Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, Yeah, I know, it’s the particular one you ride. But is there a consensus among R1 aficionados if preferring one generation of the bike to another one? Ie nothing tops the ‘98 R1 or the 2016 R1M was a track beast, etc?

·
Super Moderator
21,661 Posts
I really liked the '02/'03 Gens. First year for fuel injection and I just loved the LED tail light it had. But, I think I would really enjoy the '15 and up R1 just as much.

·
Registered
964 Posts
02-03 here is one of my favorites. Lower end power than the 04-08. Looks awesome to this day.

04-06 is the best looking machine ever produced though. I can still stare at mine and just be in awe of its sexiness.

Newer ones are definitely superior bikes though. It’s the way life goes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
02-03 here is one of my favorites. Lower end power than the 04-08. Looks awesome to this day.

04-06 is the best looking machine ever produced though. I can still stare at mine and just be in awe of its sexiness.

Newer ones are definitely superior bikes though. It’s the way life goes.
Absolutely agree with that statement. It does have some quirks and bugs that have to be tuned and modded out though as I own an 06. But the 15+ is so sexy too. And the modern technology and power is just hard to ignore. If I had the extra cash I would buy a new R1M in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased an 09 as my second R1. My favorite looking however is the 07-08 those headlights with the intake ports look so mean and amazing!

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's a toss up between the 04-06 and 07-08 bikes for me. Based solely on looks. these 2 gens are some of the sexiest bikes ever made imo. I think the colors for 04-06 were all great, especially the racing throwback!! They had that all black raven, the yamaha blue was stunning, and the red had a nice deep shade to it.

But the intake ports and side fairing changes in 07 look awesome. The black and red 07 is so hot!! The black and grey 07 is pretty sleek too. But red in 08 is weird looking to me, and I don't really like either yr's blue. But...the 07-08 really

·
Registered
119 Posts
Only ever ridden a 99 model and currently own the 03 which I think is an awesome machine,though I do intend to upgrade next year to a 15/16 model.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had two ‘01s, an ‘02, an ‘06 and currently ride an ‘07. My favorite one hands down was actually a world superbike prepped ‘97 YZF 750R. Traveling at 55mph in 5th gear you could roll on the throttle and it would rip your arms off. Would power wheelie in 3rd gear. Fastest bike I’ve ever owned out of approx 20 liter bikes. But I am really enjoying my (slightly) modified ‘07 although it’s a bit of a drag to have to wait until 10 grand to hit the power band. Side note: does anyone have any recommendations as to where to purchase the best aftermarket race replica fairings? Leaning towards the Graves/Monster Energy ones from Fairingmaster but have heard mixed reviews. Thanks in advance.

·
R1.. The fast kind
813 Posts
Without knowing so much about the R1s post -09 i'd say the 04-06.
Switching from -99 to a -05 was kind of a gamechanger.
Sudenly i had a literbike feeling nimble as a 600, smooth throttle, more hp and it looked good.
The only thing i changed on that bike was the number plate holder.

2007, wrecked the -05 and went for a -07, first impression was the engine, soo much power!!!
One week later i was furious, the engine cut out randomly and that on/off throttle gave me headache.

I got another -07 from the dealer....
That, after a week, turned out had the same flaws...
Dealer did what they could but problem was Yamaha...

Now 12 years later with a flashed ECU, ported cylinderhead and a bunch of other mods the bike is all i wanted from the begining :p

·
Just Me.
229 Posts
The 2028 - ('32) model does it for me. The styling is perfect. I don't know how they continue to be this imaginative at this stage in the game. The engine, the power it produces, and the torque - wow, simply wow. It's amzaing. Who would have ever thought an everyday skilled rider could effectively use 222 hp and 88 ft*lbs. worth of torque stuffed into a motorcycle that weighs 399 lbs. This thing is absolutely rediculous. I like how they have the carbon fiber integrated eye lids that close with a switch of a button so people don't have to tape up their lights anymore - same with the tail and signals. Beautiful. It's like some intern who worked on the '08 YZF-R1 model got a chance to show the highers ups at Yamaha what creativity they had sitting in the crates. And, it has a stock 200/60 tire on it. Yamaha ain't playing anymore. Sure, back in the late teens Marquez and Honda dominated the grid, but as you see from the last 3 years, Yamaha is back with it presence on the podium all the damn time snatching championship after championship. It's a reason why.

...and that exhaust design with the notes it produces... man, it's like orgasm after orgasm while riding that thing.

I can't possible see how they can top this, but people have asked the same question about previous models.

·
Become one with THE ONE.
569 Posts
99R1 was awesome after suspension modification. 02 R1 got my vote. It was the best handling bike out the box. Throttle response was spot on, bike turned and handled like a 600 and the most impressive was feed back. I could feel exactly when the front started to slide and it can be correctly by cracked open more throttle to keep it composed during cornering. It was the bike I felt the throttle connected directly to the rear wheel. I did had problem with the transmission. It went back to Yamaha dealer twice, replaced transmission but problem remain. I totaled it out of turn two at Big Willow so the issue never resulted. It was the bike I break-in with full throttle. A topic for another discussion...

·
Registered
964 Posts
The 2028 - ('32) model does it for me. The styling is perfect. I don't know how they continue to be this imaginative at this stage in the game. The engine, the power it produces, and the torque - wow, simply wow. It's amzaing. Who would have ever thought an everyday skilled rider could effectively use 222 hp and 88 ft*lbs. worth of torque stuffed into a motorcycle that weighs 399 lbs. This thing is absolutely rediculous. I like how they have the carbon fiber integrated eye lids that close with a switch of a button so people don't have to tape up their lights anymore - same with the tail and signals. Beautiful. It's like some intern who worked on the '08 YZF-R1 model got a chance to show the highers ups at Yamaha what creativity they had sitting in the crates. And, it has a stock 200/60 tire on it. Yamaha ain't playing anymore. Sure, back in the late teens Marquez and Honda dominated the grid, but as you see from the last 3 years, Yamaha is back with it presence on the podium all the damn time snatching championship after championship. It's a reason why.

...and that exhaust design with the notes it produces... man, it's like orgasm after orgasm while riding that thing.

I can't possible see how they can top this, but people have asked the same question about previous models.
Ha ha. Wish list?

·
Registered
3 Posts
04-06 Gen for me. 06 if you want that factory slipper. the 5 valve motor makes so much clean power once mapped, it rides like a 600 and goes like the 1k it is.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts