Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mr. Body Massagin' Machine, GO
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, almost done rebuilding an 02 R1, but I'm not sure the Exup is working properly. I saw another post that says the valve should open fully and then close completely when you turn on the key. I have the covers removed, and when I turn the key, they move about 5 degrees counterclockwise and then back to the "notch aligned with valve cover hole" position. It seems like there should be much more movement to fully open and close the exup valve. I've followed the directions in the service manuals that i downloaded and in other posts on here and it seems like I've got the setup and adjustments right, but it just doesn't seem to operate the way i think it should. If you know exactly how much the valve pulley should rotate when switching the key on, please let me know. Also, if it seems like mine is not dunctioning properly, any suggestions on fixing it? I should also mention that the dash doesn't show any fault codes or anything out of the ordinary. PLEASE HELP!

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
Hey there mate. Rest easy, I'd say all is working fine.

Don't pay too much attention to what happens when you turn the key. The purpose that serves is so the ECU can 'reset' the EXUP ready for starting. The only way to fully check it's operation is with the engine running and revved. If the EXUP is in near-ready position for starting, it will barely move at all or sometimes not at all. I've worked on more R1's than I care to remember and seen all kinds of EXUP scenarios and so far yours sounds normal.

When you start the engine with the cover off, have someone rev it and you'll see the EXUP fully move if all's well. You'll soon know if it's not when riding the bike too. They generally stick giving poor low end with a massive top end rush or vice versa instead of smooth power throughout the rev range when working properly.

Here's the page from the manual that at least shows you how to set it statically:

Hope this helps :thumbup

·
Mr. Body Massagin' Machine, GO
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help! I got the nerve up to start it last night, and it seemed to start up and rev fine. Once I've got the rest of it ready to ride, I'll take it for a spin and see how it performs. Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.