Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2004 R1 with about 20k miles on her.
OK, so I decided to give it a shot after the exorbitant amount the bike shop quoted me. My first attempt ended up with me taking the tank off and dropping the radiator. Changed the plugs out without gapping them and threw the coils back on. Hooked the tank back in and fired her up. Didn't sound quite right and wouldn't idle proper eventually cutting out. Ended up killing my battery.

Second attempt, I dropped the radiator pulled the plugs out, gapped them (not much of a difference) and dropped them back in this time making sure the coils were screwed on tight. Installed my freshly charged battery and voila she starts right up. All the cylinders seem to fire up just right and no check engine light. Here's the problem, I can't seem to rev her, if i give it gas(real slow, gradually or fast) she sounds like she's choking and cuts out at about 4k's. I do not have the radiator plugged back in and this is the only difference from before changing the plugs. Apart from the bike's battery being removed and plugged back in. I do have a power commander installed as well.

HELP!

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
Why would you remove the radiator?
I had to as well. IT's that or remove the airbox and other shit. I went in from the side and had to drop the radiator...or well...move it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the service manual justs says to drop the radiator, remove coils, remove plugs, gap new ones drop em back in. I've managed to do all that just fine. I just can't rev the bike it cuts out. it idles just fine.

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
13,996 Posts
I have the service manual justs says to drop the radiator, remove coils, remove plugs, gap new ones drop em back in. I've managed to do all that just fine. I just can't rev the bike it cuts out. it idles just fine.
I guess I spoke to soon. I changed the plugs on my 02 many times but haven't had to on my 06. It was done right befor I purchased the bike used. I have the manual but didn't look into the sp change yet.

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
13,996 Posts
Did you recharge the battery to full capacity after it died. That may be the problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I did mine, I couldn't 'screw' the coils to the plugs cause the smog crap was in the way, so I jammed it in... Do you know if they are maybe not connected all the way?
I am pretty sure they are connected all the way, like you said, I jammed them in too and screwed them in after making sure I applied pressure. Plus the bike idles fine all four cylinders run just fine. The problem starts when i give it gas. Starts choking. I thought maybe it could be the power commander or the radiator not being installed as these would be the only variables.

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
al 4 cyl firing right?? all headpipes warm after few seconds of running... so when u give it gas it flakes out. first try this... eliminate problem.. lift tank and unplug powercommander, plug in stock wiring.. try that. if that cures it.. update pc3 with latest software, load zero map to it.. plug it in and see if that works. if so.. then reload ur map u were running in first place.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
al 4 cyl firing right?? all headpipes warm after few seconds of running... so when u give it gas it flakes out. first try this... eliminate problem.. lift tank and unplug powercommander, plug in stock wiring.. try that. if that cures it.. update pc3 with latest software, load zero map to it.. plug it in and see if that works. if so.. then reload ur map u were running in first place.

Tried that last night but didn't seem to fix it. I did find a kink in my fuel line which could also be the problem, but now my battery seems to be dead again. Will have to wait while it recharges. will look out for the headpipes didn't think to check it that way.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.