Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

Bike was riding okay. Today this red light flashes when I insert the key and the bike doesn't turn on at all.
I'm guessing it needs the red key but any advice on how to tackle this since I have a super long drive home.

Highly appreciated!

·
I miss my R1
3,725 Posts
Likely the immobilizer isn't recognizing the key, unfortunately I don't think there's like to be any easy way to circumvent it without seeing a dealer (or having a spare key)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Likely the immobilizer isn't recognizing the key, unfortunately I don't think there's like to be any easy way to circumvent it without seeing a dealer (or having a spare key)
I'll try the red key and the other black key. Mostly worried it happens again as I'm driving it back.

·
I miss my R1
3,725 Posts
I'll try the red key and the other black key. Mostly worried it happens again as I'm driving it back.
It's much more likely an issue with the key than the bike (If I had to guess) if it works with the other black key don't worry about it too much, you should still look into getting another replacement key made just so you have a backup in case this happens again.

I would recommend NOT using the red key unless all else fails, the red key is needed to reprogram any other keys AFAIK. (or at least it was on my 07, but needless to say your bike is much newer than mine was)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's much more likely an issue with the key than the bike (If I had to guess) if it works with the other black key don't worry about it too much, you should still look into getting another replacement key made just so you have a backup in case this happens again.

I would recommend NOT using the red key unless all else fails, the red key is needed to reprogram any other keys AFAIK. (or at least it was on my 07, but needless to say your bike is much newer than mine was)
Okay will try with the other spare key then. Do you recommend not using the red key even to drive it to the dealer or that's okay?
Sorry might seem like a stupid question but never dealt with that before.

·
I miss my R1
3,725 Posts
If the other black key works, don't use the red key... if the other black key doesn't work and the red one does, I would use it only to get home and then get the dealer to check the bike/black keys to see what's wrong (it's not impossible that both black keys could fail at the same time, but it'd be unlikely)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the other black key works, don't use the red key... if the other black key doesn't work and the red one does, I would use it only to get home and then get the dealer to check the bike/black keys to see what's wrong (it's not impossible that both black keys could fail at the same time, but it'd be unlikely)
Okay cool man. Thank you for your comments and time!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I don't see any immobilizer antenna ring around your ignition. Has your ignition ever been replaced? Are you the first owner of the bike? Take a picture of the dash while trying to start the bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts