Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm waiting paitently for my 04 R1. I got word that it's on the truck and I should be getting it within 2 to 3 weeks. My last bike was a 2000 Suzuki Katana 600 that I owned for 4 years. I know this is a big upgrade from a Katana so I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. All posts would be greatly appreciated.

:hellobye :hellobye

·
Registered
85 Posts
I went from a 96 cbr 900 to a 99 R1. Biggest advice---be gentle with the throttle, especially when your cranked over until you get used to the power delivery. And dont let anyone sucker you into racing/wheeling/etc until you're ready. The R1 is forgiving if you repsect it and wickedly fast at the same time. Just dont ham fist it. Also check out one of the best motorcycling books ever, a twist of the wrist two. Lots of good stuff that saved my ass more than once.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice on the throttle delivery. I'll make sure I take my time with it. Don't worry about me getting suckered into racing or wheeling. I just don't have the balls to be pulling those type of tricks. Besides I'm a married man with 2 kids. If I get caught racing or pulling wheelies I can forget about my R1. My wife would have a for sale sign on it really quickly.
:eek:

I placed my order for the book this morning. I'll be reading it the first day it comes in. Just curious how the book saved yours ass. :butt

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,983 Posts
mrheavydee95 said:
Besides I'm a married man with 2 kids. If I get caught racing or pulling wheelies I can forget about my R1. My wife would have a for sale sign on it really quickly.
4 years of riding experience you are definitely ready..

Current spec literbikes are pussycats until twisted hard.. things really dont get power crazy until you break 8,000 rpm..

Up until that point just enjoy the additional torque, stay in a higher gear than normal until you adjust to the additional HP and appreciate the fact you dont have to rev all through the gearbox when its time to go..

Instead of clicking down and twisting.. now all you have to do is twist..

Welcome to club!

·
Registered
23 Posts
joerocket_1 said:
I went from a 96 cbr 900 to a 99 R1. Biggest advice---be gentle with the throttle, especially when your cranked over until you get used to the power delivery. And dont let anyone sucker you into racing/wheeling/etc until you're ready. The R1 is forgiving if you repsect it and wickedly fast at the same time. Just dont ham fist it. Also check out one of the best motorcycling books ever, a twist of the wrist two. Lots of good stuff that saved my ass more than once.
Have done it same way and it's really big difrence between Blade 96 and R1 99.:rock

·
Registered
23 Posts
mrheavydee95 said:
Thanks for the advice on the throttle delivery. I'll make sure I take my time with it. Don't worry about me getting suckered into racing or wheeling. I just don't have the balls to be pulling those type of tricks. Besides I'm a married man with 2 kids. If I get caught racing or pulling wheelies I can forget about my R1. My wife would have a for sale sign on it really quickly.
:eek:

I placed my order for the book this morning. I'll be reading it the first day it comes in. Just curious how the book saved yours ass. :butt
So first have a good insurance for your bike and you of course too. :thumbup Then buy good overall and hard helmet and gloves :finger . Drive at first carefully and it will come, it's really bigger difference than you can imkagine, but if you will take it easy R1 will forgive you more than your wife :finger It would be best for you to drive for example until 8.000 rpm till you will get to know how to use the weapon like R1 is.

Good luck.

:fork R1 RULEZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

·
HighRider
699 Posts
I jumped from a zx-6 to the R1, fun as hell!!! Just remember the pull on this bike is crazy, watch the throttle or you'll be sitting on your arse. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders anyway and enough experience. Have fun ride well.

·
I should be riding
628 Posts
mrheavydee95 said:
Besides I'm a married man with 2 kids. If I get caught racing or pulling wheelies I can forget about my R1.

Have you ever done a wheelie before on the Tuna?
As everyone says lay off the throttle in the beginning.
I only ask because the R1 will bring up the front wheel even if you don't plan to on 75% throttle.
Since you are not a new rider, this is the only suggestion I have.

·
190 rear section heaven !
1,997 Posts
Be very Fvcking carefull with your right hand my friend...

And that doesn't mean not getting caught bashing your Bishop !

Enjoy....

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Never pulled a wheelie in my life and don't plan to (at least not on purpose). :p The last thing I need is to pull that front end up, and wreck my R1. Not worried about bodily injury if I fall because either way my ass would be grass from the asphalt or when the wifey finds out. :boom :boom

Sounds like the consensus is to be careful with is the throttle and enjoy the ride. OH man!!! just talking about riding the damn thing is getting me stocked. :rock

·
I should be riding
628 Posts
mrheavydee95 said:
Never pulled a wheelie in my life and don't plan to (at least not on purpose). :p The last thing I need is to pull that front end up, and wreck my R1. Not worried about bodily injury if I fall because either way my ass would be grass from the asphalt or when the wifey finds out. :boom :boom

Sounds like the consensus is to be careful with is the throttle and enjoy the ride. OH man!!! just talking about riding the damn thing is getting me stocked. :rock

I could be incorrect for saying this.
All 1 liter owners has brought up the front wheel at least once, on purpose or not.

When you feel it, let off the throttle (no duh!) and keep the wheel straight.

oh yeah, you'll love not having to shift much on a liter bike.
Around town (30-40mph), you'd be in 1st or 2nd.
If you need to pass on the highway, you won't NEED to drop a gear or more to do so.

·
powderwhore
1,141 Posts
The acceleration and pull is insane. That’s why it’s hella fun. And to tell you the truth, I don’t know one person that can ride the One to its full potential. So don’t worry about riding beyond the bikes capability (with in reason).

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys rock. :rock

I'll make sure that I keep your suggestions in my helmet as I ride my brand spankin new blue R1.

Man this talk is getting me so physhed that I can't even explain it. I can't wait for my new bike to arrive and this damn weather in NY state to change.

Thanks again for all your info.

Here's to you guys. :beer

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
Hey congrats man. LIke the others said, take it easy on the throttle. DO NOT ride aggressively on the streets, or push your limits in the canyons. Wear full protective gear, seek as much formal rider training as you can get. Some track schools would be great. Reg Pridmore's CLASS is great for street sportbike riders looking to improve their technique. FOr a more track oriented track school, attend Keith Code's California Superbike School. Remember, those two boys need their daddy. Where you from?

·
Life begins at 140
91 Posts
It has been said before. Take it easy... Going from a Katana to an R1 is a huge leap. I recently bought the 04 R1 (I was a diehard gixxer man). The 120 miles on her has been fun and I am still breaking her in :finger

Except now we have some snow coming down this week. Looks like she will be in the garage for another couple weeks :cryin

·
Big Pimpin'
190 Posts
As everyone mentioned, steady with the throttle is most important. Also feather the clutch! I brought the front wheel up on accident (about a foot) at my first stop sign. I let out the clutch a little too quick. :2bitchsla Safe to say that hasn't happened again, at least to that extent. I get a little action shifiting from 1-2 sometimes, but no big deal. I too do not like to wheelie on purpose.

Eric

·
Registered
536 Posts
Much kudos to you, you'll have a fantastic time. I remember the type of thrust that shocked me from coming from a car, to riding my yzf600r. I was thrilled by how much faster the 600 was. Then I moved from the 600 to the one, and damn the thrust difference is incredible. Have much much fun. If you have a boy, I would suggest getting him two wheeling ASAP!!!! He'll thank you for the rest of his LIFE!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My little boy is 5 1/2 and has been riding for a year already. I took him to the track about 5 times last year to ride. He's also jumping 1 foot ramps. My wife and I both ride so it was only a matter of time before he his. His younger brother will also be riding when he gets older. He's only 4 months so he's got some time. :thumbup

1 - 20 of 38 Posts