Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings fellow R1 enthusiasts
I bought my first bike back in June and I am ecstatic to own this fantastic '01 R1.

I'm completely new to owning a bike as none of my friends have one.

I have a bike stand for storing it over the winter months as to not get any dead spots on the tire and the bike will be kept in my garage which is connected to my house.
Here is what I know:
Don't drain any fluids
Keep half a gas tank
Let it idle 15 min twice a month.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Do I need a cover? Will it help protect the pipes from getting too cold or will all it do is repel dust?
2. What kind of battery tender should I purchase?
I imagine it's a different size for the one that I use to tender my 84 vett.

Thanks in advance for your help.
~Fury~

· I RACE U LOSE
4,145 Posts
I would suggest filling the tank, being in an attached garage will eliminate many 'storage' type of problems (moisture). A Battery Tender brand charger would be an excellent choice. If stored for a month or more, the first start afterwards should have the bike running for 15 minutes or more before the bike is put into gear. R1 clutches don't get much oil on a normal basis, and after sitting a lot of the oil on the plates is gone leaving them pretty dry. Sport Rider smoked a clutch on an R1 that sat for some time, the plates were dry and in their words (from memory) 'it quickly destroyed itself' Running for 20 minutes a month won't do any harm, and IMO could actually do some good, by keeping the parts covered in oil. Un-plugging and re-plugging in the Battery Tender once a week will reset it, if not it will let the battery drop to roughly 12.6 volts before it 'turns on' on its own.

· I'm an Englishman in WI.
33,912 Posts
If it's in a really cold environment I wouldn't start it periodically, it will build more moisture as it cools and that is not good.
I agree with a full tank rather than half too, less chance of rust build up if its full, I would also run some Seafoam through the system before putting her up for winter too.
A cover is always a good idea, I would put an old comforter over first and then a cover of some sort.
Like I say, all depends where you are.

· Moderator - In Memorium
25,903 Posts
If it's in a really cold environment I wouldn't start it periodically, it will build more moisture as it cools and that is not good.
I agree with a full tank rather than half too, less chance of rust build up if its full, I would also run some Seafoam through the system before putting her up for winter too.
A cover is always a good idea, I would put an old comforter over first and then a cover of some sort.
Like I say, all depends where you are.
+1

I have to agree with the non-start plan. Unless you can get all engine fluids up to operating temps where absorbed moisture can "boil off" there is no sense in distributing that moisture around the engine.

Redgecko clearly has a good understanding of cold weather storage, coming from just south of Santa and all :sneaky

:vanish

· I'm an Englishman in WI.
33,912 Posts
+1

I have to agree with the non-start plan. Unless you can get all engine fluids up to operating temps where absorbed moisture can "boil off" there is no sense in distributing that moisture around the engine.

Redgecko clearly has a good understanding of cold weather storage, coming from just south of Santa and all :sneaky

:vanish

My cold weather storage turned a little extreme this year. :lol

· Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
38,226 Posts
My cold weather storage turned a little extreme this year. :lol
No kidding! Mine isn't near as nice as your room. But, my garage rarely drops below 50, even when it is -15 outside. :yesnod

As to winter storage, I junst change oil, mix in Seafoam, top off fuel, battery tendar, and up on front and rear stands. Cover in a flat sheet, and good. No need for an expensive cover.

· Moderator - In Memorium
25,903 Posts
You can get any battery maintainer that you want. Battery Tender Jr is a good one, as well as several others on the market. Just don't plug it in and leave it for the whole winter.

There are a few high end maintainers that advertise multi-cycle/multi-service use that cost a few more dollars, but disconnecting the battery, keeping it warm, and keeping it fully charged without overcharging is best in my opinion.

· Registered
125 Posts
So what kind of battery tender do I need?
You can find a Battery Tender Jr for around $20 with a bit of Google searching. Before I bought a Shorai battery I used to keep my OEM connected to a Battery Tender Jr all the time when I was done riding for the day. I had a pigtail extension plug that I routed under the passenger seat and it was easy to plug in the battery.

In the winter it sat plugged into the charger for many months with no ill effects.

· Track Day Checkers!
24 Posts
I support the "full tank of gas" club, also use Sta-Bil. I would also vote against starting it every few weeks. If you have a fuel shut off switch run the carbs out of gas. I always took the battery out of the bike and brought it inside the house.

The routine gets old though, so I just moved to Arizona and ride year-round instead!

· Track Day Checkers!
24 Posts
...but it's a dry heat!

Jk it sucks in July, but it's perfect 9 months out of the year. Hardest decision today was if I should drive the topless Jeep, FZ1, or Dirt Scoot to work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.