Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

15461 - 15480 of 15530 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,193 Posts
I carry the same thing.
I wasn't too crazy about it at first. Was carrying my 10mm most of the time, and bringing the M&P to class. But after shooting it a bunch for demos I got to like the feel. Even more so after I installed the Apex trigger. Now I'll shoot that thing all day long. Even went back to buying .40 S&W by the thousand.

·
INSTIGATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE
22,029 Posts

·
22,029 Posts

·
11,746 Posts

·
22,029 Posts
I have been doing great, How about you? The same I hope. Did you ever get that business started?
Yep, getting the website lined up now as soon as the processor clears.

·
22,029 Posts

·
11,746 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,193 Posts
New wheel gun.

S&W 460 V .460 magnum with Bushnell Elite 3500 scope.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,193 Posts
Finally chased down the last factory metal replacement piece for this. Now that a successor has been named, I wanted to have the other service pistol I was armed with (the first obviously being the 1911, because - old as dirt :lol ). In all seriousness probably the most trusted semi-automatic pistol I've ever shot due to the time it was my service pistol.

Attachments

·
9,240 Posts
Has anyone traveled with their weapon via airplane?

What's the protocol? And any helpful hints?

I have a CWP from Virginia. I am driving with my weapon through NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, LA and TX.

And it looks like all but Georgia is Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity. In Georgia what do I need to do to travel through the state?

Thank for help in advance!

·
Super Moderator
45,329 Posts

I have a CWP from Virginia. I am driving with my weapon through NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, LA and TX.

And it looks like all but Georgia is Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity. In Georgia what do I need to do to travel through the state?

I travel via airline quite a bit with weapons, and it is pretty simple to do. you have to "declare" it when you check your luggage, then they will fill out a card that goes in the case with the gun and have you close it and lock it. It has to be unloaded and no ammo with it, and it has to be locked using YOUR lock(s)......NOT one of the TSA approved luggage locks. TSA is NOT supposed to be able to unlock it, they have to request YOU to do it, which means you will be there when (if) it happens. Don't let anybody tell you differently, and don't give your keys to anybody in TSA or the airline who may be askig for them. You, and only you are supposed to unlock it. Master Lock makes some nice little gold colored key locks that are very good. The destination airport may let your luggage come out the usual carousel, or they may pull it aside and ask you for ID to retrieve it.

I almost got arrested at the Jackson Hole, WY airport because of a stupid ass TSA employee and airline employee who did not know their own rules. They paged me to the ticket counter and said they needed my keys for TSA to inspect my gun case. I refused and said they cannot unlock it. They said it was already in "the back" and I could not go back there, yet I still refused. I told them they would have to bring it out and I would unlock it per TSA's rules. Still no dice. They said I could be thrown off the flight, or arrested, or both....and called TSA security down to the ticket counter, who promplty told the fcvktards at the ticket counter that I was the only one who could unlock it, then proceeded to ask them how they didn't know that due to the large number of guns that pass through the Jackson Hole airport. TSA security guy gave me the "sorry about these idiots" look, I returned with the " I understand everybody has to work with dipsheots" nod, and that was that. Of course the airline guy proceeded to keep bitching and mumbling and complaing that they's always done it this way....blah....blah...blah.

Moral of the story: look up the TSA rules and know them. Print the one concerning firearms and take it with you. It's not a hard process at all....takes (maybe) an extra 2 minutes.

·
Just happy to be here...
1,749 Posts

You need NOTHING to drive through GA, here's the problem.... You legally cannot have a loaded gun in the car with you..... Cause you don't have reciprocity there. But my answer to that is don't get pulled over, and if you do, put it under the seat. Or have it concealed on your person.... How many bad decisions have to happen for you to be searched.... No one should know you have it. And your not legally required to tell a cop that you have a CCW or that you ARE CARRYING A GUN.

I travel all over the east coast with weapons AND suppressors and sometimes machine guns*(according to ATF, full auto stuff) for my Job, but in certain places like GA, NY, MA and so on and so on.... I still feel the need to protect myself.

I look at it this way, I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6, and I have been pulled over, and I have been questioned about my cargo. It's no ones business. You're safety trumps stupid laws IMO.

·
Super Moderator
24,193 Posts
Kmac beat me to the airline stuff. And as usual, he hit the nail on the head. Please be familiar with the TSA requirements, because more often than not; they are not.

As far as driving, you can generally transport through states that don't share reciprocity as long as the gun is empty and apart from ammunition. It must be inaccessible to the passenger area (trunk) and it's a very good idea to have it in a locked container. I have problems with the passenger area thing, because truck, SUV, hatchback. So I keep boxes like this available:.

It's also what I recommend for trunk storage when traveling into non-reciprocal states. I stop in car washes or similar BEFORE entering a state that isn't reciprocal and transfer guns into locked boxes and then travel.

One of these days they will settle the 21 year old thing and possibly enter a reciprocity agreement.

If you'd like to confirm with GA before traveling, call 1-800-436-7442 (1-800- georgia) during normal working hours.

*Edit: And Banky beat me to the driving stuff because I wanted a pic :cryin

Attachments

·
9,240 Posts
You need NOTHING to drive through GA, here's the problem.... You legally cannot have a loaded gun in the car with you..... Cause you don't have reciprocity there. But my answer to that is don't get pulled over, and if you do, put it under the seat. Or have it concealed on your person.... How many bad decisions have to happen for you to be searched.... No one should know you have it. And your not legally required to tell a cop that you have a CCW or that you ARE CARRYING A GUN.

I travel all over the east coast with weapons AND suppressors and sometimes machine guns*(according to ATF, full auto stuff) for my Job, but in certain places like GA, NY, MA and so on and so on.... I still feel the need to protect myself.

I look at it this way, I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6, and I have been pulled over, and I have been questioned about my cargo. It's no ones business. You're safety trumps stupid laws IMO.
In the state of Virginia-you are suppose to give them your CWP with your license and registration. When they pull your drivers license it shows up in their system that your are a CWP holder.

And hiding your gun under your seat isn't that considered concealing a weapon??

I'm driving by myself to Texas and it seems Georgia is he only state I really have to worry about.

Kmac beat me to the airline stuff. And as usual, he hit the nail on the head. Please be familiar with the TSA requirements, because more often than not; they are not.

As far as driving, you can generally transport through states that don't share reciprocity as long as the gun is empty and apart from ammunition. It must be inaccessible to the passenger area (trunk) and it's a very good idea to have it in a locked container. I have problems with the passenger area thing, because truck, SUV, hatchback. So I keep boxes like this available:.

It's also what I recommend for trunk storage when traveling into non-reciprocal states. I stop in car washes or similar BEFORE entering a state that isn't reciprocal and transfer guns into locked boxes and then travel.

One of these days they will settle the 21 year old thing and possibly enter a reciprocity agreement.

If you'd like to confirm with GA before traveling, call 1-800-436-7442 (1-800- georgia) during normal working hours.

*Edit: And Banky beat me to the driving stuff because I wanted a pic
I pulled the TSA transporting firearms info: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

And I'll definitely print it out like Kmac suggested!

Thanks Dan, I'll call the number to confirm Georgia's traveling with a weapon.

And I guess I'll be looking for a good case with a lock to transport and for TSA.

15461 - 15480 of 15530 Posts