·
Convention main man
13,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
trust me...it never ends and just gets worse!! hahaha

·
No Comment ...
1,702 Posts
for those that have done safety wire, did you use a drill bit jig? or did you just take your time and break alot of bits? talked to a buddy of mine and he said just go buy ALOT of small drillbits and take your sweet time, but im thinking there has to be an easier way. Another question i have is, On the 04-06, not sure about other years, we had that oil fill bolt that doesn't have a handle, rather a groove, how would one go about safety wireing that? just drill a hole really close to the side and then cut a groove for the wire so you can still get it completely closed? im not sure what the rules are, but i would think you'd need that wired shut. If not, then dont mind my question

·
Ginger's Pillar of Strength
801 Posts
Here you go. I guess I only have one picture
TY

Is there a common tap size for the bolt? assuming I am using the term correctly as in a tap from a tap and die kit?

Or do you really have to drill the bolt; damn that seems like it would take forever...

what is the bolt in the top of the picture?

I see the wire kit from that site mentioned earlier, did you use that/ are ppl using it, or just do it by hand?
basicly is the little tool worth $20?

·
801 Posts
Do you have to cut the wire and rewire everytime?
If so, seems like the tool would be worth it.

Does anyone sell a predrilled bolt?

·
Lock & Load
1,430 Posts
Yes it's a pain in the ass, so get comfortable, you'll be there for a while. You will break less bits the better you get at it. I use 1/16 th bits. Some cutting oil will also help. Yes you have to cut the wire everytime you change the oil. The tool is only 12-14 bucks. A drill press would make things easier. The bolt at the top of the picture is for draining the coolant on a 04 to 06 r1. You don't have to wire it for track days but you do for racing. I bought a oil fill plug for a 02 r1. It has the handle to drill into and fits the 04's. I have seen people use the stock one but didn't pay attention to it because I didn't use it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
hmmm had the desire of track for a while now. might try to get to one this year. guess im just tired of the gravel, cars, blind corners, and most of all when i go down again there will be no bank , cliff, or tree to worry about. Alot of friends tell me i should get another bike for the track but i keep thinking alot easier to wreck on the streets than on the track due to unforseen obsticles.

·
801 Posts
Thanks for the input Pb.

For the racing AND track day aspect I can NOT believe that I can't find track specific items like a predrilled bolt...
*says sarcasticly to self* how many non-pro racers are out there?...

Jean, I completely agree. I guess the idea is you're going to go faster (at some point) on the track and the potential goes up to wreck. If you wreck a track bike, you still have your road bike. Plus the track bike will get all the "racing" goodies that are "NEEDED" to go faster on the track and therefore makes you better on the road... it's a vicious circle.

·
Lock & Load
1,430 Posts
Thanks for the input Pb.

For the racing AND track day aspect I can NOT believe that I can't find track specific items like a predrilled bolt...
*says sarcasticly to self* how many non-pro racers are out there?...

Jean, I completely agree. I guess the idea is you're going to go faster (at some point) on the track and the potential goes up to wreck. If you wreck a track bike, you still have your road bike. Plus the track bike will get all the "racing" goodies that are "NEEDED" to go faster on the track and therefore makes you better on the road... it's a vicious circle.
You can find some predrilled bolts here and there. Ity seemed like everytime I found a sight that offered them they would be on back odrder something.

Have fun on your track day!!

·
My R1 excites me...
267 Posts
I did my first trackday at JenningsGP in Florida. I went thru Ed Bargy's race school...very good. I do know that if ya go to the track's website (jenningsgp.com) you'll find a link to Ed's site...he offers the safety wire kits for most bikes, and they come with pre-drilled bolts, etc.

·
801 Posts
Thanks for the info. That site has a lot of items that I have not seen elsewhere.

Did you go with that kit? Or do it by hand

·
Super Moderator
21,660 Posts
I did my first trackday at JenningsGP in Florida. I went thru Ed Bargy's race school...very good. I do know that if ya go to the track's website (jenningsgp.com) you'll find a link to Ed's site...
Did you do the one or two day school? I've done many track days at JenningGP, but I'd love to take his school one of these days.

·
Convention main man
13,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
do it randy...then go racing!!

·
No Comment ...
1,702 Posts
i tried safety wiring yesterday, what a PITA! after figureing out the pinch bolts which i dont think i have wired right i moved onto the brake bolts, well needless to say i broke 2 bits on one bolt and finally said forget it. i wouldn't of gotten so frusterated but the bit broke off inside the head of the bolt so i had to try to drill another hole and that bit broke off inside also. May soke that bolt in hot water so hopefully it'll swell a little and they'll fall out. the bits were titanium so hopefully they wont swell as much as the aluminum bolts. what do you think?

·
Convention main man
13,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Good luck. drilling these things you have to be patient and very careful. It helps to go in and out a lot and not try and drill the hole all at once. Also helps to lubricate the drill bit.

·
A Little BRIT Different
1,027 Posts
Yes Randy come racing wiv us :)

Love to see ya its a bunch of fun as you already know

Was you in that mock race at Jennings when we were there last

I wish Jennings was not a 12 hour drive for me as I would really like to get to grip with the track and get better times,,, I was happy for my first time out there but know I can do much better

Looking forward to RA,, are you gonna be there?

Later

·
Super Moderator
21,660 Posts
Yes Randy come racing wiv us :)

Love to see ya its a bunch of fun as you already know

Was you in that mock race at Jennings when we were there last

I wish Jennings was not a 12 hour drive for me as I would really like to get to grip with the track and get better times,,, I was happy for my first time out there but know I can do much better

Looking forward to RA,, are you gonna be there?

Later
Yes, I did do a mock race there awhile back. It might have been when we were there in Jan of '07. I didn't do the one a few weeks ago at Jennings. I hope we can all get together again maybe late Winter next year for another Jennings day. I'll have to pass on RA this year. Money is tight at this time. I'll be putting 2K into home improvements over the next few weeks. Gotta save up for the Gap trip and MotoGP in Sept. I can tell you I'll be back with Nesba for '09 and plan to hit up Road Atlanta and Barber again. My plan is to take the Ed Bargey school next Winter at Jennings and do more track riding in '09.

61 - 80 of 167 Posts
About this Discussion
166 Replies
64 Participants
z064life
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing