Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
[VET HNTR] Can Haz Teh Win?
2008 YZF-R1
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I pull my R1 out of the garage this morning start it up and let it warm up for a couple of minutes and head out to work like any other day. I'm cruising down Imperial Highway (about 4 miles from my house) and was about to jump onto the 91 West when some dude gets next to me and tells me that my rear tire is completely flat. I pulled over and sure enough he was right.

It scared me a little that I was unable to tell that it was flat. I usually take freeway on ramps a little aggressive so I could have (probably would have) easily gone down.

I was about 50 yards from a Shell so I cruised to the gas station and filled it up with air and I have a pretty good size hole right in the dead center of the tire. I topped it off and promptly rode home. I barely made it too. It was already flat as I pulled up to my street.

Now I've got to take off the back wheel to get it fixed.

This will be my first time doing this. Do you guys have any tips or advice? Things to avoid doing, etc... would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,885 Posts
So I pull my R1 out of the garage this morning start it up and let it warm up for a couple of minutes and head out to work like any other day. I'm cruising down Imperial Highway (about 4 miles from my house) and was about to jump onto the 91 West when some dude gets next to me and tells me that my rear tire is completely flat. I pulled over and sure enough he was right.

It scared me a little that I was unable to tell that it was flat. I usually take freeway on ramps a little aggressive so I could have (probably would have) easily gone down.

I was about 50 yards from a Shell so I cruised to the gas station and filled it up with air and I have a pretty good size hole right in the dead center of the tire. I topped it off and promptly rode home. I barely made it too. It was already flat as I pulled up to my street.

Now I've got to take off the back wheel to get it fixed.

This will be my first time doing this. Do you guys have any tips or advice? Things to avoid doing, etc... would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Do a quick search. There is a great thread on this.

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
some people say you can patch, but I say just get a new tire. .02

·
2008 YZF-R1
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
some people say you can patch, but I say just get a new tire. .02
From what I understand, that's not even an option. Or at least that's what a few people have been telling me; 2 of which work at Bert's Mega Mall and 1 at Hahm Motorsports.

So apparently I have to dish out the $175 for the new tire. Which really sucks because I'm pretty broke due to Christmas.

·
My Wife eats me
134 Posts
Man it's like this. I got a screw in my tire on my R6 after putting 400 miles on the tires. I didn't want to buy a new one, so i had it patched. 4000 miles later no problems with it. I consciously took the risk of it failing on me, to save a few hundred bucks. The chances of it failing are slim, and I have never known anyone or heard of anyone who had a bad experience with a plugged tire. Having said that, the chance of it going sour is there. You have have to weigh the risks. Spend a couple of hundred dollars and feel good about it, or save the money and take the risk? Totally up to you, but if you take it easy, and have the tire plugged by someone that knows their stuff, it will more than likely work for you. At least until you can save up for new tires. Hope this helps.:dundun:

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
I had 175 miles on my ZX-10 when that happened to me....picked up a nail in my rear tire..... then 110 miles later got one in my front!

·
Go in deeper come out faster
6,403 Posts
I have never had a flat...but I'd think you would notice it at the hint of a turn unless the roads were perfectly straight.... Get a new one....think of a tire going out mid turn with your knee on the ground...then you'll wish you just spent the 170 bucks

·
Registered
489 Posts
Man it's like this. I got a screw in my tire on my R6 after putting 400 miles on the tires. I didn't want to buy a new one, so i had it patched. 4000 miles later no problems with it. I consciously took the risk of it failing on me, to save a few hundred bucks. The chances of it failing are slim, and I have never known anyone or heard of anyone who had a bad experience with a plugged tire. Having said that, the chance of it going sour is there. You have have to weigh the risks. Spend a couple of hundred dollars and feel good about it, or save the money and take the risk? Totally up to you, but if you take it easy, and have the tire plugged by someone that knows their stuff, it will more than likely work for you. At least until you can save up for new tires. Hope this helps.:dundun:
:stpd:

·
Throw Some D's On It
8,779 Posts
My .02 get a new tire.

·
2008 YZF-R1
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I ended up getting a new tire. I even dropped the coin to get the Michelin Pilot Power 2 CT Dual Compound Rear Tire. I got a few other things too! :)

I ended up getting a fender eliminator kit, flush mounts, race stand, smoked helmet visor, chain degreaser, chain lube, and a chain brush.

It's like a disease... I couldn't stop buying things... I reasoned with myself by thinking that I would have gotten this stuff eventually anyway. I also took of the rear pegs and these mods made a world of difference in looks!

Now I'm going to break in my new rear tire in a little while by cruising to Cook's Corner all the way down Santiago Canyon! I can't wait for that!!!

·
2008 YZF-R1
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,260 Posts
the thing im wondering, its shows you have savi ranch meets at 12, why arent you there:) ? and im gonna have to meet up with you sometime! im right down imperial

·
2008 YZF-R1
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the thing im wondering, its shows you have savi ranch meets at 12, why arent you there:) ? and im gonna have to meet up with you sometime! im right down imperial
LOL Yeah, I met up a little late this past Sunday! We cruised down to Cook's Corner. I had to break in my new rear tire!

Anytime you want to go cruising, I'm down. I know of a few good places.

• Carbon Canyon
  • Santiago Canyon
  • Ortega Canyon

I'm Ricky, by the way.

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
I?ve had about 10-15 tires plugged and they have all held-up very well. I use all my tires to the end! All the plugs were on the back & I would never plug a front. It?s true you do take a risk plugging a tire but I think it?s a calculated, minimal one at that. I live a few miles away from you and I went to this place last time for the plug. They are on the corner of Manhattan beach Blvd & Inglewood Ave. They charge $5- to plug a tire.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.