Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Life begins at 140
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. I was a die hard Gixxer fan until last week. That was when my dealer dropped off my new baby. The weather here in CT is not the best for riding at the moment, so I have only managed to put on 100 miles. First impression is :finger !! This bike handles as good (if not better) than my 2000 GSXR750 and the smooth power is unreal...

I am planning to start working on the bike in the next couple weeks. The near future mods I have planned are:

1) Turn Signals in place of running lights (lightlens.com)
Anyone got a slick way of plugging the old turn signal holes?

2) Fender eliminator with Trick Plate
I am working on an eliminator that would allow the plate to be rotated 90 degrees and lock in place. I might be making more than one. Let me know if anyone would be interested. I do not know the cost yet....

3) Two Bros Carbon Fiber
I had a 2 bros on my gixxer. I think they have one of the best sounds around for the money... I also has a Yosh on another gixxer. I was not happy with the yosh sound.

I see a power commander and sprocket change in my future as well... This is going to one hell of a summer...

:riding :rock

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oddly enough I am going from a 2000 GSXR750 to a 2004 silver R1(has'nt arrived yet). Pretty corny just thought it was a coinsidence. My gixxer was blue and white by the way. Is the R1 any tougher to ride I only have one season behind me and am kind of nervous about the upgrade?

·
Life begins at 140
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NorthTroyBoy said:
Oddly enough I am going from a 2000 GSXR750 to a 2004 silver R1(has'nt arrived yet). Pretty corny just thought it was a coinsidence. My gixxer was blue and white by the way. Is the R1 any tougher to ride I only have one season behind me and am kind of nervous about the upgrade?
Mine was (still is until sold) Yellow and black. You should be ok. I have found the power to come in smooth as a baby's bottom :thumbup Take it at your own pace. Don't worry about keeping up with your buddies just yet. That is when the power will give you a good kickin the butt :scared

·
Life begins at 140
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mickey_D100 said:
For plugging the old turn signal holes, I believe Gregg's Customs (site sponsor) makes flushmount signals for the bike, as well as signal hole covers in chrome or color-matched. I'm not sure off the top if they're ready for 04 yet, but I believe they are. :thumbup The site is www.greggscustoms.com.
Tanks a million Mickey

·
04 R1 parts for sale
1,607 Posts
This is something I did today. First, do like you wanted and make your running lights turn signals. Next, get rid of those bulky turn signals. Then, If you dont mind, take the Yamaha logo off of the gas tank and stick it over the blinker holes. The adhesive that holds on the logo can easily be remoed with Goo Off. There will be no evidence of anything ever being on the gas tank. And take some kind of adhesive and place the logos over the signal holes. If you dont like. Oh well. Put it back the way it was. Cost of this project.....Nothing.

·
mmmmm...black bike
1,856 Posts
congrats on the new bike!! Yeah there is quite a difference from the 750 to a litre bike. Enjoy it and keep the rubber side down:thumbup :hellobye

·
I like beer
1,799 Posts
MR_GIXXER_MAN said:
congrats on the new bike!! Yeah there is quite a difference from the 750 to a litre bike. Enjoy it and keep the rubber side down:thumbup :hellobye
I can't believe you said that. Most gixxer guys run around here saying how the 750 has litre like performance. The 750 is a great bike but IMO it is night and day between the way the 2 perform (most notably torque).

·
Too old for this crap...
1,869 Posts
I'm still betting for suzuki 05 lineup. They usually wait till all their competitor unleashed their secrets then they'll release something big to stomp it all. I still remember 2001.

·
I like beer
1,799 Posts
EliminatorR1 said:
I'm still betting for suzuki 05 lineup. They usually wait till all their competitor unleashed their secrets then they'll release something big to stomp it all. I still remember 2001.
yes and I remember 98 and 2004. i am sure that suzuki will come out stomping in 2005 but can we at least enjoy 2004 first?

·
Too old for this crap...
1,869 Posts
Of course you can, I'm just saying we cant count out the suzukis yet.

yeah, yama came out with the R1 in 98 and it took 3 years for suzuki to beat it and hold the throne for 3 years. 2004 will be the year of R1 or ZX10 (which still remains to be seen).

·
Life begins at 140
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Suzuki still has a place in my heart <<Sniff>> I would have probably waited until 05 for the new 1000, but I personally do not like the new headlight design of the Gixxer family. The new R1 is the best looking bike design I have seen in a while (just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions...)

I stayed with a 750 for as long as I did because I want the whole package. I get more of a rush running thru twisties than I do running the 1/4 mi.... My new baby has not disappointed me in the handling dept :finger

·
mmmmm...black bike
1,856 Posts
young said:
I can't believe you said that. Most gixxer guys run around here saying how the 750 has litre like performance. The 750 is a great bike but IMO it is night and day between the way the 2 perform (most notably torque).

Ok I will say this..the 750 has been revised and I still think it is a great track bike and is still making the sales....hence they did not get rid of it.

By now I would think you guys would know I am not like most gixxer guys :p I do own a Yamaha FZ1 and absolutely LOVE it. I do love my G1k too...but my post was basically stating that the torque increase is the noticeable thing right away. He also stated the change of gearing...I have my G1k with -1 on the front sprocket too so naturally when i jump on the FZ1 I am like...sheesh where is the scoot??...but it gets there just fine ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts