Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

Registered
I agree re: the angle of your hand levers. On my 2015 R1, they were too high from the factory. Very uncomfortable because I'm tall (6'3") and that forces your hands further down on the grips. I actually switched to Renthal clip-ons/Graves bars, then shaved off the plastic placement nubs on either side's plastic controls. This allowed me to rotate/angle everything further down---now my wrists are at a natural angle to pull the levers with no pain.

By the way, I also switched out my brake master cylinder with a Brembo Corsa Corta 19 MC--very nice! It required a Spiegler MC brake line replacement BTW, see Kurverygirl.com for that part.

I do have the stock OEM clip ons/brake master cylinder with lever for sale if anybody is interested---I'll post those parts in classified ASAP.

SuperbikeUnlimited.com
It's ok. Some people are not adaptive and shouldn't ride sportbikes. Sell it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Plastic surgery pending
Are your palms/wrists actually hurting from the clutch? Normally there's some "break-in" time with the left forearm/wrist with clutch; it will also come back to a degree after several months off for winter, etc. That soreness will go away as your body just gets used to it.
You're likely also putting too much pressure on your palms/wrists to hold yourself up. Your inner thighs and core are better for holding on. Tank pads like Stomp Grips are good for this. If you just want to cruise, it's not the best bike for it. You can add slightly raised bars/clip-ons, and that will mitigate the effect somewhat. Ultimately you need to spend more time in a position that puts you behind the bars (or at least gets you closer). I have a somewhat long torso, so yeah...I know it can be a bit annoying.
Most of the roads I ride don't permit super fast speeds. When I got a new bike this year, I made the choice to go for a naked/standard bike. It's just far more work getting a sportbike around some of the dinky roads around here.

Come on! I'm 6'3", 53 years old and have only owned R1's. The wife, R6's. We ride all day. 100's of miles. And I'm definitely bangin' the wife before rides! No problem with the wrists.
OK, this made me laugh.

Premium Member
'08 R1
HOLY SHIT your CLUTCH LEVER is aimed at the [email protected]!? lol Dude, you need to fix that asap. It should be a normal ergonomic position when hands are on bars to reach effortlessly out with fingers. Watch a YouTube video or 2 on how to set your controls on a sport bike.

Premium Member
HOLY SHIT your CLUTCH LEVER is aimed at the [email protected]!? lol Dude, you need to fix that asap. It should be a normal ergonomic position when hands are on bars to reach effortlessly out with fingers. Watch a YouTube video or 2 on how to set your controls on a sport bike.
Yep. Just noticed that too. He鈥檚 breaking his wrist just to clutch.

Plastic surgery pending
Oh shiiiiiiiiit. True. That's awful.

Registered
Hi team,

I purchased my own Yamaha r1 2007 finally, after years of thoughts and dreams. And although it鈥檚 the second day, i am feeling a bit negative about my whole experience.

The bike looks and perform great, but my big problem is that i found it extremely difficult to drive this bike for cruising around.

the clutch is too stiff to the point that i legit feel big pain on my palm, my wrists and back hurt. I know it kinda sounds like i am a whining person who complains but i find it difficult to believe that some people dont find it difficult.

please let me know. Does the experience get better in the future? Is the clutch thing normal? I know this is a race bike meant for circuits but come on. It shouldn鈥檛 be so difficult to take it for a 10km ride down the beach to cruise.
Just bought myself an 07 R1 and I鈥檓 186cm 130kg and I surprisingly found it comfortable after an hour of riding, only my hands were cramping up and this is my first bike, stick with it hopefully it works out

Registered
I would have to say it is you not the bike. just being honest.. I have an 00 R1 and have been riding it every year since bought new. Also was taking my 05 636RR track bike out for lap days up to 3 years ago.
I am 57 on my next birthday and can still ride the bike for a couple hours without discomfort. Maybe you (as some have noted) need to adjust your clutch position and maybe check the cables..
I am over 6 feet tall and the first part of my body that starts to pain is always my lower back and that is due to past injuries.
I will say that there are definitely less aggressive riding position on some supersport bikes. Not sure if it still holds true still but kawasaki always seemed to have a more comfortable ride on their ZX bikes to me.
Maybe get some clip-on risers....or practice yoga :)

Registered
I'm way old,had to ride my buddy's FZ10 for a month while my R1 was down and I lost massive amounts of tone and muscle in my upper body from being upright and comfortable.
You do need a certain amount of fitness to hold yourself up for long periods of time that you may acquire as you go however if you have back problems being hunched over will likely make it worse.
Don't give up,give your body some time to acclimate get some softer grips and a different clutch mechanism while setting your perches in the most comfortable position and maybe an Advil or two.
59 on a 18 R1 and in pain just sitting on the couch posting..
Good luck

***KillingTime***
I miss my 07 R1, I bought new, didn't have to do anything to her accept adjust the controls to suit how i ride. No wrist back or any aches what so ever. The R1 was my daily ride, i could ride this bike for hours. The 07 -08 YZF-R1 in my opinion is the best looking and performing street bike for 07 - 08. The bike has a slipper clutch so up and down shifting was butter. Don't know how long you been riding sport bikes. I don't think it's the bike I think it's you riding tense, your not relaxed and confident while riding. That will bring aches and pain in your riding .
At current I ride a 2015 MV Agusta F4 rr. I am 55 and ride sport bikes.
If I could find another 07 - 08 R1 that hasn't been beaten to shit I just might get another one.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts