Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I ride a zx-10.
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just changed the oil and it was the most ffrustrating thing I have ever had to do (not really). I have TWO, count em TWO filter wrenches and neither of them fit in between the pipes, hose and filter. Anyone know of any decent ones and where I can get it tomorrow? Also, when I was putting the filter on today, my stupid wrench made a small indent on the filter. I tightened it with my hand as best i could (not very well) and then i got a few more twists with the crappy filter wrench before it started to dent a little, should I do another oil change tomorrow with a new filter and the correct filter tool to make it tighter or should I trust this one? Will this cause a problem for oil flow?:boom

·
My other bike is your sister
7,420 Posts
Dude.....I got my socket style at autozone for like $8 I think.....it's the type that fits over the end of the oil filter like a large socket....works great, fits in between the filter and the headers no sweat.

Good luck!

·
Yamama R1
766 Posts
I will admit the first time you change oil you will need a wrench to get it off.After that all you need do is hand tighten them and remove them by hand from then on.I'm on my third oil change doing that on my r1 and have always done this on all my vehicles with no problems.Umm I do have strong hands though!:blush

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
it was s regular yamaha filter, the dealer had a bunch left over from the honda filters they sold so everytime i bought they would throw one in.

·
Premium Member
23,060 Posts
You should always hand tighten a filter back on, never use a wrench...one of two things a K&N filter is good for, a nut on the end to drive off with, the other is a hole in that nut for safety wire for track use!

·
Custom User Title
1,438 Posts
I always use K&N filters on everything because (1) I like them (2) they have a nut on the end to remove them. Its the little things in life.....

·
Always getting faster...
1,205 Posts
I use a strap wrench which works pretty well. You can't get a ton of torque on it, but like some people said, you really don't need much for the filter anyway. The strap is thin enough to fit without much trouble.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts