Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi team,

I purchased my own Yamaha r1 2007 finally, after years of thoughts and dreams. And although it’s the second day, i am feeling a bit negative about my whole experience.

The bike looks and perform great, but my big problem is that i found it extremely difficult to drive this bike for cruising around.

the clutch is too stiff to the point that i legit feel big pain on my palm, my wrists and back hurt. I know it kinda sounds like i am a whining person who complains but i find it difficult to believe that some people dont find it difficult.

please let me know. Does the experience get better in the future? Is the clutch thing normal? I know this is a race bike meant for circuits but come on. It shouldn’t be so difficult to take it for a 10km ride down the beach to cruise.

·
An R1 kinda day!
2015 Yamaha YZF R1 Raven Edition
613 Posts
One must develop a stamina to ride a supersport. The first few rides of a new season, my ass hurts, wrists, and leg cramps, just to name a little. By the end of the season, a 400 mile trip usually isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Definitely not comfortable bikes. Im a fit guy and even so I’m still a bit sore after my first few outings each year. No way I’d do 400 miles. To be honest, my 16 only feels good at the track so that’s all I’ve done this summer.

·
Horsepower whisperer
1,457 Posts
Newer modern sport bikes are torture racks on straight roads.
Gotta have lots of curves so one can move about the cockpit. 😎

·
Nevermore
1,123 Posts
Mine fits me like a glove. 300 mile trips no problem. Curious what kind of bike did you have prior to the R1.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Will never be a Cruising Around bike, I scalloped an inch out of the seat foam and rotated the bars forward a few degrees which made a big difference in slow speed corners and relaxed the body on straight roads.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I usually go for about an hour of riding before it gets my wrists and back sore.
Really depends what you look for in a bike and the experience you want. Separately, I have a 2011 speed triple which is a naked sport, more upright. Tons of awesome low end torque which is real fun in the city with an upright position that can let you ride for hours without pain, but leaves you wanting more when you are hitting higher speeds.

IMO the best bike to do it all is the S1000R (single R). I had that before I traded up to my 2015 R1. The S1000R does not sacrifice power at all, but is comfortable as hell. At times, I almost think the S1000R even has better throttle response and power in similar RPM's in 5th and 6th gear than my R1. Pair that with heated grips, cruise control, makes it one helluva bike.

·
628 Posts
you should be resting your stomach on the fuel tank almost all the time; that take most of the weight off your wrists AND your BACK

also, any activity you do before you ride will weaken the wrists, such as push ups and or sex (straddling over a woman ).don't ride bike everyday, ride it every other day to give wrists and back time to rest and recover

you can wrap your wrists too to increase support. R1 isn't a cruiser; it a race bike

·
Fuelled by Rice
3,729 Posts
The key thing is to squeeze tank with your knees and engage your core, that will automatically put your body into proper position for your back and arms.
The moose pull easy clutch will help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
You can get some aftermarket clip ons that will allow you to adjust the sweep of the bars, which can increase the comfort levels. But don’t forget it’s a sport bike with all the benefits and detractions that goes with it. Wait till it’s hot out and your right leg feels like it’s going to melt your skin clean off

·
Obey The Law, of Physics
105 Posts
Sounds like you got the wrong bike for what you are wanting to do. The "civilian" R1 is a world class track bike with lights. It's really only gets happy above 60mph, preferably higher.

There's no easy way to lessen clutch pull on a cable clutch bike. I'm 56 and didn't find my 08 really uncomfortable on the wrists or back, but didn't care for the seat angle which has you humping the gas tank over bumps.

Sounds like you would be better off with a midsize supersport (I had a '17 ZX6r last year and with the engine running there's some sort of clutch assist going on that allows you to pull in the clutch effortlessly with one finger).

But if it's gotta be a liter bike check out the Aprilia Tuono 1100. A motor made in heaven and standard type handlebar, more upright seating and great saddle. And few bikes will get away from you in a straight line on this beast.

·
628 Posts
Come on! I'm 6'3", 53 years old and have only owned R1's. The wife, R6's. We ride all day. 100's of miles. And I'm definitely bangin' the wife before rides! No problem with the wrists.
haha
some people have perfect body size for sportbike; they got extra long arms keeping their torso higher and then less weight on wrists. also, they weekend only riders and wrists always rested. some may have very thin, skinny and LIGHT torso making it easy for wrists to not get overworked

best tactic is to get in habit of resting stomach on fuel tank

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi team,

I purchased my own Yamaha r1 2007 finally, after years of thoughts and dreams. And although it’s the second day, i am feeling a bit negative about my whole experience.

The bike looks and perform great, but my big problem is that i found it extremely difficult to drive this bike for cruising around.

the clutch is too stiff to the point that i legit feel big pain on my palm, my wrists and back hurt. I know it kinda sounds like i am a whining person who complains but i find it difficult to believe that some people dont find it difficult.

please let me know. Does the experience get better in the future? Is the clutch thing normal? I know this is a race bike meant for circuits but come on. It shouldn’t be so difficult to take it for a 10km ride down the beach to cruise.
I'd have to agree with most of the points made so far but in your first picture it looks like the clutch lever is angled up rather than flat or even slightly downward...they are adjustable.

·
OUR12!
88 Posts
You can get a lot tips from the above comments. Your body type, fitness level, age: all factors.... some guys are completely comfortable with 3 hours on a super, some guys just like pain. I would take every opportunity to stretch. Since your clutch hand is stiff... my guess is you are riding places with lots of stops and starts... not ideal. Make sure you always have flappy arms and are pinching the tank with your knees (especially on decel). It helps. But in all honesty... if you don't fix this.. you need to put it away for track use and get yourself a sport tour or a naked, both will allow hours of comfortable riding. Riding in pain isnt fun.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts