Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
it's under my voodoo
723 Posts
I have about 900 miles on them, they are great in the canyons. they are really responsive, turn in is great on the taller 190 rear.. I feel pretty confident with them. Nothing to complain about here :)

·
black = the color of my r1
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
alright, the tire pressure i ran first was 26/28 but i had to adjust to 27/28 cuz the rear tire was a slipping a touch

i ride B group with ease but not the fastest there but at a faster pace then others

Now on to the tire after finding a good tire pressure, i kept going faster and faster into the corners (not my imagination but actually going faster)
they held out well under the torque of first gear at 11k rpm and accelerating hard out of the corner leaned over
they held really well... very sticky...
however this does mean i wont be able to gauge how many miles they last on the street due to the trackday wear....
and yes paytheon, power ones are a better tire, but they exceed my current needs
let me know if you have any other questions, the track was streets of willows
alright now that i have had time to think, the tires held the road very well but gum'ed up just as good.... my top tach (ish) was around 12k in second gear i cant say what speed that was cuz the speedo was taped off (stock gearing if you know where to find it) i did take the trackdaz academy and i was prolly the fastest out there (other then the instructors) with all said and done, i would FOR SURE purchase these tires again
so hardracing.com when i find the time to enjoy these tires a little more, you may have to mail out another set of tires for me :fact

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
alright now that i have had time to think, the tires held the road very well but gum'ed up just as good.... my top tach (ish) was around 12k in second gear i cant say what speed that was cuz the speedo was taped off (stock gearing if you know where to find it) i did take the trackdaz academy and i was prolly the fastest out there (other then the instructors) with all said and done, i would FOR SURE purchase these tires again
so hardracing.com when i find the time to enjoy these tires a little more, you may have to mail out another set of tires for me :fact

Excellent.

·
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I've got the pure's on my 09---a shit ton better than the donecraps that came stock. Before I put them on I did kinda weigh them.. the weighed the same as my worn out dunlops..well which is good...
anyways steering is quickened up a bit-- as is always with "new tires"- whats good is the feed back- the on road compliance of these cannot be touched- they absorb bumps very well without feeling smushy- I ran 34 rear 35 front psi's- Rain slick roads still offered allot of corner and braking grip. Stability and is good too- especially in bumpy coners.... Full left to full right transitions were quikened over the stock dunflops( im not sure what yamaha was thinkin when the equiped those-...maybe they were drinkin,....)
Previosly I wasn't a fan of the 2ct's as they felt slugish when compared the the regular powers despite having more grip. The 2 ct's were heavy- 'an it felt like it .. the carcas was allot stiffer too... bumpy tire...no thanks...I was about to go back to bridgstone when the Pure's showed up... well these here new fangled pure's are the cats ass... I'd give them an edge over the diablo IIIs( which I LOVED!!!) for quicker steering and performance in the wet. Fuhgehtabout the 2ct's too AANND hey... Price is better too.
I've got 750 miles on it so far- look great still- roads varied from chip seal ( which is very hard on tires) concrete to new asphalt- these tires wear good and grip well on anything within reason- but then again so do allot of other tires,
I recomend these for the 09-10 especially if you're looking for a an overall performance improvment in many areas- I check back in when I break the 1.5k mark-- Im also in a new state now too as a of a few weeks ago--no more Arkansas

·
Back on The Horse!
210 Posts
I was thinking of getting these particular tires and have been doing a lot of research on them. After reading this review and the one posted in it (link) I'm sold and will definately be swapping out the Dunslops for a set of these. I transitioned from the stock Dunslops on my 08 R6S to 2CT's and bye bye chicken strips - enough said. I'm sure the newer more improved Michelin's won't dissapoint. Although I doubt I will get the same mileage out of em on the 1 as I'm getting on the 6 (5k in on the 6 and looks like at least 3k left). Damn rear tire on the 1 is at 3/32" and I've only got 1600 miles on it. Guessing after 2500 it will be toasted. I'll be happy if I get 5000 out of the Power Pure rear tire on the 1. I guess only time will tell. :dundun:

·
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
i still have alot of tread left, but my bike is now used mostly for the tracks so i really cant tell you how long they will last... only thing i have to say is that they provide the traction needed for the track with ease.... best of luck and i hope they are as rewarding to you as they were for me

·
SO FAST SO CLEAN
9,703 Posts
I too use Power Pures, but for a whole different purpose than most. Here in the Pacific Northwest it rains alot. Quite often we have to track or race in rain and shower. In rain where the track is soak and wet I will run Power One rains. Normally that's enough...till the track starts to dry to the point you can't hunt puddles on the track anymore. Those times where you get small showers and then it turns dry, using rain tires is out of the question being as you can burn a set up in as little as 5 laps if the track isn't wet. At 400 dollar set that's out of the question. The solution: Power Pures. They work great on both dry and semi-wet tracks at speed. You definately have to manage the pressures while running them, depending upon the wet/dry condition of the track, but overall they are a great inbetween solution.

·
Back on The Horse!
210 Posts
Cool, thanks for the added opinions guys. I don't know if I will track the r1 as it was expensive and don't want to increase my chances of binning it. Might do so with the 6 though if I can afford to keep it! :)

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I was thinking of getting these particular tires and have been doing a lot of research on them. After reading this review and the one posted in it (link) I'm sold and will definately be swapping out the Dunslops for a set of these. I transitioned from the stock Dunslops on my 08 R6S to 2CT's and bye bye chicken strips - enough said. I'm sure the newer more improved Michelin's won't dissapoint. Although I doubt I will get the same mileage out of em on the 1 as I'm getting on the 6 (5k in on the 6 and looks like at least 3k left). Damn rear tire on the 1 is at 3/32" and I've only got 1600 miles on it. Guessing after 2500 it will be toasted. I'll be happy if I get 5000 out of the Power Pure rear tire on the 1. I guess only time will tell. :dundun:

Most customer who we sold PURE's to that have put on some good mileage so far have reported 5-6000 miles, and still plenty tread left.

That's pretty good for a tire of this caliber. :fact

·
Back on The Horse!
210 Posts
^^Wow, thats more impressive than I thought it would be. I figured with the r1's power it would be killed AT 5k, not last longer. Guess the stock D210's are just that soft of a tire:saw:.

This is very re-assuring.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just switched from the pilot power 2ct to the power pure. The softer compound power pure is awesome when warm, but f*cking sketchy when cold. U-turns when it's cold in the morning are bad news. When i tracked the 2ct at Buttonwillow I noticed that I was significantly quicker on cold tires than those are racing slicks. The harder compound warms up quicker and holds greater lateral loads at lower temperatures. So, my take on the power pure: good for canyon carving (haven't tracked them yet), dangerous for commuting/low tire temperature riding.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I just switched from the pilot power 2ct to the power pure. The softer compound power pure is awesome when warm, but f*cking sketchy when cold. U-turns when it's cold in the morning are bad news. When i tracked the 2ct at Buttonwillow I noticed that I was significantly quicker on cold tires than those are racing slicks. The harder compound warms up quicker and holds greater lateral loads at lower temperatures. So, my take on the power pure: good for canyon carving (haven't tracked them yet), dangerous for commuting/low tire temperature riding.

Strange.

We all use them on our street bikes for past 18 months.
All of us came from 2CT, and Power before that.

Hot, Warm, Cold, doesn't matter, we all love the Power PURE.

It's been low 30's - 40's in the morning here recently, no issues.
Of course, ANY Tire is sketch at those temps. :fact

But, that is to be expected.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I just switched to the Pures myself. Lots more feel than the Q2s I had been running. The Dunlops were great when warm but made me a little nervous when cold and wet. No issues with the Pure. Have about 500 road commute miles and they still look new.

·
Now CROSS-PLANE!!!!!
1,283 Posts
I just switched to the Pures myself. Lots more feel than the Q2s I had been running. The Dunlops were great when warm but made me a little nervous when cold and wet. No issues with the Pure. Have about 500 road commute miles and they still look new.
what tire pressure are you running on them?

·
Registered
629 Posts
what tire pressure are you running on them?
Running about 35/36 rear and 32/33 front. I started with 36f and 36r but the front seemed a little loose. Could have been just different tire profile from the Q2 but I lowered the front pressure and it seems much better.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts