Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I consider myself to be a fairly skilled rider and have put my fair share of miles on superbikes. I have owned my 04 R1 for 3 years now and I punish the bike like a red headed stepchild every time I ride it.:fingr: Extra hard on track days. The bike now has 16,000 miles on it and recently had its first real mechanical problem. If you dont count replacing the clutch 5 times and countless brakes, tires, chains, and sprockets. I brought it to the dealer and after further investigation they found the flywheel exploded into about 100 peices. I explained to the dealer that I abuse the bike heavily but he said he has never seen anything like this in his entire career. At first I didn't believe him so I physically went down to the shop to see for myself. Sure enough that thing was f%#ked up! Has anybody else experienced this problem before? Could it be from intense amounts of heat? Any ideas?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^I didnt think to bring my camera when I went to look at the bike although I can understand your dis belief. I didnt believe it myself until I saw it in person. Like I said even the mechanics at the dealer said they have never seen this happen in their entire careers?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.