Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 167 Posts

·
Forum Moderator
32,431 Posts
hmmm had the desire of track for a while now. might try to get to one this year. guess im just tired of the gravel, cars, blind corners, and most of all when i go down again there will be no bank , cliff, or tree to worry about. Alot of friends tell me i should get another bike for the track but i keep thinking alot easier to wreck on the streets than on the track due to unforseen obsticles.

Once you do it there's no going back..... your hooked!!

·
Forum Moderator
32,431 Posts
Yes, I did do a mock race there awhile back. It might have been when we were there in Jan of '07. I didn't do the one a few weeks ago at Jennings. I hope we can all get together again maybe late Winter next year for another Jennings day. I'll have to pass on RA this year. Money is tight at this time. I'll be putting 2K into home improvements over the next few weeks. Gotta save up for the Gap trip and MotoGP in Sept. I can tell you I'll be back with Nesba for '09 and plan to hit up Road Atlanta and Barber again. My plan is to take the Ed Bargey school next Winter at Jennings and do more track riding in '09.

Sweet!!!!! bout to do some home improvements myself.

·
Convention main man
13,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
home improvements suck! takes money out of the racing budget! LOL

·
Forum Moderator
32,431 Posts
home improvements suck! takes money out of the racing budget! LOL

This is true... but it keeps the wife happy which allows me to do said trackdays.

·
My R1 excites me...
267 Posts
Thanks for the info. That site has a lot of items that I have not seen elsewhere.

Did you go with that kit? Or do it by hand
No, I didn't go with one of the kits....My buddy Tim hooked me up in his garage. He had all the wire, the special tool, and a nice drill press. I just had to come up with a hose clamp to use on the filter. We only had to drill the drain plug & a bolt on the clutch cover...I already had a billet oil fill cap installed with the drilled handle.

·
My R1 excites me...
267 Posts
Did you do the one or two day school? I've done many track days at JenningGP, but I'd love to take his school one of these days.
I did the one day...full race school. We started about 7am on the track suited up ready to roll for orientation, then went back & forth from classroom sessions to track sessions til about 5pm. Then they had the mock race. It was a great experience, Ed was a great guy. Came away full race certified. I'm hoping to head down there again this summer for some more track time & eventually go thru the school again at a later date once I get more experience & can really start to use alot of the info he has to offer!
:thumbup

·
Ginger's Pillar of Strength
801 Posts
as my day gets closer...

So recently I lowered my bike an inch. I am short and have been wanting to try this for some time. After a handful of weekends now I have been plenty comfortable with my setup with the extra bonus of being able to reach the ground.
SO, my question is Will "they" allow me to run my bike this way, or do I have to put it back to stock?

·
INVICTUS
14,903 Posts
So recently I lowered my bike an inch. I am short and have been wanting to try this for some time. After a handful of weekends now I have been plenty comfortable with my setup with the extra bonus of being able to reach the ground.
SO, my question is Will "they" allow me to run my bike this way, or do I have to put it back to stock?
They may or may not let you run that way but I definately would'nt want to ride a bike that's been lowered at the track. You'd be surprised at how much the forks travel and you may end up banging the upper against the fender.

IMO put it back to stock and set the sag. It's no big deal and I've seen girls at the track who had to have someone hold the bike up till pit out. As long as you can get a toe down and peg leg it you're good.

·
Forum Moderator
32,431 Posts
They may or may not let you run that way but I definately would'nt want to ride a bike that's been lowered at the track. You'd be surprised at how much the forks travel and you may end up banging the upper against the fender.

IMO put it back to stock and set the sag. It's no big deal and I've seen girls at the track who had to have someone hold the bike up till pit out. As long as you can get a toe down and peg leg it you're good.

:iamwithst

·
Forum Moderator
32,431 Posts

·
A Little BRIT Different
1,027 Posts
Hey there Scott

Morning Martin!!!!
Another beautiful day here in the wilds of Kentucky,,, it was 80 yesterday and is going to be the same today,, not a cloud in the sky,,, I may even find time to ride out for a while.

oh and its martyN NNNNN pronounced martin hahahahha and not Marty hahaha that could get confuzzing haha

what ya up to? counting the days to RA,,,you are going are you not?

Bill la Vroooom, Doug and Justin and I are all heading to Putnam for a weekend of wild stuff,,, so I am sooo looking forward to that :)

U should head up this way sometime.

Not too happy about not being at the convention this year :(

·
Forum Moderator
32,431 Posts
I want to get up to Putnam.... might have to wait till later on in the summer or fall.

·
A Little BRIT Different
1,027 Posts
Hey when ever your ready

I want to get up to Putnam.... might have to wait till later on in the summer or fall.

to head up this way gimme a shout and I will be more than happy to show yuo around,,,, the track is 2 1/2 hours north of me here.....

The fact that there is so much run off area which makes it very safe appeals to me and the fact that I know the trac pretty well now.

Usually Bill, I and Doug hang out there oh and Justin too..... as well as a bunch from Lexington that I know well,,,, get to see the same old faces there (ok maybe not old faces except for mine)....

My Birthday next week,,, only a shade away from 50 now hahahaha,,,, dont feel it yet and I hope to never feel it....

Later

·
Forum Moderator
32,431 Posts
I have seen some vids that Bill made and it looks like a fun track. What city is it near?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Defintely get into a Keigwins, Pacific Track Time or a Zoom Zoom trackdays C group and sit in on the classes between sessions. And instructors will be helping you out all day as long as you ask for it. Thats included in your trackday fee

·
Ride it like you stole it
7 Posts
McDizzle,

For actual racing in WERA you need a license. For track day, no license. Just have bikes set for track and have fun. The only track that gives problems is Laguna (go figure MOTOGP) you have to have your stock pipes for track days.

·
My R1 eats Smoked Pork
210 Posts
as I sit here in Central Florida, 1 week to the day of my first track day, I am compiling a checklist with the help uf this useful thread as the rain pours down outside. I hope next week is clear and nice. I have had this planned for months with a co-worker and up until now I have been mostly excited. With the day rapidly approaching I am starting to feel anxious and a little nervous. The "what if" scenarios are starting to run through my head. My bike is pretty new and I make payments on it- so there is the possible economic aftermath of a bad day. I do not have health insurance and with 2 young sons this carries more weight than it used to. these things are scary. I am a humble rider and I am not looking to beat anybody. I am going to take my time learning the lines and leave plenty in reserve. does everyone feel like this 1 week before??

here is my checklist, please feel free to suggest anything you think I may have forgot..

1) tape headlights,tail lights and blinkers
2) remove mirrors and install block offs
3) pull fuses to blinkers and headlights
4) set sag in full gear
5) remove my fender eliminator kit(tag, blinkers,bracket)
6) pull quick plug for tailight while im in there
7)tighten frame sliders to torque spec
8)clean and lube chain set tension
9) boots,gloves,leathers,helmet,extra visor,under gear,Key,5 gallons of gas,cooler with food and drinks,rear stand,folding chair..

I know I am forgeting somthing- wish me luck guys!

81 - 100 of 167 Posts