Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my R1 has the two brother carbon can slip ons. They were stupidly loud for daily driving and I kept going deaf. So bought the P1X insert from Two Brothers, installed it and it works. Yesterday i find out that perhaps it works too well. As I am riding my ass felt like it was going to melt off. Turns out, (my hypothesis) the back pressure created by the insert popped the entire right can out of its mount. Basically the rivets punctured straight out.

Any suggestions on how to fix this without buying a new exhaust?

This is what i have come up with so far. Slightly move the collar around and make new holes, assuming i can remove the original rivets and install new ones.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
you take the can off and take it apart then cut that side an inch shorter and put it together drill new holes and rivet it again. two brothers is not great quality so i couldn't say if it will do this again or not and if so how long.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you take the can off and take it apart then cut that side an inch shorter and put it together drill new holes and rivet it again. two brothers is not great quality so i couldn't say if it will do this again or not and if so how long.
Yes that was the first thing i thought of but my mechanic said that one can will be shorter than the other which can effect the performance of the whole system, and it will look stupid lol.

And I totally agree with you on the whole two brothers aint good quality. So i am not sure whether to keep ****ing with this, or just bite the bullet and get a graves or yoshi or freaking anything besides the 2 bros. Especially the carbon cans. I always hated carbon cans. Lighter but not as durable.

·
I miss my R1
3,001 Posts
A two bros "system" (or likely any brand, tbh) isn't going to be negatively affected by removing 1/4 inch of length from one can. Nobody is going to notice that one can is 1/4 of an inch shorter unless you tell them and if it concerns you that much, make the other one shorter to match.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Your mechanic would normally be correct if your exhaust was true dual then theoretically yes changing length could affect performance to some slight degree BUT all 4 headers drop into one pipe eqalizing the back pressure then it splits into the 2 cans so it actually doesn't matter at all what you do. You could run one can on and one can you could remove and throw off a bridge and the change would affect all 4 equally so the slight adjustment to fuel you might have to do would be done to all 4. Also the pipes are just a straight through design so 1 inch off won't make any kind of difference in the tune. If your worried about it cuz an inch off the other one so they match in length.

·
Nevermore
1,045 Posts
Don't blame carbon cans. My 13 year old Termignoni cans look just as good as day one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So racked my brain yesterday solving this. Apologies for stating rivets can be reused, the equivalent to saying Im going to re use the bullet i just fired.

Anyway, after disassembling it I realized that the collar through which the rivets enter and proceed into the carbon can etc, is actually flexible. So I rotated it so that the rivet entry points are far from the original torn through points, and proceeded to drill new holes through the carbon and then the metal base. Worked like a charm, especially after I learned what a ****en rivet tool is. Courtesy of Harbor Freight, which btw, is the cheapest place to buy tools at least in CA.

Thank for everyones help. Although another problem did arise, which is the ****en torx bolts are soft like butter. Stripped two of them, and I was using such lite pressure its ridiculous. I dont know if this is another 2 bros quality control issue, or just these torx bolts. Going to have to drill through at least one of them, but they still holding the end caps on for now soooo....tbd

·
Save a life, grope your wife!
1,494 Posts
A two bros "system" (or likely any brand, tbh) isn't going to be negatively affected by removing 1/4 inch of length from one can. Nobody is going to notice that one can is 1/4 of an inch shorter unless you tell them and if it concerns you that much, make the other one shorter to match.
I would notice. And I would point and laugh and publicly shame him for such a thing. >:)

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you shorten it, you'll displace the bolt point on the bike forward by same distance. Without further engineering You wouldn't be able to bolt the can to the subframe.

I think you'll be better off getting a band of material around the broken river points, and then riveting that band to the rest of the pipe.

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk

·
My R1 go to warp drive
490 Posts
Sad to say but that repair is not going to last. I used buy Two Brothers CF exhaust and this was a common occurrence. I've formed an opinion that Two Brothers exhaust are crap and I will never invest in their exhaust again. The material they use with the CF exhaust becomes brittle and crack over time. The only way I was able to permanently repair the exhaust was to run a brace from one end of the exhaust to the other, to keep it together. I tried cutting an inch off as stated, I tried twisting it, like you did and all the repairs fell apart over time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sad to say but that repair is not going to last. I used buy Two Brothers CF exhaust and this was a common occurrence. I've formed an opinion that Two Brothers exhaust are crap and I will never invest in their exhaust again. The material they use with the CF exhaust becomes brittle and crack over time. The only way I was able to permanently repair the exhaust was to run a brace from one end of the exhaust to the other, to keep it together. I tried cutting an inch off as stated, I tried twisting it, like you did and all the repairs fell apart over time.
Yeah I know it wont last. But i daily it so I need it running. I am currently in the market for a another exhaust. If anyone has anything they want to sell, hit me up!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts