Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 2019 R1, it came with an Akrapovic end can, but still has the CAT etc... The bike is far too quiet for my liking.

As most know, when revved the servo under the rear seat opens a valve just behind the CAT and it sounds far more like I want it to.

My long term goal is to De-cat the bike and get a map stuck on there, although for the time being I'm thinking of detaching the servo cables and finding a way to hold the valve perminantly open to keep the louder & nicer exhaust note at all times.

Someone I met recently whilst out and about on the bike said the trick is to remove the cables and stick a servo buddy in there to trick the ECU into thinking all is well, or to just detach the cables and let the servo continue to do it's thing which will keep the Fi error light off the dash. This is not new to me although I hadn't thought about their suggestion of reversing the spring to keep the valve open.

Whats everyones thought on this, I did a little research and found a mixed bag of opinions & thoughts. Is it actually possible to reverse the spring after detaching the cables? But more importantly does doing any of this harm the engine by cocking up the stock mapping enough to be of concern?

Cheers
Paul

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
2,162 Posts
Just disconnect the cables and prop the valve open for your set up if you want temporarily.

But you gotta flash your ecu. Disable servo n remove it. Your bike will love you more.

Bam! - Emeril

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just disconnect the cables and prop the valve open for your set up if you want temporarily.

But you gotta flash your ecu. Disable servo n remove it. Your bike will love you more.

Bam! - Emeril

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Cheers for your reply.

So coming from the angle of potentially doing damage to the engine, I'm good? Do you mean that I need to flash the ECU long term just because it makes the bike better (unlocking it's full potential) or is it necessary to flash the ECU to avoid issues after detaching the cables and keeping the valve open?

I don't know if I'm confusing this with some other sort of valve, or maybe what I had read was relating to older EXUP valve set-ups pre-big bang engines.... I had heard a handful of people say that doing so can burn out an engine inlet valve by having the exhaust burtterfly valve held open and not having the ECU mapped.

All I want for the moment is for the valve to be stuck open to have a better louder sound, the intension is to stick a link pipe on and take it over to Royston in REPS Caldicot to have him stick a Woolich map on there. (prob at some point early 2021)

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts