Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I know this is the R1 forum but I get tons a help here for my R1 and I'm sure some folks on here know a thing a two about worrying in general, and I Also know some others own 2006 r6 bikes here too, anyways here's my dilemma :).....

Ok, so me & my brother been at this for days and can't figure it or to save my life. So i purchased this 06 R6 a little over a month ago and been rebuilding it and making it pretty. I noticed the fans were hooked to a manual switch, so as I'm rebuilding it I figure I would return it back to stock working condition. So I figured I would stay with hookingeverything back up to the stock connections and stay trouble spring from there. I stayed by just turning the bike on and letting it go up to 212 degrees to confirm they arnt working properly, and they didn't. I then stayed by following the trouble shooting tree in the service manual, everything checks good, including the relay, temp sensor, no codes are popping... i started opening up the wiring harness found some broken wires fixed them, traced the wires included in the fan system they are all good. I put the bike in diagnostic mode and the system runs is tests, the light comes on 5 times like it should on the dash but the fans don't operate in any way while it's doing is thing. Now, the confusing part (for me) comes here, while I'm using the test light to test for any kind of power going threw the wires, i touch it to the green wire in the picture below ( second from the right) the fans power up like a champ, so I'm wondering why the fans are turning when I ground that specific wire.... we are on the verge of hooking it back up to a switch, but now is a matter of pride lol, i have a hard time losing to inanimate objects lol, anyways I'd rather ask some one on here before I give up on this damn thing**thanks in advance guys :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

·
37,490 Posts
maybe there was a reason the previous owner put in a manual fan switch. :crash

·
Thread killer...
2,552 Posts
The first thing that came to mind was a bad ground. Looking at the pictures of your harness though, it could be anything. I would seriously consider replacing your wire harness. eBay is littered with 06 R6 wire harnesses for $50 or less in excellent shape.

·
37,490 Posts
Might want to check the temp sensor that sends the signal to the fan relay.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked it liked the book asked, and it marks the correct temperature.... could the sensor mark the correct temperature but still be bad? ...... because I thought the temp sensor only marked the temp, I didn't know it sent a signal to the relay

·
Moving sucks...
10,143 Posts
Without looking at a wiring schematic, my guess is that the cooling fan system works like this:
You have a fused circuit, a fan relay, temp sensor, and a couple of cooling fans that are known good. The previous owner probably bypassed the temp sensor with a manual switch.

If you've wired it all back to stock:
There's a relay that's connected to the temp sensor. When the sensor gets to a set temperature, it either opens up a circuit or closes it. You can check it by putting a meter across the two leads on the sensor, with the bike cold and engine not running, ignition switch set to off. Repeat the test when the desired temp is reached, engine not running, ignition switch set to off. One test should show close to zero ohms, one test should show no connectivity through the sensor (infinity). If the results of both are the same, you're probably looking at a bad sensor. If the results of both tests are good, find the 12V input to the relay and the output that goes to the fans. 12V input should always be there, once the engine temp is reached, put a meter on the output side and see if you have 12V. If you don't, you can tap on the relay with a screwdriver and see if that fixes it (replace the relay regardless). If you have 12V output at temp, trace the wiring over to the fans. It's also possible that the relay simply provides a ground for the fans and 12V is always present at the fans, alter your testing accordingly.

With any electrical problem, a good first step is a very thorough visual inspection. Look for cut wires, evidence of arcing (short circuit), corrosion, or any other type of damage. My guess is that your problem is directly related to the work that the previous owner did but keep an open mind while troubleshooting. Replacing the entire wiring harness for this problem isn't necessary unless the previous owner fawked it all up.

If you need to cut into wiring and make new connections, solder them and cover them with heat shrink or at least use good crimp type connectors. Tie wrap your work so there's strain relief. Dielectric grease is also your friend.

Good luck...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Without looking at a wiring schematic, my guess is that the cooling fan system works like this:
You have a fused circuit, a fan relay, temp sensor, and a couple of cooling fans that are known good. The previous owner probably bypassed the temp sensor with a manual switch.

If you've wired it all back to stock:
There's a relay that's connected to the temp sensor. When the sensor gets to a set temperature, it either opens up a circuit or closes it. You can check it by putting a meter across the two leads on the sensor, with the bike cold and engine not running, ignition switch set to off. Repeat the test when the desired temp is reached, engine not running, ignition switch set to off. One test should show close to zero ohms, one test should show no connectivity through the sensor (infinity). If the results of both are the same, you're probably looking at a bad sensor. If the results of both tests are good, find the 12V input to the relay and the output that goes to the fans. 12V input should always be there, once the engine temp is reached, put a meter on the output side and see if you have 12V. If you don't, you can tap on the relay with a screwdriver and see if that fixes it (replace the relay regardless). If you have 12V output at temp, trace the wiring over to the fans. It's also possible that the relay simply provides a ground for the fans and 12V is always present at the fans, alter your testing accordingly.

With any electrical problem, a good first step is a very thorough visual inspection. Look for cut wires, evidence of arcing (short circuit), corrosion, or any other type of damage. My guess is that your problem is directly related to the work that the previous owner did but keep an open mind while troubleshooting. Replacing the entire wiring harness for this problem isn't necessary unless the previous owner fawked it all up.

If you need to cut into wiring and make new connections, solder them and cover them with heat shrink or at least use good crimp type connectors. Tie wrap your work so there's strain relief. Dielectric grease is also your friend.

Good luck...
Hey boss, just went through everything again, I soldered everything hearty shrunk it, tie wrapped it the works..... i have the thermo sensor on order along with new relay, I have my fingers crossed, I'll update the thread when I get they parts in..... thanks again for those who helped, this forum is always a great source to find information and help :)

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
M1k3YD
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing