Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
R1 is AWESOME, but has issues
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings,

I'm re-installing the exhaust camshaft, but it does not want to seat correctly. I zip-tied the chain to the exhaust camshaft sprocket but, foolishly, not the intake one.

The timing marks on the cam sprockets line-up correctly (though it's hard to tell in the pics cuz of the angle).

With no slack between the cam sprockets, the cam sits as shown in the picture. I suspect that the chain jumped a tooth in the intake side. Or, perhaps, I just need to push really hard to compress the valve spring to seat the camshaft properly. Got any wisdom on this?

·
Premium Member
11,961 Posts
Yep. Looks good so far. That’s how mine was. It’s right in there.

Be sure to screw down the cam caps in a cross pattern and very evenly so that you don’t snap one of them.

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wait!!!!! I see you have the cam caps installed only.

You must install them all at the same time. Intake and exhaust caps need to be installed slowly in a cross pattern.
Right now, none of the exhaust caps are installed (I did nothing to the intake side, so those have not moved). I'm not gonna install them until I'm certain the chain is on the correct teeth. It SEEMS to be correct and I just need to push like hades on the camshaft over the #1 and #2 cylinders to get it in place, THEN put the cam caps on.

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been trying to seat the camshaft prior to installing the cam caps. Do you use the cam caps to seat the camshaft by tightening them? Or do you fully seat the camshaft, then install the cam caps?

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With all the tension, you will need to get the cams seated with the cam caps using the cross pattern very carefully.
DANGIT! I totally spaced that I turned the crank while measuring the valve clearance, then re-aligned the K mark on the pickup rotor to remove the CCT. Fcuk. Not sure what to do about that since the CCT is on my workbench. I don't want to strip-out any cam cap holes in the head while trying to re-seat the camshaft.

Could I remove both camshafts, re-align the K mark on the pickup rotor, and reinstall both camshafts? The service manual does state to install the exhaust cams first. But the manual makes it sound so easy:
Install:
• Exhaust camshaft “1”
• Intake camshafts “2” (guess I'm supposed to have multiple intake camshafts)

It seems that, at the very least, I should remove the intake cam caps to verify the timing. The lobe position of the #2 exhaust seems just wrong. (Unless this is just more bad design, like the toolkit placement that you need tools to access.)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ps. The exhaust cam goes in first, before the inlet.

I'd tighten the cam cap with 2 bolts first, and then the 4 cap on the right side. Doesn't have to be tightened to the end, as this can throw off the chain. Remember to use your zip ties.

Also allow just a little slack on the forward end when doing this. The crank or the cam shaft will turn 1 or 2 degrees of setpoint, but it's ok. Adjust for this when placing the inlet cam.

Use your zip ties again on the inlet camshaft

After tightening the same 2 caps (6 bolts) on the inlet, tighten all 12 bolts you've installed just a wee bit more, until the caps touch the surface of your cylinder head. Check if you've got the timing right by turning the crank a few degrees and back to your start setting.

Hope this helps, or that you find better instructions.

Cheers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts