Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm out riding today, in the beautiful weather of course, but I noticed that my handling is off a little.... the bike feels softer than usual in the corners...

So I get home and do some other stuff, and then I remembered how my bike was handling. So I go out to the garage, put the bike on the stands and check my tire pressure...

27.5 rear..... why that is pretty friggin' unusual since a couple of days ago I just checked it at 38. Rotate the tire a little bit and there it is..... a damn nail :machinegu :mad: :boom :mad:

This is the second time this shit has happened to me. And I'm pissed. Of course there is construction and other crap going on all over the place. But dammit this is BS.

Oh yeah, did I mention I just got this tire a few weeks ago? Grrrr.

So now I'm gonna go to the shop and see what kinda deal I can get for a new rear.

I hoping they'll be nice cause right now I'm mad enough to kill.

·
Farkin' hero blobs!
1,272 Posts
Sorry bout that. Good luck with the new tire. Doesn't construction people have to take responsibility for their stuff?

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I ended up sticking on a Metzeler MEZ1 rear, 190/50. Wasn't my first choice, or second, (190 or 180 Sportec M1) but it'll do. The only other Metzeler sport tire my dealer had was a 200 Sportec, I've done that size before and I didn't like it.... could lean over hella far but it felt funny.
So I'll see how it turns out, I don't know much about this tire but according to Metzeler's website it's in the same category as the Sportecs and others.

happy trails!

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
pft... what ya going to do with the old tire? Hell, I would just patch it and use it :)

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the mechanic is gonna patch it tomorrow and I'm gonna pick it up, so I'll have an extra tire for a rainy day...... or another nail.....:mad:

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just noticed that my dealer sold me the race compund version of the MEZ1. It's stamped 'RACING" in red letters on the side wall... checked out Metzeler's website and sho 'nuff it's the racing version. They don't make it in 190/50 anymore.

Maybe this will turn out okay after all. Tire was $260 retail, they sold it to me for $169 OTD wheel on the bike.

It's time to ride! Well in the morning that is....:rock

·
Farkin' hero blobs!
1,272 Posts
lil R! said:
may be in sweden , but again you can sue them for more here
True:) This country is soon out the window:(

·
Ride it like you stole it!!!
326 Posts
RUFFSTUFF said:
And why is it always the rear tire that gets the nail? Wasn't like I was doing wheelies past Home Depot!
I have been told that it is always the rear tire, because the front hits the nail/screw and flicks it up to go through the rear... a nail/screw laying flat on the road usually won't go through a tire.

JMR

·
Suicide Kings Racing
2,192 Posts
i'm with the guy asking about your reg. tire pressure, on the track, i'm at around 29, on the street i'm really never higher than 31.

is there any benefits we should know about running the rear at 38 ( besides picking up shiney objects!)

ps. do you like the mirror covers?

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I usually run 36/36 but I bumped it to 38 rear to see how it handles, or if there was any difference....
I heard that a higher pressure can get you better mileage, and if I ever need a lower pressure for agressive riding I can always lower it.
Just a little trial and error.

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sam56n said:
i'm with the guy asking about your reg. tire pressure, on the track, i'm at around 29, on the street i'm really never higher than 31.

is there any benefits we should know about running the rear at 38 ( besides picking up shiney objects!)

ps. do you like the mirror covers?

Haven't gotten them yet!
Where's my dam mailman!?!

BTW, I got a shiny object for ya!:finger

1 - 18 of 18 Posts