Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok OK OK!!! Enough people telling me to get a 250 so let me make myself clear.

I have experience riding cr125's and 250's. I know how bikes operate and how they feel. Now that I am going street, i want to know what 600cc bike would do me best. Here are the ones i have looked at:

Yamaha r6
Kawasaki zx-6r (636)
Honda f4i

In your all's expert R1 opinion, which bike would best suit me as an intermediate bike to get accustomed to street riding on. Any additional recommendations outside of the three are more than welcome.

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
Most likely none of them, but you don't want to hear that. So sit tight till someone comes along and tells you what you want to hear.

www.beginnerbikes.com

·
relaxing
14,125 Posts
Do a search. its been talked to death extensively.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes there have been many discussions, however, most of the discussions are geared towards people with no riding experience period. Most of the discussions recommend learning on a dirt bike which I have already done. Now what is the next step.....

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
Osyris said:
Yes there have been many discussions, however, most of the discussions are geared towards people with no riding experience period. Most of the discussions recommend learning on a dirt bike which I have already done. Now what is the next step.....
The next step is your first street bike. I recommend either a Ninja EX250 or EX500, preferably the 250, unless you're over 200 lbs, or a Suzuki GS 500. Seek as much formal rider training as you can possibly get. Start small, move up in displacement and power incrementally.

·
Formley known as slutty
5,183 Posts
start here and work your way up....

chicks dig a live dood on a dumb bike more than a dead dood on a "badass crotchrocket"

Attachments

·
Formley known as slutty
5,183 Posts
and if you dont know this is one of the goats custom scoots. it will do like 38 all toped out

·
Speed is good.
1,940 Posts
slutty22 said:
start here and work your way up....

chicks dig a live dood on a dumb bike more than a dead dood on a "badass crotchrocket"
LMAO !! Looks like bike from Dumb and Dumber.

·
Do or do not, there is no try
2,671 Posts
Osyris said:
Blah Blah Blah I know more than any of you Blah Blah Blah so just tell me to go buy new 600 as a first bike and I'll get out of your hair. Blah Blah Blah
Another Statistic

:beer

·
Sorry, thought you could ride.
112 Posts
The Kawi's for sure are the best bet, Either the 250 Ninja or the EX500 would be good, worse case get an old Honda 500 Interceptor. Good bike to start with. Just not made any more, but that makes it attractive as it would be cheap to purchase. Although I found an '89 EX500 at the dump with a blown headgasket, that I fixed up for nothing, and the bike cost me $50. So it's all relative to your needs as well as you're courage to do the right thing, instead of the excited dumb thing.

Good luck on your decision.

- Pilot

·
Registered
654 Posts
Okay I'm just gonna be honest with you, get yourself a 600. Any of the ones you listed are excellent bikes. But just remember to take it easy because modern day 600 pack some serious punch, expecially to a beginner. Why am I recomending a 600? Well because I was once where you are. Everyone told me to start on a 250 but I didn't wanna go through the hassle of buying/insuring/registering a bike that I knew that I'd get tired of in a month. I started on an old 99 cbr 600 f4 and I'm absolutely confident that it was the right decision. 600s are friendly enough to learn on (when you do it in a responsible manner) yet still have enough power to keep you from getting bored with it. Don't get discouraged by what some of the guys are telling you, their intentions are good but nobody knows you better than you, so just do what you know is right for your situation. Good luck.

btw, I don't know why everybody always advices novices to get 250s when the majority of us started on 600s. :dunno

·
Registered
654 Posts
Eyespy said:
Start small, move up in displacement and power incrementally.
although I understand where eyespy is coming from, you should take into consideration the amount of money that you would be squandering by going from a 250->600->-750->R1. That adds up to some serious cash.

The best advice I can give is to get yourself an r6 and get accustomed to it. Don't worry about power, the r6 has plenty enough to keep you on guard for years. :thumbup

·
Where did I leave my car?
152 Posts
Personally I think a "learning bike" should be one that you are not scared to drop. We all want a bike we can *just* afford (or in many cases we can't really afford but get anyway) and then are extra cautious not to scratch or drop them.

The good thing about getting a smaller cheaper 250 is that you can thrash it around, get experimental, practice emergency maneuvers and slow speed turning without worrying *too* much about laying it down.

Personally I have always bought what I can *just* afford and then treat the bike like dropping it would mean triggering a nuclear explosion. In hindsight I should have first bought a shoddy 250 and thrashed around and experimented (safely of course).

I'm not talking about doing monos or endos (on a 250 its an extra challenge ;) but more rudimentary things like slamming on the brakes in the car park or doing a really tight turn as slow as possible with both feet off the ground etc....

My 2 cents.

·
Formley known as slutty
5,183 Posts
KevinC said:
you should take into consideration the amount of money that you would be squandering by going from a 250->600->-750->R1. That adds up to some serious cash.

and how serious of cash does a casket and headstone and a funeral cost:thumbup

Hey man you should save money on gear to in replacement of jacket = wife beater, boots = sandles (perferably flip flops) and for a helmet ---> this will save you big cash buy a visor and flip it backwards and upsidedown....not only does it protect your noggin but gives you a spoiler effect as to ride out whellies longer.....

The reason we rag so much over this topic is because where the ones who have had friends on a 600 for the first time and are now spending the rest of their live on 4 wheels and a chair . just my .2

hell man I learned to ride on a fj 1200 when I was 17.... my now 26 year old self would drag me off the bike and beat some sense in me till my nose bled.

but try telling anyone under 20 that they dont live forever

·
smooth=fast
1,136 Posts
I spent 3 yr on my YZF600R had a Honda 650 custom b4 that. Have riden many smaller bikes thru the years. First summer on the 600R was a new learning curve. Last year went to 4 track days. This year went to first trackday on the R1. Still respecting the learning curve. I had 1 lowspeed lowside - cost me about $200 to learn to always keep your mind on what you are doing. Leave work/at work...... cheep lesson come to think... For you it you can stay with a learning curve on a 600 = ok. Maybe get an older one that wont cost to drop. Plan for the new R6/R1 for '05. I think time-in-seat on any bike is applicable to cumulative (sp?) experience. Most dirt-bike types have had that gone-down experience needed to get you smart about how you ride. Look at the 600's as a 4th year bike.....know your limits/ride smooth/ride safe/have fun.

·
190 rear section heaven !
1,997 Posts
Just get what you want, you probably will anyway....

I started on a 600cc and nearly killed myself three times and I know a guy who started on an R1 and has been fine....

It's just down to how you want to gain your experience:

Safe or dangerous

You can learn safe on an R1 if you are sensible but like most who travel that path the temptation to twist it ever further will be your undoing.

The choice is yours........

Go for a 600 and take it steady.

·
450 coming shortly...
7,696 Posts
I spent 4 years on my CBR 250rr before moving upto a bigger bike:fact

You'll have plenty of time for a larger bike,although you think there's an urgent rush to get one NOW..there isnt. Start of slow,learn all the road rules propperly,get used to being on 2 wheels on public roads,and take it easy:yesnod

Just my 0.2cents
:thumbup

·
Anyone see a Honda I'm hungry
749 Posts
Osyris said:
Ok OK OK!!! Enough people telling me to get a 250 so let me make myself clear.

I have experience riding cr125's and 250's. I know how bikes operate and how they feel. Now that I am going street, i want to know what 600cc bike would do me best. Here are the ones i have looked at:

Yamaha r6
Kawasaki zx-6r (636)
Honda f4i

In your all's expert R1 opinion, which bike would best suit me as an intermediate bike to get accustomed to street riding on. Any additional recommendations outside of the three are more than welcome.
Get an '03 up R6 . Awesome bike with great handeling and power .
Get a steering Damper .
Don't put your foot down in the turns .

·
Registered
67 Posts
Given your experience with dirt bikes, I wouldn't worry too much about getting a 600. I had never ridden a dirt bike in my life and I started on a 600. After about 3 weeks I wanted more, and after 2 months I had a 929 and loved it. After a few months, I could scrape pegs, do stand ups, etc. I had that for 2 years and never dropped it. In fact I think I would of been perfectly fine starting on that 929.

The only bike I rode before buying my own 600 (02 F4) was a POS 93 katana. People told me that a new 600 would be sooo much more powerful and feel like an older 900. I remember being intimidated by the 929, but when I left the dealer with my 600 I was a little disappointed with the power. So basically I'd say get an R6 or a 600RR. Screw the 250s, you'll get bored with it pretty fast (probably before it's broken in). Plus, one of the best part about riding is riding with buddies. Once you ride with some people, you'll regret having a shitty ass slow, ugly 250. Trust me.

Best advice I can give is take a motorcycle training course, I did. That's where you can ride a 250 without being commited to it. I'm not saying that learning on a 250 is bad, it's excellent, probably the best. But to spend a couple of grand on something you're gonna get rid of fast is not too economical in my opinion. Take the course, it's probably the best thing you can do when getting started.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts