Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I consider myself to be a fairly skilled rider and have put my fair share of miles on superbikes. I have owned my 04 R1 for 3 years now and I punish the bike like a red headed stepchild every time I ride it.:fingr: Extra hard on track days. The bike now has 16,000 miles on it and recently had its first real mechanical problem. If you dont count replacing the clutch 5 times and countless brakes, tires, chains, and sprockets. I brought it to the dealer and after further investigation they found the flywheel exploded into about 100 peices. I explained to the dealer that I abuse the bike heavily but he said he has never seen anything like this in his entire career. At first I didn't believe him so I physically went down to the shop to see for myself. Sure enough that thing was f%#ked up! Has anybody else experienced this problem before? Could it be from intense amounts of heat? Any ideas?

·
Luv ya blue!
1,183 Posts
New to me as well. Could have been a very minor defect from day one that normal use would never have exploited but due to your hard use of the bike, it couldn't hold up.

·
Il Padrino
1,981 Posts
THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS

No, seriously it is!

I honestly can't believe such a thing is possible. I once had to cut a flywheel off a crankshaft and I went through TWO cutting discs on my high-speed air cut-off tool. That is very thick and very hard steel. For one to disintegrate like that, it would require much more than a "minor" flaw.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^I didnt think to bring my camera when I went to look at the bike although I can understand your dis belief. I didnt believe it myself until I saw it in person. Like I said even the mechanics at the dealer said they have never seen this happen in their entire careers?

·
AMA Life Member
269 Posts
If this in fact did occur........I could see it happening due to a bearing failure finnaly wearing out and letting go. At these kind of rpm's, a bearing failure can be pretty amazing. If the rotor is brittle hard it may have acted upon itself once the destruction process began. It would be like running in a blender with all those pieces acting to chew everything up. I've seen this type of failure in the field in work in. Usually in order for this type of failure to occur, the containment vessel (engine casing) has to be as hard or harder than the items inside it. Did the aluminium engine cases come apart as well? I would have expected heavy vibration to oocur prior to the event.

·
Il Padrino
1,981 Posts
Rotors are quite the opposite from brittle. They're as strong as the crankshaft - probably the 2 strongest parts of the bike.

painte - My dis belief isn't that I think you're full of sh!t but rather amazement. I'd really like to see that. Have them return the parts to you and post a picture for us, please.

·
My R1 is faster than yours
1,505 Posts
im with mx racer here man idk how you could have shattered the stock flywheel since it is hard as hell. I have ripped apart the 04 motor a few times and it doesnt seem feasible, but somethings are just random failures so you never know.

my question is how your on your 6th clutch... damn i tracked an 04 with my friend and we put 4k track only miles and didnt even kill 1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.