Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For several weeks now I've been looking for a solution to the riding position of my 2002 r1. I got the bike this summer from the estate of an unfortunate 41 year old who passed away after being stricken by a heart attack. While the ergos on the bike are excellent for track day and highspeeds, it is quite uncomfortable for daily riding which is most of what I use the bike for.

No manufactuer makes a zero degree bar. Heli's are steel, a more resonant material than aluminum and with the vibration harmonics at 4000-5000 RPM I thought these would not be all that good, besides, more width is not anything I really want.

I treid Suzuki GSXR peduncular mount clipons. These have a 5/8 inch rise above the stock pieces and an internal dampening device that is supposed to aid in the reduction of vibration. Unfortunately they have the same downward angle as the R1. I cut them and rewelded them at zero and while the looks are quite degraded, comfort increased dramatically. Vibration dampening was not stellar. These bars have no bar end, just that interal system I mentioned before.

By the way a zero degree bar wil droop down after it is rotated back to produce some pullback. Most bikes have about 40 degrees from an imaginary line connecting the tops of the fork tubes.

Ferrachi makes these "risers", it is just a removable bar clipon with about 2 degrees of droop. The 900SS model has a 50mm large hole that fits out bikes. They also make 916 and MV types but those are both bigger. For bars I chose the carbon fiber Lockhart-Phillips. This material accepts little resonance because of its porosity and should reduce vibration significantly.

This weekend I will install this new set up and remove the angle modified Suzuki parts. Next week I'll report.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well the new are not good. The Ferrachi bar risers are 49.5 mm ID so it is a bit difficult to slide them over the fork tubes. Ducati uses hydraulic clutch while the R1 uses cable. The cable ratchet interferes with the bar perch requiring moving the mounting position 3/4 of an inch or so outward.

The factory bars are solid except near the end. The Suzuki bars I tried are hollow and pod mounted. While they are more comfortable (after I cut them and rewelded themn at O degrees) they do resonate much better with the engine, a nasty condition bad enoug with the much more solid stock bars and horrible with the Suzuki pieces.

Conclusion: I am just going to get myslef down on the tank, bend my elbows more and say that this is a sportbike thatI did not buy it for compfort.

·
see you at the races and ride
3,906 Posts
I found that a throttle lock and some heavy bar ends fixed all my bar related problems, now my nuts are the limiting factor. 02 bars are panned by all the testers because of the excessive droop and many have said to use the 01 r1 parts. Have you seen the TBR adjustable clip-ons, they are trick.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TBR? Do you have a link? I have seen the the Heli, but made out of iron (a better resonator) and with added width, they' off my list. There is also european set sold by Spiegler that comes with cables. Have you seen those?

I have notced that the '01 baes are attached a bit more to the side making them closer to the rider.

I took thr bike on a ride to the north Georgia mountains for the first time yesterday. Put a total of about 300 miles. My familiarity with the bikes's gears/power, brakes and handling still needs development. I could no go as fast in the curves as with my previous bike (a Buell). Did notice that with my arms extended to be as erect as possible leverage on the bars is poor making it more difficult to turn and stay in line. I tend to do this because othewise I cannot see forward due to helmet intrefernce. This bike is excellent in the sweepers with better power and handling but the Buell was more flickable on the tight corners.

The footpegs are not directly under the spine so I can't relieve back stress and that rising seat leaves no other spot except the ball busting one. When you combine these issues with the buzziest bars in the industry I am not sure this bike is good for much more than short fast rides.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts