Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I took my bike up to the dealer he listened to it and said it sounded like worn rod bearings to him. But I have put 160 miles since I have heard this very light knocking sound, maybe its not and he wants to rip me off. Before I tear the motor down or buy a new one, is there no way at all to tell if its the bearings by testing it or something? The sound is coming from around the clutch area it gets quieter when I pull in the clutch but does nto go away, which makes me thing he is lying. He tells me 20 hours labor so I know I will buy a new motor before I have them fix it. If I fix it myself I was going to replace all the bearings and the crank, hoping the rods arent ****ed. I dont know what to do the bike runs fine except this sound. Can the throttle bodies being out of synch make engine noise such as a slight knocking? I have my new morgan carbtune coming in the next few days so I will synch them and see. I wish I could record it and post it. But I have know way of getting the sound to a file. There has got to be a way to tell what it is. The dealer said he could be wrong but needed like 3 hours to find out, bullshit. Mechanics please help.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can you check to see if there is play in the rods by taking the oil pan off or do you have to take aprt the whole motor.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm I dont know what to do. There is a motor on ebay that is being sold by a longtime ebay member, hopefully he wont rip me off. Here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&category=10066&sspagename=STRK:MEBBI:IT&rd=1 You think it is a good deal and it is ok with the engine covers like that? Or shoudl I just fix mine? Man I dont feel like taking all the time of taking apart the motor and all that.

·
kill them all!!!
218 Posts
The clutch doesn't sit in the oil bath like most other bikes. That's why it's noisier, almost like a dry clutch, but doesn't rattle nearly as much as the dry clutch. And pulling in the clutch lever does make it quieter.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the clutch sounds, and I know the normal clutch noise gets quieter when you pull in the lever. My jeep even made a similar noise. This is an abnormal Knock that is coming from aorund the clutch area and around the case. How could I record it and post it so people can hear it?

·
Blue is best
787 Posts
Get a manual and an electric impact gun and pull the clutch basket out. You can see the number 4 rod at that point if you rotate the engine using the ignition pickup bolt. Then you can see if the rod bearing is gone or not.

If you're not comfortable doing this type of work find someone to help you.

K

·
0 Posts
buy the one on ebay, then take and fix yours in your spare time, then sell it on ebay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts