1 now. I've been down exactly zero times. As long as you can comfortably operate a motorcycle, you can ride any motorcycle. Whether you lay it down or not depends on how big of a jackass you want to act on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.