Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Cant wheelie to save my ass!
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have always ridden with my feet above the gear shift and the brake since I damaged my ankle and have been riding a 600f Honda with a bent gear shift lever I have been riding with my toes on the pegs, since I have my new R1 I still find that I am riding with my toes on the pegs. What I would like to know is which is correct and the reasons why, I do not want to get into a bad habit (more than most likely is already)

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
The toes should not be on the pegs. The metatarsal head area, or "ball of the foot" should be on the pegs for most efficient control, except when the shift lever or rear brake lever is being operated. Then the foot is shifted forward to reach the lever, and back when done.

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Eyspy that was what I wanted to know

·
My RR tempts me
654 Posts
How come I never see the pros do that? I always see the peg is in between the heel and the ball of the foot, basically right in the middle. That is the most natural for me as well but I do not want to drag my toe some time because of it

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had a track day and the showed a vidoe (must have been made in 1980) and there they asy you should have your feet over/ just above the controls (gear/brake). Cant get my ankels there at that angle so I guess I will stick to the balls of my feet.

·
450 coming shortly...
7,696 Posts
Eyespy-What about cornering??

What would you suggest is the best foot position,or like riding style-is it just personal preferance??

Cheers.
:thumbup

·
Beeeeeer!
9,542 Posts
I would still say the ball of your foot. you cant move or pivot around on the bike with the peg in the notch under your boot heel.

·
DAMN YOU SHANE
14,362 Posts
i have to say it is not a stupid question becuase i didnt knwo the answer to the question i ride how im comfy

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
Ozzy_R1_demon said:
Eyespy-What about cornering??

What would you suggest is the best foot position,or like riding style-is it just personal preferance??

Cheers.
Ball of foot.

·
skippy
325 Posts
luma said:
Had a track day and the showed a vidoe (must have been made in 1980) and there they asy you should have your feet over/ just above the controls (gear/brake). Cant get my ankels there at that angle so I guess I will stick to the balls of my feet.

Was this track day like a schooling thing? because the schools tend to push for safety over anything else.

I say ball of foot. i used to leave my feet in the same position (between ball and heel) all the time until my mate suggested i move them around constantly through the twisties...... the difference was amazing. it gives a much better position to hang your butt off the seat and feels so much more "right". You can point your knee out toward the ground better and it feels more stable because you have better leverage and strength through your legs by utilizing your ankle joint.

Now i even move my feet for slow corners on the street because it feels right.

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup it was a School type thing it was the first track day for my girlfriend. Mad them do all the breaking tests ect and get a certificate at the end . So you are probale right that they were focusing more on the safety aspect.

·
Suicide Kings Racing
2,192 Posts
i'm always on the balls of my feet, maybe even closer to the toe side

jason pridmore teaches this along with his leg control (cornering) and it make a big difference

just going from heels on pegs to balls of feet on pegs make a huge difference in cornering

·
My RR tempts me
654 Posts
But does anybody see the pros do it the "wrong" way? I watch there mannerisms closely during the race and I always wondered why they don't follow the widespread advice of balls of the feet. Maybe I see them wrong, after all theyre going a hundred or so.

·
450 coming shortly...
7,696 Posts
Landshark92 said:
But does anybody see the pros do it the "wrong" way? I watch there mannerisms closely during the race and I always wondered why they don't follow the widespread advice of balls of the feet. Maybe I see them wrong, after all theyre going a hundred or so.
Here's Bayliss' cornering technique where you can see his foot position......in the wet too:scared

Thanks for the info Eyespy:thumbup

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think for the most part riding on the balls of your feet is best. In any sport if you want to be active and balanced you’re on the balls of your feet. It’s the same on a bike.

Riding with the foot peg in the arch of your inside foot (left foot in a left turn) is a bad idea. You can catch you toes on the ground and wrap them around the foot peg. Ouch!

I know many riders that move their feet for each turn, keeping the foot peg in the arch of the outside foot and having it on the ball of their inside foot. I can see where this might help them stay locked onto the bike a little better and if you can do it great.

I ride on the balls of my feet at all times, except when I have to shift gears. I think moving your feet for each turn probably works pretty well but for me it would be one more thing for me to think about. If moving your feet for each turn comes natural for you then I don’t think there is anything wrong with riding this way. But I don’t think there is much to gain if you don’t already do it.

·
Full Time Post Whore
9,058 Posts
Good info Eye....

I ride with my feet balls on the peg but once in a turn, I use the heel guard of the outside foot as a pivot point by touching it with my heel..Is that correct way?

·
An accident waiting to happen
124 Posts
Was just reading another posting showing an AWESOME pic, http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113090. Further down someone mentioned the source so of course I had to see if I could find more. They're on http://www.britishsuperbike.com. While browsing the gallery I reallized the pics would be helpful with your question. Even though the pics are smaller than ones on the MotoGP website I think the action shots are much better.

Not entirely related but cool as hell is the Brands Hatch race where #2 rider is almost kneedragging and looking backwards at his teammate.

-Swift

·
flipper
1,279 Posts
Ozzy_R1_demon said:
Here's Bayliss' cornering technique where you can see his foot position......in the wet too:scared

Thanks for the info Eyespy:thumbup
That is an awsome photo and you see that Bayliss has the ball of his inner foot on the peg which allows him to lift himself up after the corner and he has moved the outer foot position slightly for his knee to better grip the tank and act as an anchor. The CSS teach this technique and so maybe Keith Code can add something here? I've added a pic of my outside foot position which works for me which is sort of similar and I ride on the balls of my feet. :thumbup

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts