Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Track Junkie
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be doing my first track day this June, at Cayuga. Do you guys think D208's will be alright....I ride pretty fast on the streets and haven't had an issue (that's why I've stuck with em). I'm more concerned with learning the proper riding methods, than anything.

Second.....(I feel stupid for asking this :2bitchsla ), how exactly do you saftey wire your drain plug and oil filter?

Last....what type of water do you put in your radiator to replace the coolant? and where can one find this?

Thanks!

· Banned
1,059 Posts
First, if you have plenty of tread left, you should be fine with your 208's.
Second, plain water is fine, or you can use Water Wetter, which is not slick like ethylene glycol. I just use water. Third, it helps to have a saftey wire pliers. They're a sort of pliers that lock closed and the have a knob on the bottom you pull put that causes the pliers to spin the wire very clean and tight. You can get them at any race oriented bike shop.
What you so is, pull the drain plug out and set it in a vise. Tap a divot into it with a hole punch to seat your drill bit, and drill a hole through the top, exiting out the side of the top part of the nut. Then find a place near the drain plug to anchor it on the bike and drill a corresponding hole. Screw the plug back in and thread the wire through the hole you made in the plug, and then through the anchoring spot. Clip the wire ends in the pliers, pull the knob a few times to spin it up tight, clip off the excess, leaving about an inch and a half of twist, and use a needle nose to fold the twist back on itself. The filler cap is easy, because it's plastic, but its the same principle. Remove one of the hex nuts from the engine cover and drill it to use as your anchor, then thread the wire through, twist, clip and fold. For the filter, you want to get a hose clamp, tighten it really well onto the filter, then wire it to an anchor on the bike, with the wire in such a way that the tension would screw the filter in tighter if it was pulled on.
Make sense?

· X R1 X
736 Posts
boxing21 said:
Second.....(I feel stupid for asking this :2bitchsla ), how exactly do you saftey wire your drain plug and oil filter?

Let me ask this then, what is the purpose of this wiring of the drain plug and oil filter, any pics to explain??:dunno

· Banned
1,059 Posts
Vibration can make the bolts and screw-in parts vibrate out. For track days, they usually only make you wire oil plug, filler cap and filter, but real racers wire everything, and I mean I've seen some bikes with every single m-f'ing bolt and screw wired. It's a pain in the butt, but the more wire, the safer you are.

· Track Junkie
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THats exactly what i was looking for, thanks! D208's will be new.

· Bulldogger
5,878 Posts
Supercorsas are confidence inspiring IMO.

· Action figure sold separately
12,868 Posts
Do not use plain water if that means tap water, but do use distilled water. Add Redline Water Wetter, 1oz per qt of distilled water. If your D208s have 80% or more of their tread remaining, and are not squared off, there is little to no reason to replace them for your first track day, where you should be working on technique and not outright speed.

· Bulldogger
5,878 Posts
All the track side tire venders have very competative prices on track rubber. Usally cheaper than anything you'll find at your local shop or on the net by far:fact

· Action figure sold separately
12,868 Posts
Mammalian04 said:
So if I have about 2k miles on the stock tires I should change them before the track day? They definitely don't have 80%.

Yes, absolutely replace them for the track day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.