Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I'm going to get a slip on exhaust system for my 04 R1, probably Akrapovic. Is it necessary to get the y pipe also? Why or why not? What are the performance gains, if any, by doing so? As always, your help is greatly appreciated! :thumbup

·
What did I do this time?
122 Posts
Yeah, try the search. I did and I still don't know what is going on. I may not have many post but I have been here for a while and read alot. I don't believe I am the only one a bit confused. Still getting use to FI.

So, would somebody please settle the controversy if these bikes (04-05) run rich or lean. With hard facts, like a note from Yamaha. (Yes I have seen the data from the guy with specially made headers who took exhaust measurements.) Before reading any post I had assumed lean especially after exhaust mods which is supported by most threads. BUT, several threads report the bikes to be rich, especially on the low end.

I am doing my homework before trying the dash ecu tune.

Signed,
Confused Scientist:confused:

·
Postwhore grasshopper
699 Posts
the dash ecu tune.. you have to do a diff wire for the 04 05 . i dont know if you noticed.. i tryed it and couldnt get it so i gave up. to many of the same colored wires and didnt want to risk burning the ecu up

·
Banned
579 Posts
OK

Just went out and checked an 04 R1 map with a full Arata system that I've done, and everywhere from 10% throttle onwards, fuel is being pulled out. Varies from 2% to 25% in different parts of the map. So for the most part, they are rich. No manufacturer intheir right mind would release bikes to be thrashed that are lean from the factory and will then lean out more with a pipe etc. For the most part they are on the safer side of being safe from factory. The only place they'll lean out in general is where they are tested for emissions.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's worth the $ and get a power commander. Down load a map that comes with the PC and take it to a bike shop with a Dyno.
See what it does. If it needs some fine tuning, get the Dyno guy to tweeck it.(WARNING...ONLY TAKE IT TO SOMEBODY THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING)!!!
It can get costly for a custom map,but from most guys on here it was worth it.

I've seen some guys on here trading custom maps.

Hope this helps

·
Banned
579 Posts
yep

once they're put on to your bike, they are not custom maps anymore. A custom map is ONLY a map that was written for YOUR bike. What was said above is true, every bike is different hence the reason for getting it done. Otherwise it'd just be a matter of dynojet getting a bike, putting a pipe on it, making a map and then sending them, spot on to your door with the right map in it for your pipe etc. Doesn't work that way though.

Anyway, my point was, that they are not lean from factory.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.