Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
GaWarrior Brotherhood
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did it...I got a wild hair last night and went to Deals Gap. At 10:15pm when I checked the Deals Gap weather forecast on my webpage it said sunny and high 50's. I sprang. I loaded up the bike last night and arrived in Robbinsville at 02:45.
Had the GAP ALL to myself for the morning and then Alvin a local showed up with his buddy. A few later, at the overlook, an FZ1 pulled up with a couple on it. I pointed to my license plate (which says FZ1) when rolled up. It was JHOP (Joe) and his wife. Very nice people. We talked for a few minutes, then each headed back down the GAP at our own pace. I finally got my knee pucks set right so they grind flat. They were getting the corners ground off because my pants are too short. It was bright, sunny and fairly warm. Still bundled up.
Sorry I didn't tell anyone ahead of time but it was purely spur of the moment.
Now I'm ready for the next time. I'm hooked still.
Eddie

·
Convention main man
13,733 Posts
:bash You sorry dog:lol You may be officially the first person to ride the Gap this year. Definately the first person I know of. (on a bike at least). Was there much sand or gravel or salt up there? Looks like we will be making a trip up there soon. Now I really can't wait.

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
:) Good job :) No pic though...

·
GaWarrior Brotherhood
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chad,
Yeah the road was in really good shape. One small spot has something whitish on it but you really didn't have to change your line to miss it so it was real good to run. I feel so guilty.
Also, I need to sign up for that track day before it is too late.
Shadow,
Sorry about no pics, like I said, it was a mad rush to load the bike that night and I was by myself so I didn't bother to bring the camera.
Next time up I'll try to give a little warning so I can have some riding company.
You guys definately PM me if you decide to make a trip soon.
Eddie

·
Convention main man
13,733 Posts
Don't worry Eddie. We will let you know if we make a trip. About Barber, you might want to go ahead and registar. They fill up sometimes. And Barber is a popular trackday. I went riding today myself. I actually rode Hwy 129........in Ga.:D Rode over Blood mountain. Awesome road.:rock It has passing lanes all the way up the mountain. And the road is nice and smooth and wide. It is a pretty fast road too.

If the Gap is in good shape now, we should have no worries whenever we make our first real trip. Thanks for the report. Good to hear it is in good shape. BTW, the two guys I rode with today are probably gonna do Barber with us in March also. You will like them, they are pretty cool.

·
Cornering Enthusiast
1,747 Posts
I would love to go!! I just don't have any idea how long it takes to ride from Houston to the Gap. And yes, I'm riding all the way. That's the good thing about my bike:crash All depends on how the $ situation is at that point I guess.

·
Convention main man
13,733 Posts
1700warrior said:
I would love to go!! I just don't have any idea how long it takes to ride from Houston to the Gap. And yes, I'm riding all the way. That's the good thing about my bike:crash All depends on how the $ situation is at that point I guess.
Hey man, did you ever get an R1? And also, have you gotten the recall done on your Warrior? My baby is just sitting in the Garage until I get the call to get her fixed.:( They are taking forever though. You should try to make it to the East Coast Convention in June. 9th-13th. Gonna be a great time. And the FZ1 forum is gonna be there too. Click at the bottom of my post for all the info. You should be able to save up the $$ by June.:D

·
DOH !
3,434 Posts
EDDDIIIEEE !!:no JK ! I couldnt have done it this time BUT I am all about spur of the moment , the weather looks awesome , trips ! I am way to broke to get track happy this year but RA on Sat . with nesba in the 2nd week of May , Chad you are coming to that one arent you ?

·
Cornering Enthusiast
1,747 Posts
Sorry ga, haven't got the One yet. Been laid off twice in the past year and a half so it's been rough. The recall parts haven't come either for the Warrior. I'm not all that concerned with it, I've got 34k miles on her and she's still kicking like new so when they arrive, they arrive. Hmmm, June you say? FZ1a, R1s...........sounds good so far!!! Wonder if I can talk the guys at rswarrior.com into going. That would be a kick azz Yamaha gathering:rock I'll let you know though. My time nowadays is spent job hunting. Majorly blows:mad:

·
DOH !
3,434 Posts
Sorry to here about your layoffs 1700 , that sux ! my brother just went back to work , he was out for 3 and 1/2 months but his new job is at a 15 % pay increase and a co. truck . Hang in there !

·
Convention main man
13,733 Posts
BKR1 said:
EDDDIIIEEE !!:no JK ! I couldnt have done it this time BUT I am all about spur of the moment , the weather looks awesome , trips ! I am way to broke to get track happy this year but RA on Sat . with nesba in the 2nd week of May , Chad you are coming to that one arent you ?
Did ya'll settle on Saturday for sure? I am in either way. Have you reserved a spot yet? If the Saturday is a definate I will go ahead and pay for mine.

·
Convention main man
13,733 Posts
1700warrior said:
Sorry ga, haven't got the One yet. Been laid off twice in the past year and a half so it's been rough. The recall parts haven't come either for the Warrior. I'm not all that concerned with it, I've got 34k miles on her and she's still kicking like new so when they arrive, they arrive. Hmmm, June you say? FZ1a, R1s...........sounds good so far!!! Wonder if I can talk the guys at rswarrior.com into going. That would be a kick azz Yamaha gathering:rock I'll let you know though. My time nowadays is spent job hunting. Majorly blows:mad:
Bummer dude. I hope you can make it though. Gonna be a great time. Let me know what you decide so I can add you to the list. 34k miles, Wow! I guess I could probably go ahead and ride mine some more then. I only have about 13k miles on it. I just would hate for the tranny to lock up:scared . I'll just keep my riding limited until I get the recall done. Mine does still run just like the day I brought it home though.:thumbup Yamaha's freaking :rock :fork

·
Convention main man
13,733 Posts
BKR1 said:
Iwill try to sign up tonite , if not maybe tom. , I will let you know right when I do .
Cool. I will sign up when I hear from you.

·
GaWarrior Brotherhood
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haven't signed up for Barber on Mar27 yet but hope to in the next couple of weeks. I might try to call them and see how many spots they have left.
Eddie

·
Cornering Enthusiast
1,747 Posts
Thanks BK and Ga. Being unemployed really blows and the market in Houston at the moment sucks. Drafting and IT jobs are nill here. So I just do job hunting in the mornings and ride in the afternoons.....LOL Hey ga, don't feel bad about the mileage, yours isn't bad. I know a guy that bought an '02 and only has about 1200 miles on it. What a waste....LOL If all goes well I'll head out to the Dragon with you guys and drop peg in the twisties:rock I'm on my 3rd set of peg ends:lol

·
Convention main man
13,733 Posts
1700warrior said:
Thanks BK and Ga. Being unemployed really blows and the market in Houston at the moment sucks. Drafting and IT jobs are nill here. So I just do job hunting in the mornings and ride in the afternoons.....LOL Hey ga, don't feel bad about the mileage, yours isn't bad. I know a guy that bought an '02 and only has about 1200 miles on it. What a waste....LOL If all goes well I'll head out to the Dragon with you guys and drop peg in the twisties:rock I'm on my 3rd set of peg ends:lol
Sweet! It would be cool if you joined us. Just let me know when you know if you are gonna be able to make it for sure. I have an idea about the job, move to Atlanta.:D I bet you could find something here. And you would be so close to the good twisties. And some Warriors around here too. If you know the guy "Stilleto" on the RSWArrior forum, he just got a FZ1 and is gonna be at the Gap with the FZ1 guys in June. He lives here in Atlanta too.

·
GaWarrior Brotherhood
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok,
I bit the bullet and signed up for the Barber Trackday march 27.
Now I need to get some decent tires on the Honda so you R1's don't leave me too far behind.
:D

·
Convention main man
13,733 Posts
2nd time said:
Ok,
I bit the bullet and signed up for the Barber Trackday march 27.
Now I need to get some decent tires on the Honda so you R1's don't leave me too far behind.
:D
:jump :jump Whaaahooo!! Gonna be a blast! You might as well go ahead and sign up for Road Atlanta while you are at it.:D May 22nd. I'll PM you some good info on tires.:thumbup

1 - 19 of 19 Posts