Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres the deal, I've raced cars on a drag strip before but never a motorcycle, I'm going to take my 03 R1 to the strip but had a few questions first.

Do you guys run straight down the middle or in one of the ruts on the side of the lane?

What rpm are you launching at? are you just dumping the clutch out or easing it or what?

I always see motorcycle drag racers dragging there feet for a good distance. why do they do this?

What times can I expect I have an 03 R1 with MCM exhaust, K&N air filter, slide stops and smog blockoffs?

Any other suggestions would be extremely helpful as I've never ran the quarter on a motorcycle.........

thanks!!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
NEVER run down the middle of the lane (shiney parts). Stay in the groove laid down by the cars tires. You'll have much better success with any traction issues.
You never just dump the clutch...you'll end up on yer azz otherwise. It's a feeling out process of feeding in as much clutch as you can while giving it as much throttle as you can. For now, just leave the tree like you would from a stoplight and you are hammering it. Don't try to get all fancy...just make some passes and get a feel for it. Don't worry about the tree either...good reaction times are usually the LAST thing that you work on once you get the hang of it.
I leave the line with both feet on the ground...putting one up may cause you to drift out of the groove. Once I'm out there going straight, I'll pull both up so I can make the shift into second. (preload the shifter and just lift barely off WFO and then back WFO and it'll shift into the next gear, no clutch needed).
Depending on your skills, and weight...times can vary widely. I can run consistant 9.8's on my 02. But I've been doing it awhile and don't weight a lot. Here's a video so you can get an idea.

Don't worry about dropping air pressure in your rear tire unless you are spinning when you leave the line. If you do a burnout, no need for a huge one, just a couple of revolutions of the tire to clean it off is more than enough at this point. A front strap to pull the front down will do wonders for your allowing you to launch much harder and keeping the front end down.

But the most important thing to do is...just have fun. This is not as easy as some make it look. A lot of things are happening in a very short amount of time and it takes a lot of practice to get it all right at the same time.

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
do alot of watching.. watch other bikes. learn a little. every single time i go to track.. i watch other racers.. just to see what there doing and not doing.. even after 18 years going to track.. i might learn something.

·
Registered
528 Posts
do alot of watching.. watch other bikes. learn a little. every single time i go to track.. i watch other racers.. just to see what there doing and not doing.. even after 18 years going to track.. i might learn something.

yep...good advice as well. :cowboy

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
most important!! have fun!!! don't worry about those watching or talking, it's just you and your bike and your time to have fun :)

I think low 10's is realistic with a good launch.

the 60ft time on the timeslip is the MOST IMPORTANT number on the slip, espically when you start out.

on a stock wheelbase stock ride height bike, espically one with allot of low end power like an R1, if you get to 1.80's 60ft's you are doing well.

the MPH will stay pretty consistant, as it's an indication of HP, the ET will be all over the place as it changes with every little thing.

Get the 60ft right, and thr reast will be super easy.

No need to be in a rush to get your feet back up. So long as you get them up in time for the 1 - 2 shift thats fine :) You will have enough attention on getting the launch right, no need to worry about your feet till the clutch is all the way out.

Run in the grove left by one of the big tire cars :) Chances are with stock poer and ride height you will never spin, but why take a chance.

And please!!! Don't stage UNTIL the other guy is PRE STAGED!! I don't know why, but this drives me crazy. Both racers should be pre staged, before either one of them is staged. It's common curtiosy (sp?), and really helps you out in the long run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.